Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins sign Justin Schultz (1 yr, $1.4M)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hence the blizzard of Kunitz threads. Pens are in the same spot BOS was in a couple of years ago when they did the Boychuk deal. Hagelin might have to be moved, but will he get much interest?

giphy.gif

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hopefully Schultz can continue to salvage his career in Pittsburgh. He played well in the 6/7 defensemen role and going forward the Penguins have the proper players to shield him. One concern would be if the loss of Lovejoy forces Schultz higher into the line-up than what he played in the playoffs after Daley was injured; however, I assume a healthy Daley would keep Schultz on the bottom-pairing.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hopefully Schultz can continue to salvage his career in Pittsburgh. He played well in the 6/7 defensemen role and going forward the Penguins have the proper players to shield him. One concern would be if the loss of Lovejoy forces Schultz higher into the line-up than what he played in the playoffs after Daley was injured; however, I assume a healthy Daley would keep Schultz on the bottom-pairing.

It's a pretty safe assumption unless there's more than one injury. The top 4 will be some combo of Letang, Daley, Dumoulin and Maatta with Cole, Schultz and Pouliot as 5-6-7. With the exception of PP situations the most likely to move up in the case of injury would be Cole.

Zennon

Mar 12, 2004
How is this a GREAT deal claimed by some? He is a 6-7 D and even overpaid for that role (most of the time it's minimum). The chance to get a surprised high reward is slim to none, as his potential is known. All in all it's an OK deal because of the "BIG" name.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
The Pens could give him the same deal they just gave Schultz.

He made $900k last year, too, so it's not like he'll be taking a major paycut regardless if he chooses Pittsburgh or Minnesota. He'll get a slight raise one way or another.

Cullen actually made 800k last year, a 1.2 million dollar contract would be a 50 percent raise, fair for both sides.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
The hope here is that Schultz will be ready and willing to re-sign at the end of next season to replace Daley as the second pairing offensive RD.

If going forward our D is set with:

Maatta - Letang
Dumoulin - Schultz
Pouliot - Cole

then I'll be a happy boy.

Going into this season I bet they have the bottom 3 guys battling it out for the bottom spot. Cole played better with competition.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
How is this a GREAT deal claimed by some? He is a 6-7 D and even overpaid for that role (most of the time it's minimum). The chance to get a surprised high reward is slim to none, as his potential is known. All in all it's an OK deal because of the "BIG" name.

He's a #6 for the Pens and for comparison, Roman Pollack and Kevan Miller both just got about $1MM more than Schultz got. I don't think his potential is totally known, either. He was better with the Pens than he was with the Oilers just in the short time he was here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He was going to get a significant pay cut no matter where he went. This is the most I think any team would pay for him, but it's still a good deal.

I seriously doubt that. If anything, this was the cheapest contract he was considering. 1.4m for a 6-2 25 yr old PMD? I could easily see teams taking a gamble on him. If Radulov can get 5m+, I think Schultz easily could have gotten 2-2.5m for a year or two from someone.

I think the real question was what he felt was best for his career. He fit in really well in Pittsburgh and made some massive strides since coming here. Signing here on a team with this much depth (up front and on the blueline) means he can just play. He doesn't have to be
"the guy" and he can just work on the basics in a system he knows with a team and coaching staff he's comfortable with. If things work out, he can get more money next year.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Eakins did a real number on his development, but it's on Schultz that he didn't have the work ethic in Edmonton.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Hence the blizzard of Kunitz threads. Pens are in the same spot BOS was in a couple of years ago when they did the Boychuk deal. Hagelin might have to be moved, but will he get much interest?

? No.

Boston's situation was that they had overage penalties from the previous season because of the Iginla contract (and another guy...Hamilton, maybe). Pitt doesn't have any of that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Had he went to be a proper team with proper development his earnings would have been a lot higher. Schultz made the wrong choice to choose the Oilers when they were literally at the bottom in terms of defensive development.

Somewhat like karma when you screw over the team that drafted you for more money.

How did he get "more money" when he signed in Edmonton for the exact same contract that every other team offered him?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Eakins did a real number on his development, but it's on Schultz that he didn't have the work ethic in Edmonton.

Yes and no. There comes a point when giving all you have for a meager return begins to diminish motivation and confidence.

Just like at your job, if you give 110% every day but your boss is a jackwagon and the company isn't moving forward through no fault of your own, your motivation and confidence will take a hit.

I'm really happy he got out of Edmonton and appears to be on the path of recovery.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
He seems happy and motivated here and that's all I really care about. I honestly couldn't care less if he played PS4 and ate Cheetos on the bench during his time in Edmonton. He clearly needed a change of scenery, he got one, it's a win for him and both teams involved.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

He spent his whole career in the ahl until the past trade deadline.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

A lot of coin for a #7 d man.

Guess it's a good thing he's not a #7D man then isn't it? But don't worry, you don't need to trust some random poster on the internet, you can just trust the GM of the year and the GM who just won the Stanley Cup! I think it's pretty safe to say that he knows a little more about what he's doing then either of you two. :laugh:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
As a Pens fan I'm glad he's back. He seemed to really benefit from the change of scenery. He's a solid bottom pairing PMD that can help on the PP. I liked his game while he was here and am interested to see our staff continue to get to work with him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lots of players escape Edmonton and go on to rebuild their careers.

Good for Shultz - I look forward to watching Hall excel on the Devils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad