Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Good for him. Would suck for us if he turned into the next Jake Muzzin

That would be the turn around to end all turn arounds. Does he fight? maybe he gets turned into a 4th line scrapper. He did make Canada's WJC U18 team, interesting to see how the rest of that team have done.

PAJEN NORDGREN

Jul 23, 2018
Stockholm
That would be the turn around to end all turn arounds. Does he fight? maybe he gets turned into a 4th line scrapper. He did make Canada's WJC U18 team, interesting to see how the rest of that team have done.

A few other busts on that WJC U18 team. Fourth liner Tyler Jost was the star and echler Evan Fitzpatrick the goalie.

PAJEN NORDGREN

Jul 23, 2018
Stockholm
They're still only 21, too early to call them busts. No real standouts thus far though.
True, bust is a bit unfair. But it is unusual that none of the best 18 year olds from three years ago from the greatest hockey nation in the world plays at a higher level.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Jost was rushed, just like Sam Bennett and Puljujarvi. There’s still some onus on the player to prove they can be as good as hoped, but it definitely hurts to rush their development. Jost was compared in style to Toews, but he wasn’t as elite and unlike Toews, should have spent more than 1 season in college. Josh Bailey is one of the few players who was rushed that eventually after many years put things together and probably would done that sooner if he spent one more year in the OHL. But others like Turris never quite panned out or majorly inconsistent because they were rushed.

Thankfully the Penguins do a great job of not rushing any of their prospects. If only they didn’t trade so many picks or make poor ones when they did (Morrow, Pouliot, etc.)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Jost was rushed, just like Sam Bennett and Puljujarvi. There’s still some onus on the player to prove they can be as good as hoped, but it definitely hurts to rush their development. Jost was compared in style to Toews, but he wasn’t as elite and unlike Toews, should have spent more than 1 season in college. Josh Bailey is one of the few players who was rushed that eventually after many years put things together and probably would done that sooner if he spent one more year in the OHL. But others like Turris never quite panned out or majorly inconsistent because they were rushed.

Thankfully the Penguins do a great job of not rushing any of their prospects. If only they didn’t trade so many picks or make poor ones when they did (Morrow, Pouliot, etc.)

Yep, the only they messed around was Sprong (not saying that would have saved Sprong but his half season in 15-16 was a huge mistake).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Legare was a great find for the Penguins in the third round. One scout told Dejan at development camp that the Penguins had Legare ranked “in the 20s.”

Wow thats pretty crazy. Great find in the third round then.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I can't say I agree with Pavlychev being a top 10 prospect, but I'm definitely happy with his progress since joining PSU.
I’d say he’s top 10 based on possible nhl potential. He’s not high end, but I think he’ll make it due to his size mixed with grit and being a good pp/pk player. I’m really looking forward to going to some games this season and checking in on him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I can't say I agree with Pavlychev being a top 10 prospect, but I'm definitely happy with his progress since joining PSU.

Yep, bit weird to have him ahead of Miletic and Angello given they both had good rookie years in WBS. Miletic is the same age as Pavlychev and Angello is a year older.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wheeler released his top 50 drafted prospects for the Athletic, I'm sure people are shocked to hear we were one of 4 teams without a guy in it but he did mention that he's a big Calen Addison fan in the footnotes.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Yep, bit weird to have him ahead of Miletic and Angello given they both had good rookie years in WBS. Miletic is the same age as Pavlychev and Angello is a year older.
Being 6-8 and being just as skilled, if not more skilled, than those players definitely gives him an edge in my book. Pavlychev will be a force to be reckoned with that size.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Wheeler released his top 50 drafted prospects for the Athletic, I'm sure people are shocked to hear we were one of 4 teams without a guy in it but he did mention that he's a big Calen Addison fan in the footnotes.

Yup, will add he really likes Hallander too.

Reactions: Peat

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Same top 8 as ours...with a few different in order.

And Pavlychev is an interesting prospect. If he can build off of last season...having someone with that size/snarl....Pens will love him

That list is spot on imo...other than me having Bellerive higher. He will be 2 years removed from that injury. Gonna surprise alot of people in WBS. Id say he will do a good enough job where he would get a call up in previous years. But we have enough depth already and theres others in WBS who will get their chance first as well(already having a year there)

But he will earn a spot next season. Whether he stays at C(replaces Bjugstad) ...or goes to Crosby's wing(whos built just like him). I actually have him 3rd on my list. He has a solid future here imo.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That list is spot on imo...other than me having Bellerive higher. He will be 2 years removed from that injury. Gonna surprise alot of people in WBS. Id say he will do a good enough job where he would get a call up in previous years. But we have enough depth already and theres others in WBS who will get their chance first as well(already having a year there)

But he will earn a spot next season. Whether he stays at C(replaces Bjugstad) ...or goes to Crosby's wing(whos built just like him). I actually have him 3rd on my list. He has a solid future here imo.

Bellerive really looked like a keeper before the fire.

Everything depends on how well his hand's healed - I hope there are no residual mobility issues, because if his shooting mechanics are even a little off it could hugely affect his potential moving forward. Captain Obvious here, but there's a lot of fine-tuning involved in a snipe. Might be the difference between being a top 6er or a 4th line grunt.

...aaand I just read Haase's article:

He still bears the scars from the burns on his hands, and during this summer's development camp he spoke about how he still experiences tightness from the scars and how he had to modify his hand positioning when he grips his stick because of it.

Ranking the Pittsburgh Penguins' top 10 prospects in 2019

tenor.gif

Reactions: Dominance

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Scars pretty much are what they are. He just needs to adapt, which it seems like he’s done so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->