Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Pens re-sign Guentzel (5 years, $6M AAV)

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Many Pen fans were worried that it would be in the 6.5m range on the lower end of things - especially after Nylander signed for 6.9m. So while this isn't a cheap contract by any means, it is cheaper then most expected.

Nylander still has room to grow and I think was paid with some sort of growth in mind, I don't see the comparisons but yeah it's still a good deal for the pens

Lots of toxic discussion here I feel for no reason

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nylander still has room to grow and I think was paid with some sort of growth in mind, I don't see the comparisons but yeah it's still a good deal for the pens

Lots of toxic discussion here I feel for no reason

Oh without a doubt - I really like the Nylander contract for Toronto. I think the same could also be said for Guentzel (that there's room for growth) - he's still only in his 2nd full NHL season. I was just worried as a Pen's fan that after Guentzel's amazing playoffs the past 2 seasons, and his season so far (I can't believe that we (myself included) were complaining about him earlier on this season), that he'd be getting a lot more than 6m.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Plays with Crosby or Malkin and every game I have watched he is on his butt more often than not. Just like Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Simon the full time AHLer, or any of Crosby's linemates who magically got a big numbers boost. Guentzel is a product of Crosby and should be sending him half of the 3o million to him. Take away the generational talent and Guentz becomes the most overpaid zamboni since Hartnell roamed the ice.

21 of his 44 points involve Crosby. 13 of his goals have Crosby assists and he has 8 assists on Crosby goals from his 21 assists.

Hardly a product of Crosby when he's assist other scorers more

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Seems like a fair deal for both. He gets paid bags of cash at a young age. Penguins get decent term/ROI.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Good deal for the pens. Has great chemistry with Crosby and has proven himself as a playoff performer.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
21 of his 44 points involve Crosby. 13 of his goals have Crosby assists and he has 8 assists on Crosby goals from his 21 assists.

Hardly a product of Crosby when he's assist other scorers more

I think this proves the haters wrong that Guentzel is just a product of Crosby. When less than half his points have Crosby involved. Heck even if that number was much higher what really would that mean anyways? I am actually shocked that Crosby is involved in less than half his points when they are line mates. That’s pretty incredible considering how good Crosby is. But that statistic kind of puts these haters to bed.

Bottom line is Guentzel is on pace for 40+ goals and nearly a point a game player this year in only his 2nd full season in the NHL. His playoff production is even better than the pace he is doing this year. 37 games 23 goals and 42 points. Guentzel leads the Pens in goals this year and for the last 2 playoff runs I think he is worth his contract. Anyone that is trying to make a case otherwise is a bias troll.

Last edited:

PuckMasterZero

Mar 3, 2019
Guentzal update. 68 points in 71 games played. 10th in the league in goals with 36. 2nd in 5v5 goals after Ovechkin. Good chance he puts up 40 and 80 this year in only his second full season. He has 10 pp points playing the second unit. The players on the 1st unit are all around 20-25. If he were getting 1st unit time (which he should be getting >:( ) He would be a top 20 point producer and be in the top 5 for goals. Please tell me how he is an AHL'er?

Reactions: StroShow

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Players with more even strength points than Guentzal
Kucherov/McDavid/Kane/ Crosby/Gaudreau/Draisaitl/Marner/Tavares/
Players with more even Strength goals
Kane/Tavares

I don't give 2 shits who he plays with , that is very impressive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad