Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS] Marleau to Pittsburgh for cond. 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if PIT wins cup)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Feel like this trade helps SJS win games down the stretch. Dislike.

Marleau has been one of their better and more consistent players on both sides of the puck. They're certainly worse without him since that means they have to move up guys like Sorensen or Karlsson who have been trash or move up unproven players like Gregor or True who don't have a true feel for the NHL yet.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So leafs paid 1st round pick to get rid of him.... and sharks got a 3rd round pick for him(obviously big money difference... but still funny)

not too shabby lol

Hindsight is 20/20 but knowing that SJ wasn’t contending anyhow, they really should’ve been the ones trading for Marleau and the 1st and then they should’ve just moved a guy like Dillon at the start of the year if they still had to make the cap work.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Early prediction time: Marleau is at least a 0.5 PPG player and has a great run with Malkin and Rust on the 2nd line. That line will be 2016 Kunitz-Malkin-Rust on steroids.

Reactions: Giskard

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Both of those guys were acquired to play top 6. Marleau is acquired to play bottom 6. Pretty big difference I'd say. Zucker was their top 6 addition. Marleau is a depth move

Oh OK then I'm no longer curious about whether or not the deal will be considered a success...?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
So the Penguins now have 7 guys coming back from injury or thru trade that will be put in their lineup in the next couple of weeks.

That’s an insane amount of lineup shuffling compared to their game just yesterday. Will be interested to see where they all fit.

Reactions: Pengwins

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Marleau has been one of their better and more consistent players on both sides of the puck. They're certainly worse without him since that means they have to move up guys like Sorensen or Karlsson who have been trash or move up unproven players like Gregor or True who don't have a true feel for the NHL yet.
I see what you're saying. Marleau definitely has more acumen plus skill than anyone that'll fill his shoes, but have to imagine that'll only go so far when you have absolutely no motivation to play, you're a lottery team, you teammates are all injured, you're 40 years old and tired. Meanwhile, 22 year old Joe Shmoe needs to go balls out to try and make sure he's not riding hte bus again in 8 months.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs gave up a first rd pick to Carolina to take Marleau, and Marleau fetches a 3rd rd pick that may be a 2nd rd pick if the Pens win the cup? What happened?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
3rd is fine, but I would have rather had Namestnikov for a 4th. The conditional upgrade to a 2nd seems a bit much, but if we win a Cup I'm sure I won't care at all.

Get in the fast lane Grandpa Patrick, the bingo game is ready to roll!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad