Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Thread | Where Have You Gone Joe Dziedzic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
So what's the point of this thread now? The Penguins clearly have no interest in developing prospects :D

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With so many missing picks..

I hope JR can do what Shero sucked at, landing bigger name College FA's.

Casey Bailey...please?

Even Czarnik.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Shero was actually pretty good at that in my opinion. Lovejoy, Letestu, Gibbons, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Shero was actually pretty good at that in my opinion. Lovejoy, Letestu, Gibbons, etc.

He wasn't bad at it, it really isn't his fault that some of the other guys elected to make their money right off the bat and these guys instead chose a more developed path.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I just cant bring myself to research the draft as much as i have the previous years. Thanks for taking the fun out of it management.

If we somehow get 1 or 2 more picks in the top 3 rounds i will ofc dig into it :P

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bailey's also the same age as Despres & Bennett so he should be physically dominating the NCAA.

feichter

Apr 2, 2006
Much noise from Kapanen these days? Liked him his draft year, but aside from a crappy WJC's, haven't seen/heard much recently. Thoughts??

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Much noise from Kapanen these days? Liked him his draft year, but aside from a crappy WJC's, haven't seen/heard much recently. Thoughts??

He probably has the best skillset in the Liiga. He already has NHL top 6 offensive skills and elite-NHL level skating but he barely touches the puck because he's too passive and doesn't win any puck battles anywhere on the ice. It was the same issue in the WJC and it was the reason he didn't start the season here even though he got every opportunity to do so. He had a great start offensively in the Liiga, he was dominating on the powerplay and was around a PPG for the first 15 games of the season. Since then he's barely scored because he's not on the 1st powerplay or 1st ES line anymore.

To be fair, he is still a skinny 18 year old in a very physical men's league, but he's definitely underachieving big time.

Last edited:

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Murray's going for the all-time AHL record of 268 straight shutout minutes tomorrow against a team that has yet to score on him through 3 games.

The AHL is almost 80 years old…

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Looks like he stopped a penalty shot to boot. Plus, this was the same team that potted 6 last night against the Baby Pens.

Would love to see him get rewarded with a start for the Pens at the end of the season if the team is in a position to do so.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's also a testament to Hynes that he's able to consistently have insanely low GAA year after year despite high turnover and tons of call-ups. Kinda sucks that he's probably more likely to get his first NHL gig with some other organization but maybe he can do a year or two internship as an assistant somewhere like Chicago or Detroit and by then maybe we'll be in the market for a new head coach.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I assume he will if he can. We'll figure out when the time comes but I think he'll be over here.

Sundqvist sounded a bit torn between staying and returning home last fall. In the end he likely didn't feel ready yet, was going for more ice time at home, and/or didn't want to leave his home team hanging after an off-season where they got raided by the KHL. Skellefteå certainly really wanted to keep him, too.

But now he has played another season on the SEL's top team (class of the league in every regard, except their average special teams). Playing all over their top 9, and seeing PP and SH time as well. Skellefteå is set for another long playoff run, maybe even their third consecutive championship. Playing on that team must be fun for a young Swede but on the other hand he has probably learned all he can in Europe. He has 1 year left on his Swedish contract, and two years left on his ELC with the Pens. I would be surprised if he didn't stay in North America next season.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
RE: Murray

They play tonight against Springfield. Their record against us this season; 0-3-0 0-14

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Sundqvist sounded a bit torn between staying and returning home last fall. In the end he likely didn't feel ready yet, was going for more ice time at home, and/or didn't want to leave his home team hanging after an off-season where they got raided by the KHL. Skellefteå certainly really wanted to keep him, too.

But now he has played another season on the SEL's top team (class of the league in every regard, except their average special teams). Playing all over their top 9, and seeing PP and SH time as well. Skellefteå is set for another long playoff run, maybe even their third consecutive championship. Playing on that team must be fun for a young Swede but on the other hand he has probably learned all he can in Europe. He has 1 year left on his Swedish contract, and two years left on his ELC with the Pens. I would be surprised if he didn't stay in North America next season.

if this team is making even 50% of the correct decisions sundqvist will be in the nhl next year. he's beyond ready for a bottom six role at this point and i think he will excel

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Whatever time Sundqvist would play in WBS would be limited. I wouldn't be against a month in the AHL just to get acclimated...but they have to give him a chance to make the roster and when he shows that he's ready then he has to be called up. By all accounts he's 3rd line ready as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad