Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's interesting then, especially how she thinks that Bjorkqvist is "probably" turning pro next year. If they have that many young guys turning pro next year, I think they'd be better off cutting some of the older players and making a spot for Hallander than sending Hallander back to Europe.

Not sure I'm following the logic here.

For me, its all about how close he is to NHL ready. If they're very confident he'll be NHL ready by the end of next season, bring him over. If not, I think the SHL will develop him more.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not sure I'm following the logic here.

For me, its all about how close he is to NHL ready. If they're very confident he'll be NHL ready by the end of next season, bring him over. If not, I think the SHL will develop him more.

They can have more of a hand in Hallander's development in the AHL than they'd have if he was in the SHL. The SHL is probably a better league, but they can tailor Hallander's development much more to how they see fit if he's in the AHL.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah more so how do they choose which team to loan him to. Do the Penguins have final say or I assume the SHL team has to agree to it too?

Do they pick a really good team to loan him to or a bad one or something in between?

They could bring him to camp first and even start him in the AHL, and if it looks like he's unlikely to play a significant role they can then loan him back to Sweden. But I guess the risk there is that their season will already be well under way with roles defined and chemistry made.

A year in Allsvenskan might not b e the end of the world.. OEL and Filip Forsberg played there before coming to the NHL.

No idea how that process works but I’d imagine you pick the most competitive team possible that would feature him in a huge role (L1, PP1, PK1) as a core forward, right?

Agree on bringing him to camp tho. Worst case he’s gotta go back and form some chemistry like you say, but at least he gets exposure to the NA game and meets the guys and all.

Allsvenkan is a good league and it’s not disastrous for him to play there but idk how I feel about him jumping back down a level competition wise, especially since he already played in that league and had success.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They can have more of a hand in Hallander's development in the AHL than they'd have if he was in the SHL. The SHL is probably a better league, but they can tailor Hallander's development much more to how they see fit if he's in the AHL.
But there's going to be a shitload of other young forwards too. The left side is stocked with Bellerive, Miletic, Almeida, probably Johnson.. on the right side he's behind Haggerty, Angello and maybe Bjorkqvist if he signs. He's a better prospect than all of those guys (Haggerty is not even a prospect but he's an established AHLer) but he's younger and less experienced than all of them too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Oh, I thought you were making a link between the young players coming in and wanting Hallander.

You're certainly not wrong about having more of a hand - but I'd counter that the SHL is just a better development opportunity. In which case, it comes down to how much you trust the SHL coach to do things right. Don't trust, you bring him in for oversight. Trust, and you leave him there.

Which to answer @Jacob 's question, I think that's the big thing you're looking for in moving him to a different SHL club - not the quality of the team, but the quality of the coach.

And my guess is that, yes, the SHL team has to agree - we can't just assign. I don't think it'd be that hard to find takers though, but maybe the one coach you trust most is all "Sorry, we have enough forwards already".

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I think this will be the teams logic too. Pens are about the “now”.

Maybe another reason they’ll bring him to camp, to get a accurate feel for where he is in terms of NHL readiness?

I don’t mind him overseas. Ladder system and player development is fantastic over there. Seems like Sweden really has a vested interest in turning these kids into great NHLers. And he’s been consistently progressing which you don’t always see; so they’ve clearly done a great job so far.

He’s in good hands either way imo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But there's going to be a ****load of other young forwards too. The left side is stocked with Bellerive, Miletic, Almeida, probably Johnson.. on the right side he's behind Haggerty, Angello and maybe Bjorkqvist if he signs. He's a better prospect than all of those guys (Haggerty is not even a prospect but he's an established AHLer) but he's younger and less experienced than all of them too.

I imagine that at least 1 or Bellerive, Almeida or Hallander plays center for WBS if all 3 would be on the team. Plus I think Johnson likely makes the Penguins next year as either their 12th forward or one of their spare forwards, Blandisi is also in that boat.

It's just hard to tell because I'm not sure what WBS forwards are under contract for next year. Like is Sexton or Burton under contract? Would they want to replace those guys with more veteran AHLers instead of going full youth? It's hard to tell. I do think there will be subtractions (Johnson and Blandisi in the NHL, DiPauli and Dea probably not re-signed, ect), I just don't know how they'll replace those subtractions.

Also looking at WBS's stats, I completely forgot Jarry scored a goal earlier this year. I had to do a double take when I saw 1 goal and 4 assists :laugh:

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I imagine that at least 1 or Bellerive, Almeida or Hallander plays center for WBS if all 3 would be on the team. Plus I think Johnson likely makes the Penguins next year as either their 12th forward or one of their spare forwards, Blandisi is also in that boat.

It's just hard to tell because I'm not sure what WBS forwards are under contract for next year. Like is Sexton or Burton under contract? Would they want to replace those guys with more veteran AHLers instead of going full youth? It's hard to tell. I do think there will be subtractions (Johnson and Blandisi in the NHL, DiPauli and Dea probably not re-signed, ect), I just don't know how they'll replace those subtractions.

Also looking at WBS's stats, I completely forgot Jarry scored a goal earlier this year. I had to do a double take when I saw 1 goal and 4 assists :laugh:

Better than some of our dmen probably.

Anyway - I think they'll want a few veteran AHLers there, simply to show the kids how it's done and punch people in the face if needed. Most of them will be on D, but I imagine there'll be a few guys like Sexton and Cramarossa scattered amongst the forwards.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hallander chooses witch team in Sweden he wants to play for if hes not coming over. He can pick any team, not bound to Timra.

That's good news, the SHL is probably the best place for him next year.

I was under the impression that he had a very strong connection to Timra though.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
That's good news, the SHL is probably the best place for him next year.

I was under the impression that he had a very strong connection to Timra though.
He has, for sure. It’s his youth club.

But im pretty sure that they(Penguins) want him to play in the SHL, if thats the case ofc he will do that. Even if it wouldn’t be that bad for him to play in Allsvenskan imo.

Time will tell.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He has, for sure. It’s his youth club.

But im pretty sure that they(Penguins) want him to play in the SHL, if thats the case ofc he will do that. Even if it wouldn’t be that bad for him to play in Allsvenskan imo.

Time will tell.
Yeah I don't think it's a huge deal either way. If he stays in the top league it'll be important to pick a team that's willing to play him, or that needs to play him, which might be tough since he's basically only going to be a 1 season rental and the team will have no vested interest in his long-term development. I'd hate for there to be a situation where he struggles out of the gate for whatever reason and then gets relegated to the 4th line for the rest of the year.

Reactions: StaalForOne

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
A little late but hey, in case you didn't already know.
The 19yo Drozg Lord led Slovenia to a gold medal earlier this year in the 1-B junior world championship. He was named best player of the tournament and piled 12pts in 5gp.

I can see this 5th rounder secure a top spot in WBS in a couple of years. His upside like Peat said, is hard to tell because even though his Q junior production lacked the numbers for a top liner, he did play with one of the worst Q team ever. Notice that he scored 5 f***ing goals against the crazy good super stacked Huskies in a David vs Goliath 1rst round Q playoffs.

He takes a little too many penalties but that may just be based on his ferociousness.
Sha_DrozgJan_201810-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Providence knocked out by Minnesota Duluth. Wilkins scored the lone goal. Wonder how long they take to sign Bjorkqvist now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad