Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS] Marleau to Pittsburgh for cond. 2021 3rd (becomes 2nd if PIT wins cup)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
As a fan of the sport of hockey...I'd like to see Marleau win the cup...

The Pens are one of the last teams I'd want to win the cup.

I'm at an impass

Reactions: Sooth and Insignia

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I literally gave a detailed breakdown of the entire thing.

If this is what you're referring to then you haven't given enough details to come to the conclusion you're coming to...

By all accounts, it was a mutual parting of ways. We didn't strong-arm Marleau into leaving.

His family was moving back to California, and he requested that he be moved out west to be somewhat close, which the Leafs were more than willing to do. They were discussing trades with multiple Western conference teams, because everybody involved knew that San Jose would not be able to take him at that price.

Then, right before the buyout window, Marleau suddenly decided that he was not okay with going anywhere except specifically San Jose, because he couldn't bear to be away from his family at all. Since San Jose couldn't afford it, this necessitated trading this 35+ contract with bonuses due July 1st to a dwindling list of entirely different teams with cap space, before July 1st. 6.25m in dead cap space, and 4.25m in wasted money. This significantly increased the cost of moving Marleau.

Now, months later, he's perfectly fine with moving back out East. Scummy move, and disrespectful to a team that did more for him than he deserved.

One, you never show any definitive evidence that says Marleau suddenly decided anything like that. Secondly, you never demonstrate any deal dying because of said issue. The deals that they were talking with LA and Arizona died for reasons that you can't show has anything to do with that alleged decision you can't even prove happened. Third, Marleau isn't moving back East.

So you're only showing how clueless you are in this aspect. The idea that it was a mutual parting of ways is already a disingenuous revising of history. Marleau openly stated he wanted to return to Toronto. Toronto approached him saying they wanted to move him out. That's not mutual. Marleau's part in it thereafter is how he can help a team that didn't want him anymore.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If this is what you're referring to then you haven't given enough details to come to the conclusion you're coming to...
It's an accurate and detailed summary, and it's enough to come to the conclusion that it's a scummy move.
Third, Marleau isn't moving back East.
Where do you think Pittsburgh is?
That's not mutual.
It was mutual and understood on both sides for quite a while, if not from the moment the contract was signed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's an accurate and detailed summary, and it's enough to come to the conclusion that it's a scummy move.

It was mutual and understood on both sides for quite a while, if not from the moment the contract was signed.

Incorrect for the reasons I stated. It's just you making links that simply aren't there and jumping to stupid conclusions. He's not moving the family to Pittsburgh. He'll live out of a teammate's house or rent some place for at most four months before going back to San Jose. Not the same thing as playing an entire season somewhere that he doesn't want to which was his right when he held an NMC.

It being understood and it being mutual are two different things. It was not mutual. Marleau wanted to stay and publicly stated as such. Toronto felt differently. Marleau accommodated the team as much as he was willing to for a guy in his position. There is absolutely no evidence that it was understood on both sides from the moment the contract was signed. That part is completely made up on your part and those that couldn't understand why Toronto gave him that contract. Even if you went down that road, if it's understood that they were going to deal him in the 3rd year, then they understood that this was what needed to happen for them to have that outcome but like your stance on that there is absolutely no evidence to support that.

The more likely thing is that they gave him 3 years and a full NMC because that's what it took to get him out of San Jose. They had no understanding about how they were going to handle the 3rd year if it was even thought of beyond playing it out. Getting Tavares changed Toronto's plans and rightfully so but stop pretending like this was some master plan from the beginning when nothing shows that at all.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Incorrect for the reasons I stated.
No, it's perfectly correct. I suggest you do some research on what happened.
He's not moving the family to Pittsburgh.
Never said he was.
It was not mutual.
It was mutual.
There is absolutely no evidence that it was understood on both sides from the moment the contract was signed.
Actually Babcock essentially said it.
then they understood that this was what needed to happen for them to have that outcome
No, up until Marleau completely changed his mind at the last minute, there were many other options.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No, it's perfectly correct. I suggest you do some research on what happened.

Never said he was.

It was mutual.

Actually Babcock essentially said it.

No, up until Marleau completely changed his mind at the last minute, there were many other options.

I suggest you do research. Nothing about someone saying I want to return and the team saying we don't want you to return is mutual parting.

Nothing Babcock said pointed to that in even the most charitable of interpretations. You're just putting things there that just aren't there.

Otherwise known as making shit up. That's all you're doing. Again, there's no evidence to suggest that Marleau changed his mind at all or last minute. If there is, go ahead and provide it. Chances are you won't because you don't have anything of merit. The other thing though is that even if he did change his mind at any point, that was his contractual right to do. Sorry but that's business and if you're going to throw scummy out there so flippantly then Toronto was scummy for the same reasons.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I suggest you do research.
I already know exactly what happened.
Nothing about someone saying I want to return and the team saying we don't want you to return is mutual parting.
That's not what happened.
Nothing Babcock said pointed to that in even the most charitable of interpretations.
Yeah, he did.
Again, there's no evidence to suggest that Marleau changed his mind at all or last minute.
Yeah, there is. I suggest you do some research on the subject.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I already know exactly what happened.

That's not what happened.

Yeah, he did.

Yeah, there is. I suggest you do some research on the subject.

You clearly don't because you're just making shit up. Marleau was publicly quoted in saying he wanted to return for his final year. You're completely disregarding that which is what proves your story to be complete bullshit. Keep projecting with your research comments but it's clear you did no such thing and just want to believe what you want to believe rather than actually letting the events that took place lead you to the conclusions.

If you actually could prove what you say was true, you would've done so at this point. Your assertions are nonsense.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
just want to believe what you want to believe rather than actually letting the events that took place lead you to the conclusions.
No, I let the events that unfolded that I followed very closely dictate my conclusions.

Going to Pittsburgh after what he did last summer cements that it was a scummy move. He lost my respect.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No, I let the events that unfolded that I followed very closely dictate my conclusions.

Going to Pittsburgh after what he did last summer cements that it was a scummy move. He lost my respect.

No you didn't. You let some stupid unproven rumors make links that can't actually be shown to be true help you get to the conclusion you already wanted to get to in the first place. Being rented somewhere and going somewhere for an entire season are two different scenarios with two different sets of benefits and drawbacks. You're just oversimplifying the situation because it's too hard for you to actually consider everything that is involved with this and you just want to lay into the guy. It's hacky.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You forgot Sheary. He's was glued to Sid in the past.

Obviously I posted that before we traded for Sheary and Rodriguez. I could see Sheary up with Sid and Rodriguez replacing ZAR. Pens have a ton of speed and plenty of options. Sheary did have that 53 point season in 61 games the year he played with Crosby. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Zucker-Crosby-Sheary line. I bet it is at least tried at some point.

The winger speed is insane now with Tanev, Rust, McCann, Zucker, Sheary, Rodriguez, and Marleau. Hornqvist will be the only average skating winger and defenseman hate to play against him also. This team will drive opposing defenseman crazy with the forecheck.

Some of those Centers have a little speed also in Crosby, Malkin, and Blueger.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I see that Simon gave up #12 to the old man. Awesome to see. I hope that Patty can be a constant defibrillator for this team. The effort and engagement level has been infuriatingly inconsistent this year.

They texted Simon to ask him what number he wanted, he meant to type 12 but missed wide and hit the 8 instead of the 2.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You let some stupid unproven rumors make links that can't actually be shown to be true help you get to the conclusion you already wanted to get to in the first place.
I let the events that unfolded that I followed very closely dictate my conclusions.

Marleau maneuvering this whole thing in a scummy way is not what I wanted or expected.

Reactions: violaswallet

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I let the events that unfolded that I followed very closely dictate my conclusions.

Marleau maneuvering this whole thing in a scummy way is not what I wanted or expected.

Yet you still can't provide a shred of evidence for what you're saying. Interesting.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yet you still can't provide a shred of evidence for what you're saying.
I provided plenty throughout this thread, and it was everywhere over the summer, if you actually paid attention. Think whatever you want. I gave my reasoning and evidence for why it was a scummy move.

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016

Again do you work with the leafs or know Marleau personally? Because odds are you don’t. He signed for three years intending to stay in Toronto for three years. If the sharks offered him three years he would of stayed in San Jose, like @Pinkfloyd said, that’s essentially why he left the sharks. It was for that 3rd year. I think you should be more worried that your team lost to a zamboni driver.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I provided plenty throughout this thread, and it was everywhere over the summer, if you actually paid attention. Think whatever you want. I gave my reasoning and evidence for why it was a scummy move.

You've provided plenty of unproven assertions with nothing to actually back up anything you've said. Your reasoning is empty and will remain as such until you actually put forth something of substance to support what you said. The fact that you still haven't done so and now want to try and pass the buck just tells me and everyone else that you're full of it. If you thought it was as you say, it should be no problem for you to put something together to help make your case. I think you're just afraid that if you did that, your 'evidence' would be torn to shreds. The stuff about having an out for the 3rd year is conspiratorial nonsense and always has been. It was wishful thinking then and you're just perpetuating that silliness.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
They don’t want him to break Howe’s record but they don’t wanna bench/waiver him so they send him elsewhere and let them do it. Just like with Jagr in Calgary. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00