Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS] Marleau to Pittsburgh for cond. 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if PIT wins cup)

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I would use him like Pens used aging Kunitz in 2016 Cup team. The Kunitz-Malkin-Rust line worked then and that was a one armed Malkin and a rookie Rust. A healthy Malkin and this year's Rust version are even better. Marleau can be the Older Kunitz of that line.

Zucker-Crosby-Kahun
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR/Simon-Bluegar-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
JJ-Schultz

Murray/Jarry

That's what I would like to see. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with lines.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I would use him like Pens used aging Kunitz in 2016 Cup team. The Kunitz-Malkin-Rust line worked then and that was a one armed Malkin and a rookie Rust. A healthy Malkin and this year's Rust version are even better. Marleau can be the Older Kunitz of that line.

Zucker-Crosby-Kahun
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
ZAR/Simon-Bluegar-Tanev

That first line won't work bro

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
If you're going to invoke your NMC to go to specifically one place, then let it be known; don't hide it until right before when the trade would have to be made to facilitate the buyout. And then don't go back on your reasoning and do the opposite months later. It's a scummy move.
similar to what pajama boy did to the Islanders. He has every right to do what he wants and doesn’t owe Toronto anything

Reactions: Helistin

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016
By all accounts, it was a mutual parting of ways. We didn't strong-arm Marleau into leaving.

His family was moving back to California, and he requested that he be moved out west to be somewhat close, which the Leafs were more than willing to do. They were discussing trades with multiple Western conference teams, because everybody involved knew that San Jose would not be able to take him at that price.

Then, right before the buyout window, Marleau suddenly decided that he was not okay with going anywhere except specifically San Jose, because he couldn't bear to be away from his family at all. Since San Jose couldn't afford it, this necessitated trading this 35+ contract with bonuses due July 1st to a dwindling list of entirely different teams with cap space, before July 1st. 6.25m in dead cap space, and 4.25m in wasted money. This significantly increased the cost of moving Marleau.

Now, months later, he's perfectly fine with moving back out East. Scummy move, and disrespectful to a team that did more for him than he deserved.
difference is he’s only moving out east for a few months not 3 years

illpucks

May 26, 2011

Zucker-Crosby-Kahun
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
ZAR/Simon-Bluegar-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
JJ-Schultz

Murray/Jarry

That's what I would like to see. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with lines.
You forgot Sheary. He's was glued to Sid in the past.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
...and then completely changed his terms last minute, putting Toronto in a horrible spot, for reasons that ended up being untrue.

You'll have to actually point out what that was but even if he had, it was his negotiated contractual right to do so because they gave him a full NMC. That's still just business. Toronto was in a horrible spot regardless of what the end result was going to be. My recollection is that Toronto talked to Arizona and Los Angeles at various points but nothing came of it.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You'll have to actually point out what that was
I've literally explained it multiple times.
Toronto was in a horrible spot regardless of what the end result was going to be.
No, there were many other options originally.
My recollection is that Toronto talked to Arizona and Los Angeles at various points but nothing came of it.
...because Marleau suddenly changed his mind. It's clear you have absolutely no idea what actually went down last summer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think we know what the Penguins are trying to get out of this, just having a guy on their roster getting one last shot at winning the Cup, giving incentive and motivation to other players on the roster (many of which already have 2 rings) to drag him across the finish line, while hopefully invigorating Marleau himself as he is otherwise completely finished. Essentially the same thing the Blackhawks did with Kimmo Timonen. Penguins by now have earned the latitude to do this even if it's not necessarily a good on-ice trade.

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016

...because Marleau suddenly changed his mind. It's clear you have absolutely no idea what actually went down last summer.
do you work with the team? or know Marleau personally? unless you do, you don’t know the entire situation either. He can change his mind 10000000 times and it’s his right to do so

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's actually clear that you don't because you've done nothing but give vague things rather than any real specifics. If you think that Toronto didn't approach Marleau with a desire to move him, you're already rewriting history in a hilariously disingenuous manner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad