Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I see a few older players made their debut with the Pens this season, can anyone tell me what kind of players they are and if they have any NHL future? Thanks!

Teddy Blueger
Adam Johnson
Juuso Riikola

Blueger's a forward who's best at C but can play at W. He plays a 200 foot game - very defensively responsible and smart, but also a good playmaker and shot. Decent foot pace, decent size, very smart. There's almost no flaws in his game. I'd expect him to stay in the NHL for the foreseeable.

Johnson's a forward who's best at W but did play at least some C in the AHL. He's another 200 foot player and his main attributes are his speed, speed and speed. Like, he might be only a shade slower than Hagelin. Decent enough hands and IQ too. Bit on the slight side, but seemed to do okay with that. I think it's probably 66/33 as to him being in the AHL or NHL next year, but I think there's probably an NHL future there.

Riikola is a left hand dman who can play a bit on his off hand. He's a weird fish in that he noticeably does a lot of things very well - skates well, big physicality for a medium sized guy, smooth skills - but it never seemed to add up to big overall impacts. I think he probably has an NHL future but may be wrong, and I'm not sure its with us.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Randomly searched Kasper's name in the Twitter machine and it looks like a writer for The Providence Joural tweeted on 4/13 . that he'd be surprised if Kasper doesn't forego and signs, but needs shoulder surgery. Idk how to embed tweets

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To kick off the impending early off season...

Any College FA's or Euro FA's the team should sign?

I've been reading up on Ilya Mikheyev, he's about as safe as it gets for a Sullivan type of player, he's a 2-way player that skates well can PK and play on the powerplay, he's a left handed shot that plays RW, but I think can also play LW. Could be a good cheap target on a 2-way contract to bring in and earn a spot?

Hartley coaches him, oddly enough he wears #66, ha.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Blueger's a forward who's best at C but can play at W. He plays a 200 foot game - very defensively responsible and smart, but also a good playmaker and shot. Decent foot pace, decent size, very smart. There's almost no flaws in his game. I'd expect him to stay in the NHL for the foreseeable.

Johnson's a forward who's best at W but did play at least some C in the AHL. He's another 200 foot player and his main attributes are his speed, speed and speed. Like, he might be only a shade slower than Hagelin. Decent enough hands and IQ too. Bit on the slight side, but seemed to do okay with that. I think it's probably 66/33 as to him being in the AHL or NHL next year, but I think there's probably an NHL future there.

Riikola is a left hand dman who can play a bit on his off hand. He's a weird fish in that he noticeably does a lot of things very well - skates well, big physicality for a medium sized guy, smooth skills - but it never seemed to add up to big overall impacts. I think he probably has an NHL future but may be wrong, and I'm not sure its with us.
AJ to me, looked faster than Hagelin.

That kid skates like he has f***ing hollow bones and weighs like 60lbs.

I feel like he's got some spoiler that pops out like a Porsche just to make sure he doesn't float off.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
To kick off the impending early off season...

Any College FA's or Euro FA's the team should sign?

I've been reading up on Ilya Mikheyev, he's about as safe as it gets for a Sullivan type of player, he's a 2-way player that skates well can PK and play on the powerplay, he's a left handed shot that plays RW, but I think can also play LW. Could be a good cheap target on a 2-way contract to bring in and earn a spot?

Hartley coaches him, oddly enough he wears #66, ha.

Josh Wilkins
Sam Rossini
Mitchell Chaffee
Andrew Gaus (born in Wexford)
Jeff Malott

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Whoops. Left out Jerry Ramjgahsingh.

Don't even dare come at me until you have more information on Alejandro Malkin.

Edit:

It looks like the Pens are interested in Wilkins?
The Penguins have been active in college free agency in the past with players like Zach Aston-Reese, Thomas DiPauli, and Adam Johnson all signing in recent years. It appears that they have their eyes set on the NCAA market once again as Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette noted in a reader chat that they have interest in Providence center Josh Wilkins.
Penguins Interested In Josh Wilkins

Reactions: steelcityassault

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Chaffee seems interesting, just read up on his story...didn't like being passed over, worked hard to get to where he is, is a power forward type and likes to play that sort of game and his frame is quite filled out too at 6' and 200+ lbs. I haven't read anything on his skating and if it needed work but he's a kid that seems to know he has to keep working to round out his game. I know he's a Michigan kid so the Wings might be all over that as they really really love their home growns.

Gaus & Rossini...jeezus, their production is virtually non-existent. Hard pass. Same for the other dude.

Wilkins & Chaffee are the two I would be looking at seriously. A C and a W. We can definitely use more in the pipeline, just kind of sucks we aren't seeing more D prospects like that.

Prow and Addison next year should be fun to watch in WBS.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Don't even dare come at me until you have more information on Alejandro Malkin.

Edit:

It looks like the Pens are interested in Wilkins?

Penguins Interested In Josh Wilkins

A New England hockey reporter tweeted a while back that we've invited Wilkins to development camp.

My guess is that between Lucchini and the possibility of Wilkins, that's probably the team's shortlist of forward NCAA free agents that they're interested in done. They might be looking at some dmen and a goaltender though. And by might, I mean hope. Can't remember any names I'd be super interested in right now though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Chaffee seems interesting, just read up on his story...didn't like being passed over, worked hard to get to where he is, is a power forward type and likes to play that sort of game and his frame is quite filled out too at 6' and 200+ lbs. I haven't read anything on his skating and if it needed work but he's a kid that seems to know he has to keep working to round out his game. I know he's a Michigan kid so the Wings might be all over that as they really really love their home growns.

Gaus & Rossini...jeezus, their production is virtually non-existent. Hard pass. Same for the other dude.

Wilkins & Chaffee are the two I would be looking at seriously. A C and a W. We can definitely use more in the pipeline, just kind of sucks we aren't seeing more D prospects like that.

Prow and Addison next year should be fun to watch in WBS.

Is Addison A eligible next season?

Thought he didn’t turn 20 until next spring.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
WB/S signed a few college guys to either AHL deals or tryouts last week. Lucchini was NHL deal.

Jake Lucchini - Michigan Tech
Looks extremely polished with the puck and has great speed
7 points in 15 games with WBS

Brandon Hawkins - Northeastern
2 points in 5 games
Showed flashes of potential. Caught NHL'er Seney in final game of season from 3 lines back on a breakaway -- can skate his ass off

Chris Brown
1 pt in 3 games
Minor league FWD

Michael Kim
Boston College
1 pt in 2 games
Can move the puck on D

Chase Berger
Penn State
2 pts in 6 games
Most impressive college player besides Lucchini. Great smarts with size. Always on the puck.

Jon Lizotte
St. Cloud State
2 pts in 3 games
Big Dman that can do a bit of everything. Think he will be in WBS top 6 D next season.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
So who should we target with our 1st round pick? We finished 9th so I guess someone around 19-21 depending who advances?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So who should we target with our 1st round pick? We finished 9th so I guess someone around 19-21 depending who advances?

I have some faves but some names in that vicinity and beyond to have a look at if you're bored:

Alexander Newhook
Cam York
Connor McMichael
Arthur Kaliyev
Ryan Suzuki
Cole Caufield
Matthew Boldy
Moritz Seider
Bobby Brink
Raphaël Lavoie
Thomas Harley
Matthew Robertson
Phillip Tomasino
Brett Leason
Ville Heinola
Jakob Pelletier
Nils Höglander
Samuel Poulin
Nathan Légaré

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have some faves but some names in that vicinity and beyond to have a look at if you're bored:

Alexander Newhook
Cam York
Connor McMichael
Arthur Kaliyev
Ryan Suzuki
Cole Caufield
Matthew Boldy
Moritz Seider
Bobby Brink
Raphaël Lavoie
Thomas Harley
Matthew Robertson
Phillip Tomasino
Brett Leason
Ville Heinola
Jakob Pelletier
Nils Höglander
Samuel Poulin
Nathan Légaré
I love Kaliyev and I’m fairly intrigued by Poulin as well, but I haven’t seen all the players available.

Kinda interested in Broberg too... just an incredible skater for any size let alone 6’3” 205, but he’s only really shown offensive flashes at lower levels like the Hlinka tournament so there’s some question marks there.

Seider gives me a “bust” vibe but I don’t know why. Just don’t like him.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Philip Broberg is exactly what this team needs. Size, speed, decisiveness. I honestly don't see him or Soderstrom being available at where the Pens pick. It seems like the draft is more top heavy with forward prospects so a team is more than likely going to grab a defender early.

Reactions: steelcityassault

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Victor Soderstrom is the player I'd want, but I think he'll get picked in the top 15, so we'd have to move up.

Philip Broberg is exactly what this team needs. Size, speed, decisiveness. I honestly don't see him or Soderstrom being available at where the Pens pick. It seems like the draft is more top heavy with forward prospects so a team is more than likely going to grab a defender early.

Definitely wouldn't be against a defenseman with our pick. Broberg sounds intriguing, seems like he has all the tools just needs to work on the mental side of the game.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Its deffo top heavy on forward with no high end D by most guides I've read, but I'd have thought that would have resulted in teams not picking D at the top of the draft unless they really really needed one or something. As such, I feel like its possible that guys like them could drop down.

Might be a bit of a run on them when they do start getting picked though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Have seen real questions about his decision-making, all from people who know more about prospects than me.

Its deffo top heavy on forward with no high end D by most guides I've read, but I'd have thought that would have resulted in teams not picking D at the top of the draft unless they really really needed one or something. As such, I feel like its possible that guys like them could drop down.

Might be a bit of a run on them when they do start getting picked though.

I figure some D will get overdrafted just because it’s a thinner group this year and that could push a higher end forward down to the Pens.

Not necessarily opposed to drafting a blueliner but I just want the best prospect possible in the system, and I think our best chance at getting that in this draft class is gonna be at forward via that type of scenario above. Who knows though.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad