Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins sign Justin Schultz (1 yr, $1.4M)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Thought he could get a lot more then that. Not in PIT, but elsewhere. Happy to see he signed - especially at that price.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Low risk high reward..... This might be a great deal for both the penguins and Shultz. Pittsburgh was a good situation for him. I wonder if Derrick Pouliot's days are now number. Both are similar players.

Yeah, it makes you wonder.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If you watched him play in Edmonton you'd be shocked he's still in the league.

As a Pens fan I can tell you that he found his game big time when he came over here. Maybe it's the smaller role, maybe coaching, who knows, but he played excellent down the stretch and into the playoffs. I wouldn't want him in the top 4 but he's a solid third pair/2nd pp guy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm way good with this.

Suitable 3rd pairing guy that can quarterback PP2.

Nice to see him taking a pretty significant paycut to stay with the Pens.

He was going to get a significant pay cut no matter where he went. This is the most I think any team would pay for him, but it's still a good deal.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
As a Pens fan I can tell you that he found his game big time when he came over here. Maybe it's the smaller role, maybe coaching, who knows, but he played excellent down the stretch and into the playoffs. I wouldn't want him in the top 4 but he's a solid third pair/2nd pp guy.

He was shoved into a bigger role and expected to lead a 2nd pairing which he failed at pretty spectacularly.

I guess don't keep him in any sort of responsibility role or in moments where he could affect the result of the game and he should be ok. 1 year is smart for sure.

etm124

Dec 21, 2014
Pennsylvania
Low risk high reward..... This might be a great deal for both the penguins and Shultz. Pittsburgh was a good situation for him. I wonder if Derrick Pouliot's days are now number. Both are similar players.

Meh.

Consol was built on an old indian burial ground. It's only a matter of time before one of the defensemen have an injury and Pretty Ricky can log some minutes.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Yeah he had stretches in Edmonton that made you think he had figured it out too, trouble is he's a lazy player. Perhaps taking such a big hair cut on his pay day boots him in the ass to be motivated full time, but at this point I'll believe it when I see it. If he'd worked hard in Edmonton he'd likely still be there earning a lot more money.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Makes sense, he played well enough for Pittsburgh, but didn't play enough games there to prove that he can consistently play at NHL-quality level after his abysmal play here in Edmonton. Play well and get your payday, revert back to Edmonton form and get out of the league.

Exactly the contract I'd offer.

The only fear is that he's a player who absolutely needs to be externally motivated. He could very well play great this year to get his contract then get complacent again. I hope for Pittsburgh's sake that being a consistent playoff team is enough to motivate him in that case.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah he had stretches in Edmonton that made you think he had figured it out too, trouble is he's a lazy player. Perhaps taking such a big hair cut on his pay day boots him in the ass to be motivated full time, but at this point I'll believe it when I see it. If he'd worked hard in Edmonton he'd likely still be there earning a lot more money.

I think the Oilers just kept trying to make him something he wasn't, and his confidence slowly eroded and hit the lowest of the lows last year. For sure, any fan hates to see guys making millions and giving up, but it became an impossible situation for him here. We needed him to play lots of minutes and he had to be out there against good players. He simply was not capable of handing that responsibility and no matter how hard he tried he was going to fail. Pretty crappy situation to be in.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Smart of him to not get difficult by going to arbitration. Not at all convinced he'll ever become a stud NHLer but he's definitely put himself in a good position to succeed.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Good move. He pairs up well with Ian Cole and Gonchar can continue to work with him as a PP quarterback. If he has a good season he can cash in next year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Good move. He pairs up well with Ian Cole and Gonchar can continue to work with him as a PP quarterback. If he has a good season he can cash in next year.

Worth noting that he'll be an RFA again, but this time he'll only require a sensible QO.

This is still a clear show-me deal and if he breaks out then he probably would be in line to take Daley's spot/money. If not...oh well, move along.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
funny how that is said so often about edmonton players. Must be something to do with edmonton.

Nah, he had stretches of 20 games where he'd look better than Petry but then regress back to his soft giveaway style when pressured. He definitely played "above his position" (belonged on bottom-pair rather than first). Loved his wrister in his first year then he stopped using it.

Good contract for both Pens and Jultz

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Great signing. I have a feeling we'll continue to see him recover/ improve as a player.

As a Devils fan, I can only hope this trend continues with all former Oilers.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Fanager says teh Pens are over the cap by 2.2 mill. Who are the Pens gonna move? Fleury?

Does that take into account that they need to LTIR Dupuis once the season starts? Fleury, Kunitz and Fehr could all potentianlly be moved if needed, though I think it is far more likely that they're not moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad