Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Where Have You Gone Joe Dziedzic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm okay with starting Sundqvist in the AHL. I think it'd give a good gauge on what kind of player he is offensively, get him acclimated and get him some minutes in situations he might not see on the 3rd/4th line in the NHL. Assuming he looks as ready as he did in the fall, he won't finish the year there.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Decent weekend for the NCAA guys

Jeff Taylor ----- 3 Assists
Blaine Byron ----- 2 Assists
Troy Josephs ----- 1 Goal and 1 Assist
Jake Guentzel ----- 2 Goals and 1 Assist

feichter

Apr 2, 2006
He probably has the best skillset in the Liiga. He already has NHL top 6 offensive skills and elite-NHL level skating but he barely touches the puck because he's too passive and doesn't win any puck battles anywhere on the ice. It was the same issue in the WJC and it was the reason he didn't start the season here even though he got every opportunity to do so. He had a great start offensively in the Liiga, he was dominating on the powerplay and was around a PPG for the first 15 games of the season. Since then he's barely scored because he's not on the 1st powerplay or 1st ES line anymore.

To be fair, he is still a skinny 18 year old in a very physical men's league, but he's definitely underachieving big time.

...sounds kinds like what I hear about Nylander from Leaf fans, just he has better finish possibly....cool. Thanks for the thoughts.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
...sounds kinds like what I hear about Nylander from Leaf fans, just he has better finish possibly....cool. Thanks for the thoughts.

Kapanen has a better shot than Nylander, but that's about it. Nylander has much better vision and passing than Kapanen and has an edge in skating as well. They have two different mentalities on the ice. Nylander almost always looks for the pass first while Kapanen is always looking to take a shot.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
^That's actually good to hear.We need a finisher more than a passer in the top six.I think Kappy will fit better with Geno.
Any chance he can be ready next season?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Kapanen has a better shot than Nylander, but that's about it. Nylander has much better vision and passing than Kapanen and has an edge in skating as well. They have two different mentalities on the ice. Nylander almost always looks for the pass first while Kapanen is always looking to take a shot.

I disagree that Nylander has better skating. I'm not sure that there is more than a handful of NHLers with better skating than Kap. He needs to learn to use it more, but his skating is almost beyond belief.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
So, I heard that Matt Murray had a shutout streak of 304:11 minutes. That's UNREAL.
Do we want him to get more playing time in the AHL next year, or should we just bring him up to the NHL? Clearly he is ready to make the jump.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
^That's actually good to hear.We need a finisher more than a passer in the top six.I think Kappy will fit better with Geno.
Any chance he can be ready next season?

Up to him really. I believe he has a couple NHL tools already(skating/shot) but he's got to engage(less puck watching). Basically have the mentality Horny has. If he can get that, he's gonna be a great pro.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I disagree that Nylander has better skating. I'm not sure that there is more than a handful of NHLers with better skating than Kap. He needs to learn to use it more, but his skating is almost beyond belief.

The talent is there, but he needs to learn to go out there and create and to be a better 200ft player. The game doesn't end when he loses the puck, things he will learn better in the AHL.
Also, being stronger wouldn't hurt. Just being stronger in general to have confidence to go in the corners and not worry about being pushed around.

More Perron/Hornqvist qualities, less Neal qualities.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The talent is there, but he needs to learn to go out there and create and to be a better 200ft player. The game doesn't end when he loses the puck, things he will learn better in the AHL.
Also, being stronger wouldn't hurt. Just being stronger in general to have confidence to go in the corners and not worry about being pushed around.

More Perron/Hornqvist qualities, less Neal qualities.

I'm not concerned about the 200 ft-ness of his game. He works harder on defense than he does on offense. He just seems to lack the attitude of "that puck is MINE", the way that quality NHLers do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not concerned about the 200 ft-ness of his game. He works harder on defense than he does on offense. He just seems to lack the attitude of "that puck is MINE", the way that quality NHLers do.

Could that be his role on his current team? I feel like if he's solid in that area of his game, the other part can be fixed in the AHL where he would be relied upon more for his offensive skills. Because in Europe, he's on a team where there are veterans that do that better than him, right now.

In the AHL, he'd be the most talented player on the team and seen as a guy that could potentially carry the load there in that sense, wouldn't be a bad thing.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Could that be his role on his current team? I feel like if he's solid in that area of his game, the other part can be fixed in the AHL where he would be relied upon more for his offensive skills. Because in Europe, he's on a team where there are veterans that do that better than him, right now.

In the AHL, he'd be the most talented player on the team and seen as a guy that could potentially carry the load there in that sense, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Its him for sure. He had the same problem in the WJC and in the pre-season games here. It would take him a period each game to play like he won't die if he touches the puck and he avoided board battles and puck races. In open ice with the puck he'd suddenly come alive and he made a couple incredible moves in tight to dodge a hit. Skill wise he's a top 5 pick for sure, but he has a genuine issue with his attitude.

I agree that the AHL would do him good, because I think the coaches here would say "get involved or get scratched", which I don't think he gets at KalPa.

Hopefully as his body matures he gets a bit more confident in winning the races. He has the ability to dodge 99% of checks anyway, but he has to do it in a way which he still gets the puck.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Questions about Bailey that I hope some can answer:

1. If Bailey is signed by the Pens (the whole 1yr thing that allows him to be an RFA or whatever)...can he play in the playoffs?
2. How does it work with the cap? What's the Pens cap hit at right now since they can move up players or down that were signed previous to the deadline or what not, so he would count, correct?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-that-could-soon-land-in-the-nhl/#more-120203

Bailey sounds like a perfect fit. But in all honesty, I'd be happy with anyone on that list. Prospects for free is always nice. And especially now when we have so few high picks going forward

Well they're not really free, I mean it's a nice bonus to attract them without spending a pick but you still have to get them under contract, and we don't have much flexibility when it comes to that. But it would be nice to add a few players and hope they develop even more

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well they're not really free, I mean it's a nice bonus to attract them without spending a pick but you still have to get them under contract, and we don't have much flexibility when it comes to that. But it would be nice to add a few players and hope they develop even more

Let me re-word this.

If Bailey signs, plays right away and looks good in the top 6 the way Hayes has for the Rangers and the other good ones...

Kunitz could get dumped in the Summer.

Instant cap space.

Instant happiness.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Let me re-word this.

If Bailey signs, plays right away and looks good in the top 6 the way Hayes has for the Rangers and the other good ones...

Kunitz could get dumped in the Summer.

Instant cap space.

Instant happiness.

HOG, stop drinking yourself to death....

We want you to live bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad