OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Honour Over Glory that Tocchett interview on Spittin’ Chiclets making you look good.

Also, being sarcastic. Tocchet basically said him and Malkin were idiots at each other for a long time when he first came there until late into the middle of the Sullivan era.
Did the Sidney Blandsby interview go up yet?

Edit: I listened to the podcast.
- Crosby will make a great coach. That is obvious.
- Geno thing was interesting
- Agree the coach and assistant have to be different.
- Him snapping at Geno, I wonder if Sully is actually too soft with how that situation was handled. I think Tocchet was the guy that got more battle out of them it seems.
- lmao the chinup thing. Also gee..personality and Phil. It’s back to being bland. Just how the team likes it.
- Seems like Sully didn’t like handling him (Phil) and Tocchet was more relatable and that is how a coach should be. Are you being sarcastic that it was wrong or agreeing that it was right and Tocchet is a good coach? Because Tocchet is.
- Lol at the Sheary and Rust thing. Jeez Geno...

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The thing about Geno snapping at Tocchet in a game vs Florida where Sully was present..I have no idea what game he’s talking about. I’m guessing Florida didn’t score on the 4 on 4. But he said it was after Geno had just lost his man 4 on 4 during a road trip, which means he’s talking about the October 25 2016 Florida game or the March 19 2017 Florida game.

Either way, that’s a long time Geno and Tocchett went without liking each other, even after a Cup :skeptic:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Since when did Rick "I got caught gambling in the dumbest way possible" Tocchet ever make a bad life choice? :laugh:
If you listen to the podcast. He is very candid with Biz and admits to some things as his faults. He's been humbled by a lot and a lot of people.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If you listen to the podcast. He is very candid with Biz and admits to some things as his faults. He's been humbled by a lot and a lot of people.

That's great and all, but I still think he's an idiot. (Though I loved him as a player, I'll be honest.)

To be fair to Tocchet though, I have yet to meet or hear about a coach that isn't some ego-tripping weirdo, so hopefully, he'll successfully change and break the mold.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

- Him snapping at Geno, I wonder if Sully is actually too soft with how that situation was handled. I think Tocchet was the guy that got more battle out of them it seems.
- lmao the chinup thing. Also gee..personality and Phil. It’s back to being bland. Just how the team likes it.
- Seems like Sully didn’t like handling him (Phil) and Tocchet was more relatable and that is how a coach should be. Are you being sarcastic that it was wrong or agreeing that it was right and Tocchet is a good coach? Because Tocchet is.

Sorry, but I don't think Sid will make a great coach at all.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sid would probably make a better GM, though he does love player development.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the record of superstars turned coaches is pretty dismal.
I also don't see Sid (or any other superstars) wanting to develop their coaching abilities in juniors or the minors and working their way up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Geno thing was hardly surprising actually. Not the details, but the idea that Geno responds to a take no BS coach. As I said the other day, people often call Tocchet the Phil whisperer, but I wondered if he also was the Geno whisperer.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The thing about Geno snapping at Tocchet in a game vs Florida where Sully was present..I have no idea what game he’s talking about. I’m guessing Florida didn’t score on the 4 on 4. But he said it was after Geno had just lost his man 4 on 4 during a road trip, which means he’s talking about the October 25 2016 Florida game or the March 19 2017 Florida game.

Either way, that’s a long time Geno and Tocchett went without liking each other, even after a Cup :skeptic:

Malkin didn't play against Florida under Sully before the 2016-2017 season. The October game was at home, and Malkin was injured for the March game.

BUT, there was another game in Florida on December 8, 2016. And the week before, the Pens lost to the Islanders 5-3, and Malkin, despite a goal, was a -3. Guessing this was it, if it was Florida, although as some noted, that seems like a long time to have issues, even after the 2016 cup.

There was a January 15, 2016 game against Tampa, which would've been pretty early into Sullivan's tenure. Perhaps misremembered a game in Florida rather than at Florida? Week before was the home and home with Chicago, and I seem to remember Malkin getting worked by Panik a few times.

I'm going to bet it was the game in Florida but against Tampa from January 15, 2016. Very early in Sullivan's tenure, so that's a time he might have been more inclined to say 'take it easy'. I also don't think the issues Tocchet and Malkin had with each other would've lasted until the middle of the 2016-2017 season (6 months after the cup).

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
That Tocchet interview was a good listen. Sounds like Phil did just as good of a good job of keeping Geno intact as Tocchet did.

I do think the plan from day one was to move Phil before his contract expired, but the whole thing still seemed forced. I do wonder how much of that could be attributed to Phil missing Tocchet/Recchi not being able to do what Tocchet did.

I half expect the Sid interview to be really good.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I didnt want to put this in the salary cap thread because it technically doesnt certain to that.

But did anyone catch this article from last week or so about Tocchet?

Interesting read espeacially cause I felt like Tocchet out Recchi in did effect the team a bit.

Tocchet seems like one of the guys. While Recchi seems like a yes man.

Idk. Any here it is and if it can go on the cap thread feel free to place it there too.

As it turns out, Rick Tocchet was a really vital piece of the Penguins

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
That Tocchet interview was a good listen. Sounds like Phil did just as good of a good job of keeping Geno intact as Tocchet did.

I do think the plan from day one was to move Phil before his contract expired, but the whole thing still seemed forced. I do wonder how much of that could be attributed to Phil missing Tocchet/Recchi not being able to do what Tocchet did.

I half expect the Sid interview to be really good.

Lmao should have probably checked previous posts before I dropped mine. Derp Derp....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tocchet sounds like a great player motivator, but let's be honest. As a head coach he has basically done jack shit.

Respect the hell out of the guy, but also he's the one telling these stories. Let's see how Phil and him play out now that Tocchet has to be the HC.

A lot easier to be the friendly coach when the team is succeeding. Let's see how he deals with Phil when Arizona goes on a losing streak and Phil's bleeding goals against.

Also, the more you hear about Malkin from the players it makes sense why there seems to be a leadership gap. Sid isn't going to say anything to Geno or Letang. Letang is as emotional as they come and Geno seems like the type of dude that just expects everyone to play the game at his level if they are on the ice with him. Lots of butt clenching by all three of those.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Geno thing was hardly surprising actually. Not the details, but the idea that Geno responds to a take no BS coach. As I said the other day, people often call Tocchet the Phil whisperer, but I wondered if he also was the Geno whisperer.
It's clear after that podcast that he is. Sully had made what now, two treks to see Malkin? It's clear there's a strain there. I don't want to hate On Sully for that as I think he needs a strong assistant to do his role better. Also someone to push him that has a lot of experience he can draw on.

Recchi is a blank slate of stupidity and Sully is a stubborn ass hat with potential to be the best.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tocchet sounds like a great player motivator, but let's be honest. As a head coach he has basically done jack ****.

Respect the hell out of the guy, but also he's the one telling these stories. Let's see how Phil and him play out now that Tocchet has to be the HC.

A lot easier to be the friendly coach when the team is succeeding. Let's see how he deals with Phil when Arizona goes on a losing streak and Phil's bleeding goals against.

Also, the more you hear about Malkin from the players it makes sense why there seems to be a leadership gap. Sid isn't going to say anything to Geno or Letang. Letang is as emotional as they come and Geno seems like the type of dude that just expects everyone to play the game at his level if they are on the ice with him. Lots of butt clenching by all three of those.
Lol Christ, did you mean to put this in your fantasy diary and accidentally post it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad