Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins sign Justin Schultz (1 yr, $1.4M)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Perfect depth D-Man for the way the Pens play now.
Speedy, good first pass, ability to join the rush.
Just needs to work on his D some and he can become a Niskanen type of player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
About a million more than he's worth, but good on him for swindling another team.

539D07E5-DA70-4D9E-ADB3-8AD3B562C320_mw1024_s_n.jpg

Yeah, he's totally only worth $400k per season :sarcasm:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
About a million more than he's worth, but good on him for swindling another team.

I really think people are not taking for granted how bad the Oilers were. It didn't help McDavid went down either.

Their D-corps were pretty bad all around. Not being counted on to be a savior in that position like he was up there can help a players turnaround in a new winning atmosphere. He took a cheap deal to prove he can.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We get it. He sucked as your #1 defenseman. Blame management for not doing a thing about acquiring an actual legitimate defense corps, not Schultz for not being a #1 guy.

In Pittsburgh, Schultz played like a solid puck mover. He was adequate defensively, and was great at moving the puck up the ice. Maybe him not having to be the #1 guy and Pittsburgh actually having an NHL defense had something to do with that. :sarcasm:

In any case, we're perfectly happy with him at $1.4 million. And guess what? Even if he completely goes into the ****ter, he's signed for a single season and he is signed as a depth guy. No risk, big reward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oiler fan happy for Schultz.

He was in way over his head here and quite soft, but he can be useful in a limited 5/6 role and has some decent talent.

He doesn't deserve to be booted out of the league or something.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
There were many many games where the team, and his metrics, would've benefited from him staying on the bench and eating cheetos.

That's a shame. Perhaps if he had been given the proper role and TOI at a more reasonable salary things would have been different. At least he seems to have turned it around here.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Pens will be fine with Schultz as a #6 defenseman, especially if he puts up the points as well.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
what were his minutes in game 6 though?
if I recall, he didn't receive a single minutes of ES time in the 3rd

and screw MacT for giving him too much too soon...Oilers shattered his confidence

Eh, that's not really a useful metric to judge an offense first d man when you're up 1g in the last period of the (potentially) clinching game.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I hate that you are right.
I wish Schultz was better than Letang. He never would have left.

I'm not even glad he found a home. He was honestly that bad in Edmonton. He mentally checked out long before the trade. Seeing anyone not put in the effort is more frustrating than seeing someone play poorly.

Can't say I blame him. He was set up for failure in the role he had.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Good for him. The Oilers destroyed this kid and he's now getting a second chance. I hope he makes the best of it and becomes a decent middle pairing defenseman ~ Oilers fan

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Smart move for Schultz, he could have signed elsewhere for more, but he fits in well with the Pens and finally has a coach that can get him to reach his potential in Gonchar.

Best of luck to the kid, hope he finally puts it all together.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
good for him. I knew he'd look better outside of Edmonton. Just wonder what Hall is going to do. Or is he "ruined"?

Anyway, not that I think this is a bad deal but could a team take this contract and trade him to another team with ...$1.2m retained? I don't know why i just thought to ask that.

edit: and oh, he has no one but himself to blame for signing up with Eddy in the first place. I know he wanted guaranteed NHL time, the more minutes the better, but obviously that wasn't the best idea. Hope other players in his pre-signing situation take notes.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Yes because this so called 'swindle' is remotely comparable to what another team may have done. I will take this deal every day as a Pens fan. What happened in the past seems to be another story to some and should not even remotely be in the this conversation.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Smart move for Schultz, he could have signed elsewhere for more, but he fits in well with the Pens and finally has a coach that can get him to reach his potential in Gonchar.

Best of luck to the kid, hope he finally puts it all together.

Really? Who was offering him more? Link please.

He was going to get a significant pay cut no matter where he went. This is the most I think any team would pay for him, but it's still a good deal.

Accurate comment - he was a UFA, due to not receiving a qualifying offer. I doubt there were many interested in him as his game has many deficiencies.

Smart of him to not get difficult by going to arbitration. Not at all convinced he'll ever become a stud NHLer but he's definitely put himself in a good position to succeed.

UFAs do not qualify for arbitration.

Doesn't change the fact that he had the best SAT% among PITs D in the playoffs.

I am sure that had nothing to do with the fact he started in the offensive zone 66.7% of the time. :rolleyes: The next highest on the Penguins during the playoffs was Cole at 55.91%

Look, Justin Schultz is a decent enough guy. He is a strong skater and has a good shot. He makes horrible decisions in his own zone with the puck (you should learn this well before you begin your NHL career), as he tends to panic when he anticipates the physical play. He rarely ever wins a puck battle and it looks like he could give a ****... his compete level has to one of the lowest in the NHL.

I was expecting someone to give him a 1 year offer at about $1-$1.2M... so this contract is in line. Those that think he is anything more than a 6/7 Dman with some ability to play on the PP are going to be very disappointed... as most Oiler fans were, when we expected him to be more than that. My guess is he will play about 60-65 games, healthy scratches on some nights when the game is expected to be a bit physical.

I wish him all the best but WYSIWYG.

mgd525

May 18, 2007

I'm guessing you didn't watch him play at all after the trade ? 1.4 is a solid deal for him on a 1 year prove it contract. He played well in Pittsburgh. He wasn't fantastic but he was solid. His defense was about average and did a very good job moving the puck up to our forwards in transition. Get over it, just because the guy sucked on the Oilers and his role doesn't mean he isn't a useful player for the Pens on the bottom pair and on the pp. He has been solid with the Pens if you like it or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad