Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I bet we could get a ton for Crosby, Malkin, and Letang as well.

In all seriousness, though- this team shouldn't be off-loading contributing players for picks/prospects who wont be able to help the team or years, if ever. I know Kessel bothers people sometimes, but the man produces and is on an INCREDIBLE deal. I can get behind trading Maatta- we have a plethora of D that a making too much, and one, if not two, need to go. Maatta probably has the most value of Maatta/Johnson/Gudbranson, so... I can see it, even if I dont particularly like it.

With the first, I really hope the organization just goes for BPA (so long as it is not a goalie, I guess). As much as this board is optimistic about the pipeline, no Pens' prospect is a can't-miss high-impact player. Draft the best player, and go from there.

A Kessel trade is actually quite possible this offseason though.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I am talking about a very specific part of the cupboard, that is forwards who won't have started their ELCs next season. The likely high number for that is three, and two is about as likely as three. It'll be one after a year as things stand. We don't have a stockpile of long term college prospects that'll bolster the wave of guys we'll be looking for to be cheap depth players when we have to start paying the incoming wave of Bellerive, Almeida et all in 3-5 years time; we need to be drafting for those guys over the next couple of rounds.

Rutherford seems very good at finding those types either free as college free agents or late round picks. I am not worried about the wave of depth players after Bellerive, Almeida, Johnson, and others. Honestly by the time we need more of those types after this group our Cup contender days will be over. We might make a push like the Sharks did making it to the Cup Finals with some star players in the mid 30’s but let’s face it these next couple years is our best chances.

I agree if the Pens build a strong group around the aging core they could still be strong because I think Crosby will still be one the best players in the league for a long time. I could still see Crosby being above point a game player with great 200 foot game into his upper 30’s if he stays healthy.

It’s funny after writing this a agree with you that we better keep it going because I think Crosby will be great for a long time and Murray is a good young goaltender. If JR keeps making trades like this year adding youth for older UFA players maybe this team can be a top contender for many more years. Getting Pettersson, McCann, Bjugstad, and Gudbranson all with 3 years of control or more this year for UFA players and a floundering prospect was a good way to keep this team competitive for years. It will be hard to pull that off each year but that was amazing asset management for the future while also helping the present.

Reactions: Dominance

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
A Kessel trade is actually quite possible this offseason though.

If we have a bad playoffs you might be right but I wouldn’t do it unless it was a great deal. I just don’t see it being worth a deal unless they are giving us a younger top end player and why would a team do that. Hard to get better production for $6.8 million. Kessel still finished top 25 this season and was top 10 last year. For a team wanting to win now you can do a lot worse than having Kessel in your lineup. When you can trade UFA’s that are playing poorly for young players with term that are productive why trade one of your best RW? For the right deal I would think about it but it would have to make our team better.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rutherford seems very good at finding those types either free as college free agents or late round picks. I am not worried about the wave of depth players after Bellerive, Almeida, Johnson, and others. Honestly by the time we need more of those types after this group our Cup contender days will be over. We might make a push like the Sharks did making it to the Cup Finals with some star players in the mid 30’s but let’s face it these next couple years is our best chances.

I agree if the Pens build a strong group around the aging core they could still be strong because I think Crosby will still be one the best players in the league for a long time. I could still see Crosby being above point a game player with great 200 foot game into his upper 30’s if he stays healthy.

It’s funny after writing this a agree with you that we better keep it going because I think Crosby will be great for a long time and Murray is a good young goaltender. If JR keeps making trades like this year adding youth for older UFA players maybe this team can be a top contender for many more years. Getting Pettersson, McCann, Bjugstad, and Gudbranson all with 3 years of control or more this year for UFA players and a floundering prospect was a good way to keep this team competitive for years. It will be hard to pull that off each year but that was amazing asset management for the future while also helping the present.

Well he can't find them if he doesn't pick forwards :laugh: I think you might be misunderstanding why I originally made the comment - it was solely in refutation of someone saying Rutherford should pick Dmen only next draft; not only do I prefer BPA, but also by the time these guys will come good, we'll need forwards as much as D and maybe more.

As for the rest of it - I think Rutherford's just got to take it one year at a time without doing anything silly. Part of that does involve him making the team younger and keeping the pipeline as strong as possible without sacrificing now just in case we can do a San Jose, but as you say the next few years are probably the best chance so we've got to concentrate on them.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Well he can't find them if he doesn't pick forwards :laugh: I think you might be misunderstanding why I originally made the comment - it was solely in refutation of someone saying Rutherford should pick Dmen only next draft; not only do I prefer BPA, but also by the time these guys will come good, we'll need forwards as much as D and maybe more.

As for the rest of it - I think Rutherford's just got to take it one year at a time without doing anything silly. Part of that does involve him making the team younger and keeping the pipeline as strong as possible without sacrificing now just in case we can do a San Jose, but as you say the next few years are probably the best chance so we've got to concentrate on them.

I agree with you about drafting best player available and posted that myself earlier in this thread.

I really am amazed at how good Rutherford is at improving the team not only for the current year but also the future at the same time. That is something Shero was very bad at and so was Patrick.

When you look at the team when Rutherford took over in the summer of 2014 and see how he has transformed it into a young group around the core is pretty amazing considering going for it every year. From that 2014 playoff roster that played in those playoffs only Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Maatta are left since Rutherford has taken over. Gone are the Scuderi, Kunitz, Glass, Adams, Goc, Vitale, Gibbons, Stempniak, Sutter, Beannette, Bortuzzo, Martin, and others. Of those players from that playoffs not on our team now only Niskanen and maybe Neal could make our team over someone playing now. Pretty impressive overhaul that he did most of the dumping in a year and a half’s time and transformed into Cup Champs having to unload so many slower aging unproductive players was simply HOF GMing. This season’s trades have been again just amazing transformation of assets. I think Rutherford is very under appreciated on this board.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
If we have a bad playoffs you might be right but I wouldn’t do it unless it was a great deal. I just don’t see it being worth a deal unless they are giving us a younger top end player and why would a team do that. Hard to get better production for $6.8 million. Kessel still finished top 25 this season and was top 10 last year. For a team wanting to win now you can do a lot worse than having Kessel in your lineup. When you can trade UFA’s that are playing poorly for young players with term that are productive why trade one of your best RW? For the right deal I would think about it but it would have to make our team better.
Unfortunately, there’s at least a 50% chance on any given night right now that we’d be a better team if we only traded Kessel for picks. Addition by subtraction.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I agree with you about drafting best player available and posted that myself earlier in this thread.

I really am amazed at how good Rutherford is at improving the team not only for the current year but also the future at the same time. That is something Shero was very bad at and so was Patrick.

When you look at the team when Rutherford took over in the summer of 2014 and see how he has transformed it into a young group around the core is pretty amazing considering going for it every year. From that 2014 playoff roster that played in those playoffs only Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Maatta are left since Rutherford has taken over. Gone are the Scuderi, Kunitz, Glass, Adams, Goc, Vitale, Gibbons, Stempniak, Sutter, Beannette, Bortuzzo, Martin, and others. Of those players from that playoffs not on our team now only Niskanen and maybe Neal could make our team over someone playing now. Pretty impressive overhaul that he did most of the dumping in a year and a half’s time and transformed into Cup Champs having to unload so many slower aging unproductive players was simply HOF GMing. This season’s trades have been again just amazing transformation of assets. I think Rutherford is very under appreciated on this board.

I made a post earlier this year about never wanting back anyone JR traded away. The trades don't always end up a fit here but the guy we lost never evokes regret IMO. JR at the very least knows who's not important on this roster going forward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’d try and take a Newhook or Pelletier in round 1. Then after we trade Maatta for 2 2nds or something, look for Brett Leason. Also maybe some picks from a Kessel trade.

We would be lucky to get two 2nd round picks from a team for Olli Maatta. I seriously mean that.

Because for one, only a few teams have two 2nd round picks in the draft. Devils and Rangers have 3 I think.

Rangers (they have 3) - Olli could be a top pairing defenseman, that Rangers D is bad. Real bad.
Carolina - Lol, no chance in hell they would want Olli. Olli would barely be a 7th on that team.
Canadiens - I don't think they'd bother either. He'd be on their what, 3rd pairing?
Devils (they have 3 2nds)- Will Shero take his crap back? Please? I think they have 3 second round picks.
Red Wings - They like speed now, Olli is likely not even on their radar...ever.

Devils could be a player here, if Shero likes to hoard his old crap which he seems to like to and might see Olli as a project he can fix or find the right solution for, like being Severson's partner or Vatanen's. He has a lot of solid RD's but not many good LD's and has been desperately trying to fix that. Greene is 36 and likely done very very soon and then it's Will Butcher. Olli would be a huge add for them.

Man, now I am praying for the Devils to want Olli.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sounds like he has a great attitude.
The kid oozes future captain. By the time Sid hangs 'em up at the end of his contract, Jake will be like 32yrs old and needing a new deal before Sid's final year. Kasper would be the right age to be the future Captain and the guy already is one in College.

I also 100% admit, I am a f***ing huge Kasper fan boy.

If he does leave after this season and signs, holy shit, I might be excited for his summer regardless of what happens with the playoffs.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

The turnovers on the PP and 5 on 5 leading to goals against. Id say thats not far fetched at this point dating back to the deadline. The odd case of Brassard and Phil. Neither have been the same since.

Also have to consider Malkin upping his game without Phil on his line.

Not giving up on him yet but Id like to see him with Bjugstad if him and Geno can't gel. We cant have the same mistakes we had last year that led to the Caps beating us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hallander is definitely playing in WBS next year due to that news of Tmira getting relegated. He was already probably going to be playing in WBS next year anyway, but this basically makes it definitive. The Allsvenskan is definitely a lower caliber league than the AHL, while the SHL is on par or better than the AHL, him playing in that league wouldn't be good for his development.

Reactions: td_ice

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hallander is definitely playing in WBS next year due to that news of Tmira getting relegated. He was already probably going to be playing in WBS next year anyway, but this basically makes it definitive. The Allsvenskan is definitely a lower caliber league than the AHL, while the SHL is on par or better than the AHL, him playing in that league wouldn't be good for his development.

WBS gon be filled to the brim with kids

Reactions: td_ice

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

It’s not definite. WBS is crowded and Pens could just loan him to another SHL team. He’s not bound to play for Timra.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s not definite. WBS is crowded and Pens could just loan him to another SHL team. He’s not bound to play for Timra.

I don't think that's how it works. Tmira owns his SHL rights, the same way that Skellefteå owned Sundqvist's rights and KalPa owned Kapanen's rights. I don't think you can just pick a SHL team to loan him to willy nilly.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How do they choose what team to loan him to?

Because he's contracted to us, not them. Or do you mean which team would they pick? In which case, don't know.

That said - while they can loan him to another SHL team - I think that once you've got to uproot the kid and set him down somewhere fresh anyway, there's one less reason to leave him in Sweden and bring him to WBS. I don't think that's going to be the deciding factor - it'll be a question of more gym and practice time vs more game time and having him in North America - but I think its in the equation.

edit: p.s. @Empoleon8771 -

The full details are there in the twitter chain.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's interesting then, especially how she thinks that Bjorkqvist is "probably" turning pro next year. If they have that many young guys turning pro next year, I think they'd be better off cutting some of the older players and making a spot for Hallander than sending Hallander back to Europe.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah more so how do they choose which team to loan him to. Do the Penguins have final say or I assume the SHL team has to agree to it too?

Do they pick a really good team to loan him to or a bad one or something in between?

They could bring him to camp first and even start him in the AHL, and if it looks like he's unlikely to play a significant role they can then loan him back to Sweden. But I guess the risk there is that their season will already be well under way with roles defined and chemistry made.

A year in Allsvenskan might not b e the end of the world.. OEL and Filip Forsberg played there before coming to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad