Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Pens re-sign Guentzel (5 years, $6M AAV)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Plays with Crosby or Malkin and every game I have watched he is on his butt more often than not. Just like Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Simon the full time AHLer, or any of Crosby's linemates who magically got a big numbers boost. Guentzel is a product of Crosby and should be sending him half of the 3o million to him. Take away the generational talent and Guentz becomes the most overpaid zamboni since Hartnell roamed the ice.

I love it when people post so much shit, it's clearly obvious that they're talking out of their ass so badly they wouldn't be able to find it with 2 hands and a map.

Do Guentzel's numbers get a boost by playing with Crosby? Sure - no different then any other player in the league playing with star players. But Guentzel is not a "product of Crosby". He in his own right is a high end talent in the NHL. You do not see to many flashy moves, but if you're paying attention you see many many smart plays that show off his high IQ.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I get that he had an amazing playoffs the last 2 years but it seems crazy the league is paying guys 6 million a year when they havent even broken 50 points yet.

Lockout incoming

Wait 5 or 6 weeks. He will have before the contract kicks in.

Use some context too. He came in his first year and scored 33 in 40 games. Had some trouble adjusting to being a professional NHL player in his first full season and scored 48 points in a full season. He’s on pace for 73 points in his second full season. He’s going to hit 60 at least. Add his 42 points in 37 playoff games (23 goals) and It’s not a crazy contract at all.

Watch him play. He’s a good playmaker, is a really good shot and thinks the game at a high level. Guys with those skill sets do really well in the modern game. He’s had about 2 full seasons worth of games at a rate of 59 points/per 82 (that goes to 93 points/per 82 in the playoffs).

The kid is legit.

Reactions: Giskard

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Plays with Crosby or Malkin and every game I have watched he is on his butt more often than not. Just like Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Simon the full time AHLer, or any of Crosby's linemates who magically got a big numbers boost. Guentzel is a product of Crosby and should be sending him half of the 3o million to him. Take away the generational talent and Guentz becomes the most overpaid zamboni since Hartnell roamed the ice.

How does it feel to be speaking like an expert while actually being completely wrong? Not good, I assume.

You're telling people who have seen this player's entire career that what they saw isn't true and what you saw is. It's stupid man. It doesn't make any sense.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

1. Neal rarely played with Crosby.
2. If you think Guentzel is on his ass a lot, you've probably confused him with Sheary.
3. Peep Crosby's numbers in the 3 playoff runs before Guentzel and the 2 playoffs since.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Why is it that every signing thread, there's always posts like this that are so clearly clueless about the player they're discussing, yet they decide to go on a paragraph long diatribe of nonsense anyways?

And it's always the over the top hyperbole. None of this more reasoned "might be a bit much because I'm not sure if he's a 60 point guy without Crosby or just a 40-50 point guy" type stuff. It's got to be this over the top "OMG HE SUX" stuff.

Reactions: Riptide

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Why is it that every signing thread, there's always posts like this that are so clearly clueless about the player they're discussing, yet they decide to go on a paragraph long diatribe of nonsense anyways?

And it's always the over the top hyperbole. None of this more reasoned "might be a bit much because I'm not sure if he's a 60 point guy without Crosby or just a 40-50 point guy" type stuff. It's got to be this over the top "OMG HE SUX" stuff.

Seeing how its only Pens fans getting up in arms about my amazing post, I must of struck a nerve. Lets not forget Rutherford and his genius handed out an eerily similar contract to Semin in Carolina and with an eerily similar player in Guentz. Only difference is Guentz has yet to play the bongos with Marc Staal.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Guent is far from a Crosby product but he obviously benefits

People are clueless, him and Nylander have no business being compared, totally different players

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Seeing how its only Pens fans getting up in arms about my amazing post, I must of struck a nerve. Lets not forget Rutherford and his genius handed out an eerily similar contract to Semin in Carolina and with an eerily similar player in Guentz. Only difference is Guentz has yet to play the bongos with Marc Staal.

incredulous.gif

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Id say without Crosby he's a safe 50 to 65 point lock, and thats without Crosby and he brings it up in big games

6m isn't a steal but it isn't an overpayment

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton

Guentz is no where close to semins skill or playstyle, have you even watched him

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Describe Guentzel's game for me. I'm curious to see whether you can actually describe what kind of player he is or not.

Note: "product of Crosby" or "small guy with skill" isn't descriptive.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Describe Guentzel's game for me. I'm curious to see whether you can actually describe what kind of player he is or not.

Note: "product of Crosby" or "small guy with skill" isn't descriptive.

When a poster starts out with the premise "Guentzel is eerily similar to Semin", is there even any point to continuing the conversation?

It's like trying to talk to somebody about food and they say pizza and brussel sprouts are eerily similar. Your time is more valuable than this. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
When a poster starts out with the premise "Guentzel is eerily similar to Semin", is there even any point to continuing the conversation?

It's like trying to talk to somebody about food and they say pizza and brussel sprouts are eerily similar. Your time is more valuable than this. :laugh:

I'm giving that poster the benefit of the doubt that he (she?) doesn't actually think Guentzel and Semin play a similar style of game.

Also, I think you overestimate how valuable my time is.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
I begrudgingly congratulate the Penguins on a really good deal for a really good player.

Reactions: domaug

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I’d be interested to see his production away from Crosby. Not really implying anything there, just would be interesting. Regardless, he’s earned the $ through playoff performances.

When he came up his first year he started on the 4th line and produced then got his chance with Sid and ran with it. Guentzel has played well since coming into the league he has averaged over 30 goals and 65 points for 82 game average when calculate all his games 196 and points 156. Also was one of the best playoff performers in the league since he arrived. I don’t care who you play with you are going to get paid if you produce like that. Whether it is Crosby, McDavid, Mathews or any other top tier center you play with if you are putting up those averages over your career you are getting that type of deal.

How many players are playing at a 30+ goal and 65+ point per 82 games average over career that have almost all of those numbers 5v5. I bet that list is very small of players that have had better 5v5 numbers per game since Guentzel has been in the league. Guentzel’s combined regular season and playoffs 5v5 is off the charts and add to the fact how he raises his game come playoffs how is he not worth this contract?

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
When he came up his first year he started on the 4th line and produced then got his chance with Sid and ran with it. Guentzel has played well since coming into the league he has averaged over 30 goals and 65 points for 82 game average when calculate all his games 196 and points 156. Also was one of the best playoff performers in the league since he arrived. I don’t care who you play with you are going to get paid if you produce like that. Whether it is Crosby, McDavid, Mathews or any other top tier center you play with if you are putting up those averages over your career you are getting that type of deal.

How many players are playing at a 30+ goal and 65+ point per 82 games average over career that have almost all of those numbers 5v5. I bet that list is very small of players that have had better 5v5 numbers per game since Guentzel has been in the league. Guentzel’s combined regular season and playoffs 5v5 is off the charts and add to the fact how he raises his game come playoffs how is he not worth this contract?

...You literally quoted me saying he’s earned the money. Did you reply to me by mistake?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

No, you just showed your utter ignorance.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Id say without Crosby he's a safe 50 to 65 point lock, and thats without Crosby and he brings it up in big games

6m isn't a steal but it isn't an overpayment

Many Pen fans were worried that it would be in the 6.5m range on the lower end of things - especially after Nylander signed for 6.9m. So while this isn't a cheap contract by any means, it is cheaper then most expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad