Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

tenor.gif

I'll see myself out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Molinari/Guerin list seems more heavily weighted toward quickest impact and highest likelihood to hit NHL. Bellerive probably has highest upside, but likelihood to stick is probably much lower than some of guys ahead of him.

Size seems to be important to Guerin though, which is weird give current trends in NHL.

Actually, now that I've finally read the thing... we sure that's Guerin's rankings, and not Molinari's rankings with Guerin's quotes?

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Absolutely agree. Like I said, I have severe reservations about what they're prioritizing (as anybody who's seen my post history knows), but ultimately the proof will be in how successful these guys are. Unlikely as it seems to us right now, maybe ZAR really will become the new Hornqvist and Bjorkqvist will follow in that mold.

But if they don't, we'll be left with some pretty underwhelming complementary wingers that the org has put a lot of stock into.

I'm not saying they're wrong (or I'm right), but I've never agreed with prioritizing safe over high-end when it comes to the draft. IMO, the Pens lately (with an exception here or there) seem to be opting for safe two-way guys who probably project as middle six forwards over high end guys.

That might be okay while we have guys like Sid, Geno, Kessel, etc. still capable of carrying the offensive load. But once those guys move on, I have severe doubts that the guys they're targeting have the offensive upside to take up the slack.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not saying they're wrong (or I'm right), but I've never agreed with prioritizing safe over high-end when it comes to the draft. IMO, the Pens lately (with an exception here or there) seem to be opting for safe two-way guys who probably project as middle six forwards over high end guys.

That might be okay while we have guys like Sid, Geno, Kessel, etc. still capable of carrying the offensive load. But once those guys move on, I have severe doubts that the guys they're targeting have the offensive upside to take up the slack.

I'm not sure I'd agree that they've been doing that recently, at least not with forwards. We've drafted 10 forwards over the last 4 years - Sprong, Simon, Tiffels, Pavlychev, Bjorkqvist, Drozg, Olund, Hallander, Almeida, Gorman

On that list - Sprong, Simon, Drozg and Almeida are definitely about as high end as you could pick where you were picking.

Bjorkqvist, Olund and Hallander I'd say probably qualify as safe two-way guys (although Hallander might be that and high end).

I can't remember what was said about Tiffels now, and I'm not sure where you'd put late power forward picks like Pavlychev and Gorman. But I'm not seeing a big priority in who we pick. Defence drafting is a different story, but with the forwards, now I look closer, there's a decent amount of skillful guys there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Any stats / info on Liam Gorman? St. Sebastian’s site doesn’t have stats but in 2019 I’d be surprised if USHS stats don’t exist somewhere on the net.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Pavlychev is the definition of overrated. His recent offensive surge combined to his frame are clearly the reason many fans view him as a top 5 prospect for us, but let's not forget it's his 3rd season in the NCAA on a very good offensive team.

Also, he's slowing down offensively by the second. Dude was first in points on his team like a month ago and he's already dropped to 5th. Limoges (who I really want us to sign) is TEN points ahead of him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pavlychev is the definition of overrated. His recent offensive surge combined to his frame are clearly the reason many fans view him as a top 5 prospect for us, but let's not forget it's his 3rd season in the NCAA on a very good offensive team.

Also, he's slowing down offensively by the second. Dude was first in points on his team like a month ago and he's already dropped to 5th. Limoges (who I really want us to sign) is TEN points ahead of him.

Pavlychev's gotten pretty glowing reviews courtesy of everyone from his college coach to Guerin, so it's hardly a just fan thing. He's no world-beater, but he's a solid prospect.

His offense is slowing down, but considering his role in college and his projection in the pros is a defensive/shutdown center, that isn't really an issue.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure I'd agree that they've been doing that recently, at least not with forwards. We've drafted 10 forwards over the last 4 years - Sprong, Simon, Tiffels, Pavlychev, Bjorkqvist, Drozg, Olund, Hallander, Almeida, Gorman

On that list - Sprong, Simon, Drozg and Almeida are definitely about as high end as you could pick where you were picking.

Bjorkqvist, Olund and Hallander I'd say probably qualify as safe two-way guys (although Hallander might be that and high end).

I can't remember what was said about Tiffels now, and I'm not sure where you'd put late power forward picks like Pavlychev and Gorman. But I'm not seeing a big priority in who we pick. Defence drafting is a different story, but with the forwards, now I look closer, there's a decent amount of skillful guys there.

I don't know why I left them out, but I meant including defense where they've opted for "safe" guys early on (ie. Hall, Lauzon). Addison's high-end, which I like (I actually like this past draft).

For me, it's about picking guys who, if they reach their ceiling, you know you've got top line players. I don't like seeing them pick guys who, even if everything goes right and they reach their ceiling, are still nothing more than middle six forward/#4-6 defensemen.

Reactions: Jacob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't know why I left them out, but I meant including defense where they've opted for "safe" guys early on (ie. Hall, Lauzon). Addison's high-end, which I like (I actually like this past draft).

For me, it's about picking guys who, if they reach their ceiling, you know you've got top line players. I don't like seeing them pick guys who, even if everything goes right and they reach their ceiling, are still nothing more than middle six forward/#4-6 defensemen.

Yeah, there's a reason I specified I was only talking forwards :laugh: Although even then, there's plenty of guys who've had decent ceilings for where they've been picked. And if we want to talk early picks, then its Lauzon & Hall vs Addison & Phillips.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Any stats / info on Liam Gorman? St. Sebastian’s site doesn’t have stats but in 2019 I’d be surprised if USHS stats don’t exist somewhere on the net.

I guess he must be decent to have been recruited to BU but then again even the top college teams have to ice 4th lines.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess he must be decent to have been recruited to BU but then again even the top college teams have to ice 4th lines.
Yeah, he wasn’t real productive last season either. I mean a point-per-game at prep is good in general but it doesn’t scream future NHLer. He was 3rd in team scoring but close to the top 2, one was undrafted and the other went in the 7th. The 7th rounder is in the BCHL now and putting up good numbers there... forget which college he’s committed to.

Gorman is pretty big though.. maybe they figure he has the body that’ll translate to the next levels.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, he wasn’t real productive last season either. I mean a point-per-game at prep is good in general but it doesn’t scream future NHLer. He was 3rd in team scoring but close to the top 2, one was undrafted and the other went in the 7th. The 7th rounder is in the BCHL now and putting up good numbers there... forget which college he’s committed to.

Gorman is pretty big though.. maybe they figure he has the body that’ll translate to the next levels.

Judging from the few scouting reports I saw, he's also really fast. That's the gamble - can a guy with great hockey athleticism develop his hands and IQ enough to be an NHLer?

To kinda link back to where the convo had been... that's a fun gamble on a 6th, but not quite so funny on a 2nd.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Is his career over? He played like 20 games last year, then will miss this entire season.

Got to think it is. Hopefully the Pens will support him on whatever he wants to do in the future. I know CHL provides some sort of scholarship to go to university, but isn't it based on seasons accrued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->