Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Would be funny if it wasn't for the parallels. I've read a few too many "needs to work on his skating and playmaking" remarks about Bjorkqvist...

I mean, the article says a lot of complimentary things. It's good for a prospect to have those attributes, it just seems like the org often prioritizes them all out of proportion relative to high-end skill.

Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, the article says a lot of complimentary things. It's good for a prospect to have those attributes, it just seems like the org often prioritizes them all out of proportion relative to high-end skill.

Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

A lot of complimentary things were said about ZAR too. For much the same reasons.

And... well, honestly, I sympathise with their position to a certain extent given our roster (although not to the extent they seemed to be taking it, Drozg and Almeida in consecutive drafts is a welcome sign that its not everything). Its when they prioritise it over skating as well I start to haver. There's not many low skill, indifferent skating players in this league any more.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A lot of complimentary things were said about ZAR too. For much the same reasons.

And... well, honestly, I sympathise with their position to a certain extent given our roster (although not to the extent they seemed to be taking it, Drozg and Almeida in consecutive drafts is a welcome sign that its not everything). Its when they prioritise it over skating as well I start to haver. There's not many low skill, indifferent skating players in this league any more.

Absolutely agree. Like I said, I have severe reservations about what they're prioritizing (as anybody who's seen my post history knows), but ultimately the proof will be in how successful these guys are. Unlikely as it seems to us right now, maybe ZAR really will become the new Hornqvist and Bjorkqvist will follow in that mold.

But if they don't, we'll be left with some pretty underwhelming complementary wingers that the org has put a lot of stock into.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Absolutely agree. Like I said, I have severe reservations about what they're prioritizing (as anybody who's seen my post history knows), but ultimately the proof will be in how successful these guys are. Unlikely as it seems to us right now, maybe ZAR really will become the new Hornqvist and Bjorkqvist will follow in that mold.

But if they don't, we'll be left with some pretty underwhelming complementary wingers that the org has put a lot of stock into.

I guess the odds are one of them plays out? But as you said, we will see.

And what we'll see is Jan Drozg the saviour. I have no evidence for this but book it anyway.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Molinari/Guerin list seems more heavily weighted toward quickest impact and highest likelihood to hit NHL. Bellerive probably has highest upside, but likelihood to stick is probably much lower than some of guys ahead of him.

Size seems to be important to Guerin though, which is weird give current trends in NHL.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Molinari/Guerin list seems more heavily weighted toward quickest impact and highest likelihood to hit NHL. Bellerive probably has highest upside, but likelihood to stick is probably much lower than some of guys ahead of him.

Size seems to be important to Guerin though, which is weird give current trends in NHL.

That wasn't my impression - although I might be wrong. But the guy kills penalties, he's a leader, he's willing to play a gritty style of hockey (a WHL watcher here compared him to Horny in terms of intensity (no, I'm not making it up, even allowing for hyperbole that's solid) plus his PIMs says so at least), and he's (allegedly) an inch shorter and a pound heavier than ZAR so there shouldn't be much athleticism worries. He sounds like a more or less surefire NHLer (which is something a fair number of people said around the draft) with the question being "How good can he be?"

In fairness, a lot of the guys ahead of him do sound very likely to make the NHL. I mean, Pavlychev? If you're 6'8", have muscles on your frame, can skate well and stickhandle well enough for that many college points, you almost have to try to not have an NHL career. But Bellerive sounds pretty likely too.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That wasn't my impression - although I might be wrong. But the guy kills penalties, he's a leader, he's willing to play a gritty style of hockey (a WHL watcher here compared him to Horny in terms of intensity (no, I'm not making it up, even allowing for hyperbole that's solid) plus his PIMs says so at least), and he's (allegedly) an inch shorter and a pound heavier than ZAR so there shouldn't be much athleticism worries. He sounds like a more or less surefire NHLer (which is something a fair number of people said around the draft) with the question being "How good can he be?"

In fairness, a lot of the guys ahead of him do sound very likely to make the NHL. I mean, Pavlychev? If you're 6'8", have muscles on your frame, can skate well and stickhandle well enough for that many college points, you almost have to try to not have an NHL career. But Bellerive sounds pretty likely too.

I could be totally wrong, but how else does one explain him being so much lower on the ranking?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly I doubt Guerin even put much thought into the list. It’s not like such a ranking system would be necessary or worthwhile from the team’s perspective. He probably just listed the names that came to mind first.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I have no idea how Jack Hughes will be in the NHL. (I think he will do well.) But man, he is one of the smoothest skaters I have ever seen. Incredible skater. Like Scott Niedermeyer effortlessness. The scouting report calls him an "electric skater". Boy, they got that right.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I could be totally wrong, but how else does one explain him being so much lower on the ranking?

I'm not sure you're wrong about Guerin's logic, per se; just giving my thoughts on why it would surprise me.

Although I think Addison is ever more of a high ceiling low floor player and he's at 2, so...

Alternate explanations:

Guerin really is that much of a size queen that a stocky 5'11" cuts no ice with him
Guerin is worried about the long term effects of those burns
Guerin is worried about discipline issues
Guerin is really impressed with the potential ceilings of the 6 guys in front of him. Tbf - this maybe isn't that outlandish - Angello probably has the weakest numbers compared to their level of competition out of any of them this season, and Angello is still .46 as an AHL rookie - while also 7th for goals and 3rd for +/- among rookies, while being a 6'5" guy who combines good skating and aggressive hits. There's a bunch of guys who could do really well here.
Guerin had drunk most of a bottle of whisky before coming up with this list

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He’s solid but not really seeing “top 10 pick” out of Podkolzin.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wouldn't mind if the Pens used a draft pick on that Slepets character from Russia.

I know it's not true, but my first instinct was that the Pens prioritize the good ol' college boys.

Even if they're Finnish or Russian.

I have no idea how Jack Hughes will be in the NHL. (I think he will do well.) But man, he is one of the smoothest skaters I have ever seen. Incredible skater. Like Scott Niedermeyer effortlessness. The scouting report calls him an "electric skater". Boy, they got that right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad