U18: 2024 WJC18 Switzerland roster talk

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Can't watch either. I see they pulled Lachat and now the game is 2-2. Shots 24-14. Should be able to save this one. But yeah. A loss here and I'd be calling for heads to roll. It's the SIHF so that's never gonna happen anyway but still...must win.
Lachat was pulled after the second goal in the the first he didn‘t have a good start but Kirsch played well for me especially after getting thrown into a game like this in that situation.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
4:2 now apparently, so they seem to have avoided the worst case scenario. Gian Meier with three points. The "big guns"have been fairly quiet on the scoresheet so far however, albeit Reber obviously missed this game. His relieve performance probably also means that Kirsch is the clear cut number one goaltender going forward.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
4:2 now apparently, so they seem to have avoided the worst case scenario. Gian Meier with three points. The "big guns"have been fairly quiet on the scoresheet so far however, albeit Reber obviously missed this game. His relieve performance probably also means that Kirsch is the clear cut number one goaltender going forward.
Well. Forget and Körbler had a goal each. They also played just 13mins each...with Reber out that is. They may have won but that's crazy coaching. No points for Ponzetto...but like I said...he's clearly injured. I also watched that replay of the first goal against a few times...and I still don't have a clue what Ponzetto tried to do there. Did he try to pass it to Blessing? Ponzetto must have seen him fall over long before though. But yeah, Blessing over Johnson was a curious decision as well.

Speaking of curious decisions...Mischa Geisser led the team in TOI and played 9 (!) minutes in period 1:help:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lachat was pulled after the second goal in the the first he didn‘t have a good start but Kirsch played well for me especially after getting thrown into a game like this in that situation.
Just watched the highlights. I've been critical of Lachat recently but I don't think he should take the blame for those two goals. On the first Ponzetto just randomly passes the puck back to him and Blessing who would have been there as well just gives up by falling down and sliding backwards towards the boards leaving Lachat all alone against the Kazakh forward. Yes, Lachat could have put his hand on that puck but as a hockey goalie you honestly don't expect to get any passes from your teammates. It's also not Lachat's fault that Blessing just decided to give up and take himself out of that play.

The 2nd goal may have been stoppable but it was a great shot with two Swiss players leaning in on the shooter. I don't think Lachat had a clear vision and the shot could have been deflected as well. If you commit to that battle the way Geisser did then you have to prevent your opponent from getting a shot on net. Even though the shot was probably stoppable this is more on Geisser who lost both the battle and blocked his goalie's vision.

I haven't watched the game so I can't say how Lachat looked outside of the goals he gave up but I don't think he should be blamed for that 1st period.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He found out quickly. Not like we've been discussing this for years...

Reactions: jonas2244

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

He found out quickly. Not like we've been discussing this for years...

To be fair, he has been talking about it for years too. I guess its just an easy topic to bring up again every now and then when a new column is due.

Reactions: Hinterland

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
As long as federation and teams are not on the same board no such thing will happen.

Which means pretty much never...

I for my part have given up any hope for meaningful reform. We just gonna have to hope that a few guys will make it despite the terrible structure that is in place.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, but that's pretty common in Switzerland, also in other sports. You don't work together, you just work for yourself.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah, but that's pretty common in Switzerland, also in other sports. You don't work together, you just work for yourself.

Yes its definitely true, particularly with the NL clubs. They only care about making profit, winning the title or for the likes of Ambri/Langnau making the playoffs. Nobody is willing to make investments for a healthy and strong Swiss players market. And while for example Swedish teams are often proud when they develop an NHL player, I feel like the NL clubs couldn't care less. For all the criticism of the corporate character that is attributed to the NHL all the time in Switzerland it is often overlooked that the NL clubs are also run like buisnesses without much care for ideals or the common good of their own environment.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Which means pretty much never...

I for my part have given up any hope for meaningful reform. We just gonna have to hope that a few guys will make it despite the terrible structure that is in place.

I wouldn't say that it's terrible. It's just not good enough but it's still pretty close to Finland and pretty much on par or better than everything else in Europe excluding Sweden.

An almost bigger problem is the SL. NL clubs and SIHF should do a better job supporting this league in a way that would make it possible for SL clubs to fill their stadiums, ice a strong lineup and not lose any money. Also, the Lions are the lone club with a consistent SL farm. I think that's a problem as well. If you're too good for the U20 elite league but can't get a guaranteed spot in the SL (only very prospects get a guaranteed NL spot) your only choice is to leave the country. If you have NHL ambitions you can't afford to just waste your time playing U20 elite league for years.

Reactions: Kuracmugger

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I wouldn't say that it's terrible. It's just not good enough but it's still pretty close to Finland and pretty much on par or better than everything else in Europe excluding Sweden.

An almost bigger problem is the SL. NL clubs and SIHF should do a better job supporting this league in a way that would make it possible for SL clubs to fill their stadiums, ice a strong lineup and not lose any money. Also, the Lions are the lone club with a consistent SL farm. I think that's a problem as well. If you're too good for the U20 elite league but can't get a guaranteed spot in the SL (only very prospects get a guaranteed NL spot) your only choice is to leave the country. If you have NHL ambitions you can't afford to just waste your time playing U20 elite league for years.
Agree a strong swiss league is essential to develop enough good swiss players. I would like to see the national league with 12 teams again and instant promotion/relegation without qualification games as it was suggested by some experts. Gaining two teams like Kloten and ajoie would make the league a lot more competitive and would fill stadiums more with more teams with chances to win the championship. And i agree on the farmteams many players profited from the EVZ Academy and now players like Tim Muggli are playing as overagers in the u20 elit instead of SL which just hurts their development IMO.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kirsch in net again. Reber is in for Grossniklaus and back between Forget and Ponzetto. Körbler with Antenen and Wey. Curious to see what they can do vs Canada. It's the only group game I'm able to watch.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great start. No finish though. Should be up by 1 or 2 at the very least but shots were of poor quality. Körbler's wiff was horrible as well. Gotta finish your grade a chances vs Canada. They had nothing so far but they'll come back eventually.

f*** this shit. Leenders is a piss poor goalie but they're making him look like a friggen all star goalie by firing all shots right at him. And when they're not shooting at Leenders they hit iron. Twice already! f***!

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Shots 13-1 and that's not including two irons, several wiffs and shots fired high/wide. Scoring chances probably about 25-4 or so. Crazy shit. Gotta score some goals though or this won't end well.

Do you have a TSN subscriptition or do you watch the game elsewhere?

I'd absolutely subscribe to TSN but I don't think you can watch it from outside Canada without VPN. So I'm watching TSN but elsewhere. Let me know if you need a link.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Now watch Canada score on the PP after getting buried alive and barely touching the puck 5vs5 for almost an entire period. You just know it's coming.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Swiss look good

Amazing period. But sadly zero finish. You usually can't afford wasting this many chances vs Canada. They created chances for several games in one period but have nothing to show for it.

Also props to Kirsch for staying awake. Had nothing to do almost all period long but came up with two huge saves when needed. Easy to lose focus in those games. Thankfully he didn't.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Weak backcheck there. Can't allow your opponents to get unlimited whacks at pucks inside your own blue paint. McKenna isn't even big. He beats you with speed...okay. But then for goodness sake don't allow him to get 2nd and 3rd shots in at your goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad