Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins sign Justin Schultz (1 yr, $1.4M)

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
How is this a GREAT deal claimed by some? He is a 6-7 D and even overpaid for that role (most of the time it's minimum). The chance to get a surprised high reward is slim to none, as his potential is known. All in all it's an OK deal because of the "BIG" name.

He was on a 35 pt pace with limited ice time (same as always). What do you think he gets next year if he puts up 35 with a positive +/-?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Had he went to be a proper team with proper development his earnings would have been a lot higher. Schultz made the wrong choice to choose the Oilers when they were literally at the bottom in terms of defensive development.

Somewhat like karma when you screw over the team that drafted you for more money.

How? On a proper team, he never would have earned as much on his second and third contracts (over $7.5M over two years). In all likelihood, going to Edmonton increased his lifetime earnings. Similar to Hodgson asking to be traded from the Canucks. He did not develop as well as a player, but was put in a position to earn a big contract and probably earned more than he otherwise would have.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
A lot of coin for a #7 d man.

How is this a GREAT deal claimed by some? He is a 6-7 D and even overpaid for that role (most of the time it's minimum). The chance to get a surprised high reward is slim to none, as his potential is known. All in all it's an OK deal because of the "BIG" name.

Nick Schultz? Sargent Schultz? Which Schultz are you talking about, because it's not Justin.

But let's stoop to bizzaro levels and say that he IS a #6. How is 1.4 out of whack for a #6 with offensive upside, PP QB ability / Letang cover?

I get that people love to blindly hate players for different reasons, but these two posts are out to lunch and not at all based in reality.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
A lot of coin for a #7 d man.

The guy went from logging 5 minutes in GM1 of the first round to 18 minutes in GM1 of the Finals.

The way he is trending, he is gonna be more than a number 7. Speaking of which, can you tell me which 6 blueliners are going to play ahead of him?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Had he went to be a proper team with proper development his earnings would have been a lot higher. Schultz made the wrong choice to choose the Oilers when they were literally at the bottom in terms of defensive development.

Somewhat like karma when you screw over the team that drafted you for more money.

Except that's just not true. Petry developed fine in Edmonton, as did Klefbom, same with Davidson, there's some more in the system that look to be developing just fine as well. The Oilers problems are the lack of top pairing D and lack of picks projected to develop into that, but in terms of developing defensemen they have been able to do it, just that they lack that real #1 guy to shelter everyone else.

The problems that Schultz had were all of his own making. You think it was a coincidence that he was one of the guys traded not long after Mclellan came out and said that numerous coaches have been telling guys the same things and it was time for certain players to look in the mirror and realize that maybe they were the ones that needed to change?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He was sheltered in the playoffs, but he did well in the role he was given. Pens don't need to rely on Pouliot as a regular if he struggles to start the season. So we can send him down to WBS to get more ice time, and have one of the journeymen we signed on July 1 as our #7.

We retain Schultz's rights next summer, so we also have some options in terms of our blue line with the expansion draft and Daley being a UFA. Vegas picks Schultz, we retain Pouliot.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
It's kind of amazing how everyone associated with the Pens organization - GM, coaches, players, media - have nothing but good things to say about Schultz but he was terrible on and off the ice in Edmonton. Maybe he has Dissociative Identity Disorder or something.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'm happy with this, adds depth to our blueline and I didn't want him back for anything over 1.5M.

Hopefully he picks up where he left off.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Lots of players escape Edmonton and go on to rebuild their careers.

Good for Shultz - I look forward to watching Hall excel on the Devils

While every team will have some players who leave the team and do better with a fresh start, please educate me on the "lots of players" who have left Edmonton and rebuilt their careers?

And FWIW, Hall had two PPG+ seasons with the Oilers and was a top-3 LW for point production over the last 5 seasons for the entire league. So how exactly did he struggle in Edm? He excelled there despite playing on a poorly designed team.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I like Schultz . I hope he does well . He look good in his first year after lighting the AHL up for 1/2 the lock out season . Mac T screwed him real well . He paid him and call him a future Norris winner putting all kinds of pressure on him . The Fans bought in to Mac T idiot statement and every time Schultz made a mistake he was boo . Make no wonder the kid crumble . **** Mac T and his month always saying dumb **** to the media . Hoping the next time JS plays in Edmonton he pulls a Wideman and takes Mac T out if he steps on the ice .

Did I mention **** Mac T he is an idiot

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hence the blizzard of Kunitz threads. Pens are in the same spot BOS was in a couple of years ago when they did the Boychuk deal. Hagelin might have to be moved, but will he get much interest?

Cap issues has zero to do with Pens fans wanting Kunitz dealt. The Pens could have $20 million in cap space and we'd still want Kunitz dealt.

As for this deal, it's a very solid deal to solidify the bottom pairing. If Schultz can also add secondary offense from the back-end (5+ goals, 20+ points) to go along with adequate defensive play, it'll be a steal.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Couldn't have been happier to see him leave Edmonton. But good for him for finally being on a team that knows how to use him properly. I'm a 6/7 spot.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It doesn't mean nothing in the regular season. No matter how much finagling the Penguins do I'm confident in predicting they won't be able to replace 100% of Dupuis' cap hit via LTIR. 80% or 90% might be doable with the right roster moves, but 100% is next to impossible to pull off.

Using armchair-gm, I was able to get it to less than 20k of Dupuis' cap hit (19,168 to be precise). That's about 99.5%. Close enough for most intents and purposes.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The guy went from logging 5 minutes in GM1 of the first round to 18 minutes in GM1 of the Finals.

The way he is trending, he is gonna be more than a number 7. Speaking of which, can you tell me which 6 blueliners are going to play ahead of him?

what were his minutes in game 6 though?
if I recall, he didn't receive a single minutes of ES time in the 3rd

and screw MacT for giving him too much too soon...Oilers shattered his confidence

perrygetzanother

Jun 14, 2014
somewhere nice
Every year judas schultz plays in the NHL a little duckling is smashed by donnie darko's bunny.

Sorry to see that he actually got 1.4 mil, glad to see he's not being paid more.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Using armchair-gm, I was able to get it to less than 20k of Dupuis' cap hit (19,168 to be precise). That's about 99.5%. Close enough for most intents and purposes.

Then you're doing better then I could. Best I could do with a 23 man roster, not sending anyone to the minors that would require waivers (Sheary, Kuhnhack, Rust, etc) and Dupuis on LTIR was within 300k.

Anyway, something I haven't seen anyone mention is how this affects the Pens for the expansion draft. PIT will almost certainly qualify Schultz next summer seeing how it will only cost them 1.4m to do so to retain his rights. That means that even if Pouliot (or Schultz) is selected in the draft, PIT will still have one younger PMD here. Or at least they'll have the rights to one. This will give them a little more time to see what Prow and Bengtsson can do.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
schultz came in and had to learn an entirely new system for an actual hockey team that was required to win games. He played in 18 regular season games and scored 8 points (only 2 on the PP) in just over 14min ATOI. He was pretty much an even possession player with pittsburgh, despite being paired with Ian Cole. The old Oil fans coming in here saying he doesnt deserve this are just bitter.

I am perfectly content with the deal and I'm excited to see what he can bring with a full offseason and a full year in pittsburgh

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
love the deal for the pens. The amount of depth the pens have on D right now is awesome. Sure Schultz isnt great. Neither are any of the other guys they signed this summer but i love the way they have added a ton of potential bottom pairing defensemen for very cheap this summer

Yeah but in the regular season you can't count on Maata or Letang. Good signing for that reason alone.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
what were his minutes in game 6 though?
if I recall, he didn't receive a single minutes of ES time in the 3rd

He had 1 shift in the 3rd in the game. Lovejoy had 16 shifts (same as Letang). Doesn't change the fact that most Pen fans are happy that Schultz signed and that Lovejoy walked.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
This brings me joy.

Not because we have signed a guy that played well for us. We did.
Not because he came very reasonable deal. He did.
Not because he revived his career. He did.

But because a couple years ago an Olier fan (probably one saying he sucks right now) actually argued with me that Justin Schultz was better than Kris Letang.

So either that guy was a dead wrong homer drunk, or we just got a top 5 defenseman for 1.4 million and a 3rd round pick.

Either way it just delicious. :laugh:

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
He seems happy and motivated here and that's all I really care about. I honestly couldn't care less if he played PS4 and ate Cheetos on the bench during his time in Edmonton. He clearly needed a change of scenery, he got one, it's a win for him and both teams involved.

There were many many games where the team, and his metrics, would've benefited from him staying on the bench and eating cheetos.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
This brings me joy.

But because a couple years ago an Olier fan (probably one saying he sucks right now) actually argued with me that Justin Schultz was better than Kris Letang.

So either that guy was a dead wrong homer drunk, or we just got a top 5 defenseman for 1.4 million and a 3rd round pick.

I can barely find happiness in simple things, let alone that kind of logic. That's great.

Everything's turning up Ramzi Abid, wherever he is.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
This brings me joy.

I hate that you are right.
I wish Schultz was better than Letang. He never would have left.

I'm not even glad he found a home. He was honestly that bad in Edmonton. He mentally checked out long before the trade. Seeing anyone not put in the effort is more frustrating than seeing someone play poorly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad