Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Not sure if this was already shared but Poulin shows well in Mitch Brown’s tracking project.

Shooting numbers are encouraging for a guy who’s considered a bit more of a playmaker.

73CDFE86-CFAE-4D03-96DB-0691D3A25605.jpeg

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, he feels more like a winger version of Oscar Sundqvist if anything.

I hope your wrong because Sundqvist was so slow and his first few steps are really bad. Sundqvist would of never started in our lineup. Maybe he can do okay in a system built on toughness. I sure hope Bjorkvist is a better skater and fits Sullivan’s forechecking system.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Obviously hope I’m wrong but I simply don’t understand the hype around him. I haven’t seen remotely enough offensive ability to be more than a fringe third liner, if I’m being honest.
What was Hornqvist projected to be?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I don't think if anyone 'projected' Guentzel to be a 30+ goal scorer that he'd have gone in the mid-3rd round.

So even the "best case scenario" projections (like the Penguins projection of Caulfield being only a bottom-6 guy) can be off.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Those guys are pretty rare though and we're talking projections at 18, not 22.

Still - lets see what Bjorkqvist is in the pro game before making too many statements.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyone want to summarize it, for those of us who missed it?

Very good at using his stick and reach to defend without getting too physical, very calm (sometimes too calm), defends in a pro way already but his late blossoming attacking game isn't promising for his future success - his comparables by points have him as a 7% chance to succeed, but his style of game means that his chances are probably better.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Very good at using his stick and reach to defend without getting too physical, very calm (sometimes too calm), defends in a pro way already but his late blossoming attacking game isn't promising for his future success - his comparables by points have him as a 7% chance to succeed, but his style of game means that his chances are probably better.
giphy.gif

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, he's a defensive D who led his team's D in points/game (by a healthy margin) the last two seasons before being traded. He's not auditioning to be the next M.A. Pouliot.
That’s true, by most accounts [including my own] he’s a defense-first PMD, that has skills but uses them for defending, not producing.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea the article basically said if you look strictly at points he’s a 7% chance. Everything else about him is pro level. Projects to be a 2nd or 3rd pair D

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Is Addison able to play in the AHL this season? I can never remember the rules.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is Addison able to play in the AHL this season? I can never remember the rules.

He’s not, he’s in juniors for the year.

Not sure if that means he can’t until his team is eliminated then can go to WBS.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

It's so hard to project how a 17/18 year old will grow and what kind of commitment they will have to getting stronger. Not everyone is Hornqvist or Bjorkqvist who really commits to getting bigger and strong.

Yeah I don't think if anyone 'projected' Guentzel to be a 30+ goal scorer that he'd have gone in the mid-3rd round.

So even the "best case scenario" projections (like the Penguins projection of Caulfield being only a bottom-6 guy) can be off.

The thing with Guentzel was always that he has the brain. As long as I have been reading about prospects, if a guy is praised for his hockey sense, he usually turns into something.

The most shocking thing about Guentzel to me isn't even the fact he scores. He has always been a scorer. It's the fact he's 180 pounds and doesn't get bullied around. He goes to dirty areas and is able to stand in there. It's really unbelievable to me.

That’s true, by most accounts [including my own] he’s a defense-first PMD, that has skills but uses them for defending, not producing.

So Dumoulin or Pettersson?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Are there any publications now that do full sail in depth prospect rankings/team talent pool rankings? I loosely follow prospects for other teams, but I am curious as to where systems rank and who are the next wave of guys looking to make an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia