Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Pens re-sign Guentzel (5 years, $6M AAV)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Genuinely curious, would you rather have JG or Nylander moving forward?

People who respond to this with Nylander are being too lazy to actually look up the numbers. Guentzel is way more productive at ES than Nylander and Guentzel has been a playoff monster. Now with Guentzel at $1 million a year less and the answer is easy. The only advantage Nylander has is that he's a better center.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The Oilers never made a run. They won 1 series.

They lost in Game 7 of the second round...so they were one game away from the WCF. I consider that a run it was also a 13 game sample. My point was you can’t judge players based off PPG in the playoffs especially when one player is playing for a powerhouse cup contender while the other team has finished dead last in the league the year before.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I wonder what Rolex model he's going to buy Sid as a thank-you for this contract?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wonder what Rolex model he's going to buy Sid as a thank-you for this contract?

Guentzel will probably just re-gift the Rolex Crosby gave him out of elation for finally finding the first winger that thinks the game at his level since he had Hossa for a whopping two months about a decade ago.

He can just spray paint it and hope Crosby doesn’t notice.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I get that he had an amazing playoffs the last 2 years but it seems crazy the league is paying guys 6 million a year when they havent even broken 50 points yet.

Lockout incoming

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I get that he had an amazing playoffs the last 2 years but it seems crazy the league is paying guys 6 million a year when they havent even broken 50 points yet.

Lockout incoming

That damage was done already with the insane deals that have been thrown around the past couple years

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Not a bad contract, going to be interesting to see what Boeser gets this summer since he has the same agent.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Lockout incoming

Because he doesn't get PP time. Hard to hit 50 points playing no #1PP Time.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good contract for Guentzel. Majority of his points come at even strength (only 18 career pp points) and doesn't get much premier pp time. Obviously he's also an outstanding PO performer as well. This likely will seen as a steal by the conclusion of this season from non pens fans imo

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
People who respond to this with Nylander are being too lazy to actually look up the numbers. Guentzel is way more productive at ES than Nylander and Guentzel has been a playoff monster. Now with Guentzel at $1 million a year less and the answer is easy. The only advantage Nylander has is that he's a better center.

Love that the Nylander people ignore that he plays with elite players in Toronto aswell....

So the "He plays with Crosby" thing doesn't work here. Nylander played alot with Matthews.

And Nylander gets way more PP opportunities.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Because he doesn't get PP time. Hard to hit 50 points playing no #1PP Time.
13 of his 48 points were PP points last year where he averaged almost 2 mins of PP time a game.

He certainly had reasonable amounts of PP time. The same as most PP players who arent on a stacked #1 unit.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
13 of his 48 points were PP points last year where he averaged almost 2 mins of PP time a game.

He certainly had reasonable amounts of PP time. The same as most PP players who arent on a stacked #1 unit.

He was not getting #1PP Time aside from Hornqvist being out.

I mean sure he got those last scraps of 40 seconds on the #2PP

That's not real PP time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Love that the Nylander people ignore that he plays with elite players in Toronto aswell....

So the "He plays with Crosby" thing doesn't work here. Nylander played alot with Matthews.

And Nylander gets way more PP opportunities.
Nylander had 170 PP mins in 82 games played last year (~2 mins/game) while Guentzel had 151 PP mins in 82 games played (~1.8 mins/game).

Wouldnt say way more PP opportunities.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Nylander had 170 PP mins in 82 games played last year (~2 mins/game) while Guentzel had 151 PP mins in 82 games played (~1.8 mins/game).

Wouldnt say way more PP opportunities.

Huge difference between any team's first PP unit and their second unit. Guentzel gets clean-up work on the PP, not primary. He only plays on the first unit when Hörnqvist is hurt.

Reactions: td_ice

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He was not getting #1PP Time aside from Hornqvist being out.

I mean sure he got those last scraps of 40 seconds on the #2PP

That's not real PP time.
Almost 2 mins a game is what a lot of players get. Most of the leafs are around 2 mins per game.

Obviously not the same as guys like Rantenen getting close to 4 mins per game but you said "Because he doesnt get PP time...." which obviously isnt true.

I dont want to nitpick because I do think he is a good player.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he ranked 222nd in total PP time last year and was 7th in total PP Time for PIT players.

Nylander ranked 181st (about 21 more mins more than Guentzel) and was the less efficient scorer on the PP on a per60 basis of the two players

Nylander was playing on the 2nd unit all year??

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
he ranked 222nd in total PP time last year and was 7th in total PP Time for PIT players.

Nylander ranked 181st (about 21 more mins more than Guentzel) and was the less efficient scorer on the PP on a per60 basis of the two players
Yup I realize that and posted the same thing a few posts ago.... around 2 mins per game for Nylander vs 1.8 mins per game for Guentzel. Not sure what the point of this was

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
K.

I refuse to look at everything that happens in the league through Maple Leaf glasses. I don't give one single **** what Nylander does or does not do. Guentzel is worth every penny he got and this Penguins fan is ****ing happy.
I didnt even bring up Nylander, I just pointed to the fact that Nylander in fact did not get way more PP opportunities than Guentzel last year. Was 2 mins/game vs 1.8 mins/game both on the 2nd PP unit.

Yup I get why your happy, congrats you locked up Sid the Kids winger for the next 5 years after which you guys are likely heading for a rebuild anyways. Extends your window for sure.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Lockout incoming

It's cap inflation. As the cap goes higher, the percentages players get stay relatively similar.

In 2016 there was a 71.4M cap. Given the cap will be at 83 million when this extension kicks in, this is similar to a player being signed to a contract that is a tad above 5M in 2016.

Not to mention, his regular season points per game averages out to about 59 points per 82 games.

Here's some perspective on why your cries about a lockout are hyperbole. Ryan Nugent-Hopkin's post ELC contract would be 7.75M x 7 years if equalized to an 83 million dollar cap. That's with 3 UFA years being bought up. It was signed after he had scored around 70 points in 100 games. There's an array of similar contracts which that formula can be done for to illustrate that players have been getting similar contracts for most of the last decade. People just fail to account for cap inflation and lose their minds.

This contract seems like a bargain to me. They have locked down a top 6 player who has been beastly in the last two playoffs to a very reasonable cap hit and term that doesn't contain any signing bonuses and only has modest trade protection.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017

Rolex? pfff, that is for plebs. Now, if you said Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe or maybe Panerai, you would be on to something. Somehow though I cant see Sid being a watch guy.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad