Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS] Marleau to Pittsburgh for cond. 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if PIT wins cup)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He amplified it by invoking his NMC, which by the way was part of his contract?
If you're going to invoke your NMC to go to specifically one place, then let it be known; don't hide it until right before when the trade would have to be made to facilitate the buyout. And then don't go back on your reasoning and do the opposite months later. It's a scummy move.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Again, he was the one who demanded the trade to go home in the first place, Toronto didn't force him out.

That is revisionist history. TOR had to have him gone in order to afford Marner, Kappanen and Johnssen, and everyone in the world knew that the 3rd year was an issue at the time the contract was signed. Marleau agreeing to waive his NMC at all was a favor to the Leafs.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If you're going to invoke your NMC to go to specifically one place, then let it be known; don't hide it until right before when the trade would have to be made to facilitate the buyout. And then don't go back on your reasoning and do the opposite months later. It's a scummy move.

You seem to be conveniently overlooking TOR gave him a NMC in his contract. Marleau didn't have to accept a trade to ANY team, but he did in order to help out TOR.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Yes, months after Marleau handcuffed Toronto and demanded that he would only play in San Jose because [insert sob story about how he couldn't dream of not being with his family].
He did the leafs a favour by even agreeing to leave. He doesn’t owe Toronto anything, and was more than accommodating. I’ve seen some of your terrible takes but this one is just a new level.
What a terrible guy for wanting to spend most of the year with his family.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
He clearly didn’t think San Jose would be in the toilet at this point in the year. He wanted to come home and have a last shot at a cup with his team. Things change, now his only hope for a last shot was to be traded.
If you really can’t understand how circumstances change I don’t know what to say to you. Lol

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I see that Simon gave up #12 to the old man. Awesome to see. I hope that Patty can be a constant defibrillator for this team. The effort and engagement level has been infuriatingly inconsistent this year.

Reactions: Puck You Too

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Again, he was the one who demanded the trade to go home in the first place, Toronto didn't force him out.

No, the first place was Toronto telling Marleau they needed to move him in order to keep the rest of the team together. Marleau gave them the way out on his terms as negotiated in his contract. Toronto wasn't forced to trade him to Carolina for what they did by the same logic consistently applied in saying that Toronto didn't force Marleau out. It was a business decision made by both sides.

Nope, I addressed that. Doesn't make it not a scummy move.

There's nothing scummy about utilizing your negotiated right to limit movement. You just can't chalk it up to business on both sides like an adult would.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He clearly didn’t think San Jose would be in the toilet at this point in the year. He wanted to come home and have a last shot at a cup with his team. Things change, now his only hope for a last shot was to be traded.
He did the leafs a favour by even agreeing to leave. He doesn’t owe Toronto anything, and was more than accommodating.
By all accounts, it was a mutual parting of ways. We didn't strong-arm Marleau into leaving.

His family was moving back to California, and he requested that he be moved out west to be somewhat close, which the Leafs were more than willing to do. They were discussing trades with multiple Western conference teams, because everybody involved knew that San Jose would not be able to take him at that price.

Then, right before the buyout window, Marleau suddenly decided that he was not okay with going anywhere except specifically San Jose, because he couldn't bear to be away from his family at all. Since San Jose couldn't afford it, this necessitated trading this 35+ contract with bonuses due July 1st to a dwindling list of entirely different teams with cap space, before July 1st. 6.25m in dead cap space, and 4.25m in wasted money. This significantly increased the cost of moving Marleau.

Now, months later, he's perfectly fine with moving back out East. Scummy move, and disrespectful to a team that did more for him than he deserved.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Also, anyone bitching about Marleau not wanting to spend an entire season with any random team the Maple Leafs traded him to, but now being OK with taking a short vacation during a playoff run - get the f*ck over yourselves. Dude is 40, this is his 22nd season in the NHL. He's paid his dues.

It always amazes me how many of you pretend these aren't human beings, or that your doughy ass wouldn't want to have some say over your life and career, even at that level.

On top of that, there is a huge difference being away from family when your children are very young and when your children are teens. I wouldn't travel for work when my kids were pre-school. Now I request it. :)

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Also, anyone bitching about Marleau not wanting to spend an entire season with any random team the Maple Leafs traded him to, but now being OK with taking a short vacation during a playoff run - get the f*ck over yourselves. Dude is 40, this is his 22nd season in the NHL. He's paid his dues.

It always amazes me how many of you pretend these aren't human beings, or that your doughy ass wouldn't want to have some say over your life and career, even at that level.

On top of that, there is a huge difference being away from family when your children are very young and when your children are teens. I wouldn't travel for work when my kids were pre-school. Now I request it. :)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kind of interesting. Surprised he got that much honestly. Should be a calming influence, Pens have a lot of young depth forwards and Marleau can slot in pretty much anywhere for them.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
By all accounts, it was a mutual parting of ways. We didn't strong-arm Marleau into leaving.

His family was moving back to California, and he requested that he be moved out west to be somewhat close, which the Leafs were more than willing to do. They were discussing trades with multiple Western conference teams, because everybody involved knew that San Jose would not be able to take him at that price.

Then, right before the buyout window, Marleau suddenly decided that he was not okay with going anywhere except specifically San Jose, because he couldn't bear to be away from his family at all. Since San Jose couldn't afford it, this necessitated trading this 35+ contract with bonuses due July 1st to a dwindling list of entirely different teams with cap space, before July 1st. 6.25m in dead cap space, and 4.25m in wasted money. This significantly increased the cost of moving Marleau.

Now, months later, he's perfectly fine with moving back out East. Scummy move, and disrespectful to a team that did more for him than he deserved.
Lol a good chunk of your fan base was calling him selfish for not leaving, then he agreed to leave and he’s still selfish? I guess the leafs are always the heroes eh.
Did more for him than he deserved? Unless you mean the idiotic contract they gave him I’m not sure what you mean. Again though, he shouldn’t be faulted because Lou gave him a third year that was so clearly a mistake.
I respect that Marleau wanted to stay close to his family. He’s got 4 youngish boys at home, it’s quite consistent with his character to do what’s best for his family.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Kind of surprised Marleau left SJ after just rejoining them
Regardless, hope he does well in Pittsburgh

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Lol a good chunk of your fan base was calling him selfish for not leaving
This did not happen. He was never not leaving. It was understood by both parties for a long time.
Did more for him than he deserved? Unless you mean the idiotic contract they gave him I’m not sure what you mean.
They gave him opportunities in role he didn't deserve, and they didn't sit him on the stretch run in order to maintain his ironman streak. Then they facilitated the exact trade he wanted so that he could be with his family.
it’s quite consistent with his character to do what’s best for his family.
Unless Pittsburgh comes calling, from the other side of the continent... apparently.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
So in every possible way Marleau is at fault and the leafs organization are blameless victims to his scummy self-serving ways. Got it :laugh:
He still spent most of the year with his family, going for a few months to chase his dream one last time is not the same as playing the full season in some random other city. Don’t know how you can’t see that.
Also he absolutely was being called selfish when it wasn’t confirmed he was leaving. You saying that never happened doesn’t make it so.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

No, the first place was Toronto telling Marleau they needed to move him in order to keep the rest of the team together. Marleau gave them the way out on his terms as negotiated in his contract. Toronto wasn't forced to trade him to Carolina for what they did by the same logic consistently applied in saying that Toronto didn't force Marleau out. It was a business decision made by both sides.

Nope, I addressed that. Doesn't make it not a scummy move.

There's nothing scummy about utilizing your negotiated right to limit movement. You just can't chalk it up to business on both sides like an adult would.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I would use him like Pens used aging Kunitz in 2016 Cup team. The Kunitz-Malkin-Rust line worked then and that was a one armed Malkin and a rookie Rust. A healthy Malkin and this year's Rust version are even better. Marleau can be the Older Kunitz of that line.

Zucker-Crosby-Kahun
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR/Simon-Bluegar-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
JJ-Schultz

Murray/Jarry

That's what I would like to see. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00