Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Some Like it Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here’s my spreadsheet for upcoming UFAs, each team’s cap situation, and a trade tracker. I update the spreadsheet daily. I use CapFriendly to create this list and AFP Analytics for the contract projections.

Edit: Spreadsheet has been updated with AFP's latest projections and I added a new section for RFAs.

Top-6 Forwards
Sam ReinhartRW288y/10.25m
Jake GuentzelW296y/7.94m
Steven StamkosLW/C343y/6.30m
Jonathan MarchessaultW333y/6.25m
Joe PavelskiRW391y/3.94m
Matt DucheneRW/C333y/6.46m
Sean MonahanFW293y/2.87m
Tyler ToffoliW325y/6.53m
Jonathan DrouinW294y/4.46m
Teuvo TeravainenW295y/6.13m
Vladimir TarasenkoRW323y/5.64m
Adam HenriqueLW/C342y/4.60m
Chandler StephensonC/LW305y/5.77m
Max DomiC/RW293y/4.17m
Patrick KaneRW352y/5.51m
Elias LindholmC/RW297y/8.04m
Anthony ManthaW293y/4.40m
Daniel SprongW273y/3.89m
Jake DeBruskW275y/5.92m
David PerronW362y/2.80m
Tyler BertuzziW295y/6.00m
Anthony DuclairW283y/3.22m
Jason ZuckerW323y/5.46m
Jack RoslovicC/RW273y/3.11m
Max PaciorettyLW35
Alexander BarabanovW303y/3.03m

Top-4 Defecemen
Shayne GostisbehereLD/RD313y/4.38m
Brady SkjeiLD306y/7.39m
Noah HanifinLD277y/7.69m
Brandon MontourRD307y/8.71m
Oliver Ekman-LarssonLD323y/3.67m
Dylan DeMeloRD314y/5.07m
Sean WalkerLD/RD294y/4.87m
Matt RoyRD294y/5.58m
TJ BrodieLD/RD343y/4.91m
Brenden DillonLD332y/3.91m
Alexandre CarrierRD273y/3.57m
Nikita ZadorovLD/RD294y/5.10m
Chris TanevRD343y/4.68m
Brett PesceRD296y/6.72m
Matt GrzelcykLD303y/4.07m
Oliver KylingtonLD/RD27

Bottom-6 Forwards
James van RiemsdykW351y/1.50m
Warren FoegeleW284y/3.58m
Stefan NoesenW312y/3.23m
Danton HeinenW28
Tyler JohnsonFW33
Alexander WennbergC294y/4.21m
Jordan MartinookW312y/2.79m
Dakota JoshuaLW283y/3.00m
Michael AmadioW28
Teddy BluegerC/LW292y/2.56m
Sam LaffertyFW292y/1.72m
Kiefer SherwoodW29
Mike HoffmanLW341y/1.86m
Tomas TatarW331y/2.21m
Kyle OkposoRW361y/1.96m
Kasperi KapanenRW27
Andrew CoglianoLW37
Jakob SilfverbergW332y/2.78m
Cal ClutterbuckRW36
Corey PerryRW39
Patrick MaroonW36
Yakov TreninLW/C273y/3.33m
Dominik KubalikW282y/1.34m
Anthony BeauvillierW27
Sam CarrickC/RW32
Tanner PearsonLW31
Zemgus GirgensonsLW/C302y/1.74m
Colin BlackwellC/RW31
Brandon DuhaimeW27
Nick CousinsLW/C30
Connor BrownW30
Joel KivirantaW28
William CarrierLW293y/2.68m
Tyler MotteW293y/2.55m
Samuel BlaisW281y/0.94m
Tyson JostC26

Bottom-Pairing Defencemen
Erik GustafssonLD323y/4.99m
Tyler MyersRD342y/2.67m
Justin SchultzRD332y/3.81m
Kevin ShattenkirkRD351y/1.37m
Jalen ChatfieldRD283y/2.77m
Mike ReillyLD301y/1.24m
Dmitry KulikovLD/RD33
Alec MartinezLD361y/1.7m
Tyson BarrieRD322y/3.72m
Jani HakanpaaRD322y/2.38m
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Ian ColeLD/RD352y/3.09m
Matt DumbaRD293y/3.73m
Colin MillerRD31
Mark GiordanoLD401y/3.11m
Marco ScandellaLD34
Calvin De HaanLD/RD33
Josh BrownRD30
Ilya LyubushkinRD301y/1.31m
Joel EdmundsonLD/RD31
Troy StecherRD30
Derek ForbortLD32
Erik JohnsonRD361y/1.13m

Forward Depth
Christian FischerW27
Craig SmithRW34
Victor OlofssonW28
Trevor LewisRW/C37
Justin BaileyRW29
Kevin StenlundC/RW27
Jeff CarterRW/C39
Ryan CarpenterRW/C33
Nicolas Aube-KubelRW282y/1.53m
AJ GreerW27
Liam O'BrienW29
Chris TierneyC30
Mattias JanmarkW31
Sam GagnerRW/C34
Brendan SmithLD/RD35
Eric RobinsonLW29
Zach PariseLW39
Kevin LabancW282y/1.94m
Fredrik OlofssonC/LW28
Alex Barre-BouletW27
Matt MartinW35
Radim ZohornaW28
Pierre-Edouard BellemareC/LW39
Tyler PitlickRW32
Austin WatsonW32
Tomas NosekLW/C31
Jansen HarkinsLW27
Rourke ChartierC28
Steven LorentzFW28

Defensive Depth
Jack JohnsonLD37
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Anthony DeangeloRD282y/1.80m
Jarred TinordiLD32
Sebastian AhoLD28
Dakota MermisLD/RD30
Jacob MacDonaldLD/RD31
Dennis GilbertLD27
Nikita ZaitsevRD32
Nick DeSimoneRD29
Travis DermottLD/RD27
Caleb JonesLD/RD27
Chad RuhwedelRD34
William LagesonLD/RD28

Goaltenders
Cam TalbotG361y/1.89m
Ilya SamsonovG272y/3.26m
Alex NedeljkovicG282y/2.00m
Kaapo KahkonenG272y/2.93m
Scott WedgewoodG312y/1.57m
Casey DeSmithG321y/2.02m
Anthony StolarzG302y/1.91m
James ReimarG36
Antti RaantaG351y/1.31m
David RittichG31
Kevin LankinenG291y/1.58m
Laurent BrossoitG312y/1.95m
Calvin PickardG32
Martin JonesG34

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
To me it comes down to whether you keep Hronek or Lindholm, and what the subsequent trade value of Hronek is if you go in that direction, because that will largely dictate what you're looking to address. I like the three-deep centre setup we have currently, but you probably take a bigger hit on defense if you go in that direction.

If all our free agents use the playoffs as leverage on contracts we're in trouble because we cannot afford many of these guys at market value. For example, if Hronek and Lindholm both still think they're worth $7.5-8M AAV and we lose both we're pretty screwed. Then if Zadorov is stuck on 6x6 and Joshua thinks he can get 4x4ish ... yikes man.

There's a scenario where you're looking for a new Hughes partner, a new second-pair RSD, a new 3C, and building a second line around Pettersson. The return on Hronek had better be significant, and you better find some value in free agency.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
My hunch is that we sign only one of our big three pending UFAs - Lindholm, Zadorov, Joshua.

I would guess we retain Myers and let Cole go.

And I think we pursue some other pieces in free agency.

Just my guess.

This franchise will need a few prospects to make massive leaps in their development over the next 2 years. You really just hope Raty, Lekkerimaki and Bains transition into NHLers and offset losses in the bottom 6. Likewise, you hope guys like Pettersson (D), McWard and Willander push their way onto the Canucks blueline.

Really sucks that Podkolzin and Klimovich took steps back the past 2 years.

Part of JR's success in Pittsburgh was having young guys like Dumoulin, Rust, Sheary, Wilson and Maata push their way onto the roster.

Reactions: vanuck and Lindgren

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
In looking at the numbers this morning, we're kind of one expensive guy away from flexibility. This is what I would like to see:

Hronek @ 7mil
Zadorov @ 5.8mil
Lindholm @ 7mil
Joshua @ 3mil
Blueger @ 2mil
Myers @ 3mil

We could technically afford all of that IF we found a way to move Mikheyev. But, we would have only 3.8mil left to sign a right side defenseman and ideally another forward that could slip into the top 6 (at that rate, likely a reclamation project).

Pettersson11.6Hoglander1.1
Boeser6.65Miller8Suter1.6
Garland4.95Lindholm7Joshua3
Aman0.88Blueger2Podkolzin1
13F0.8
Hughes7.85Hronek7
Soucy3.25
Zadorov5.8Myers3
Demko5
Silovs0.79
Ferland LTIR0
Poolman LTIR0
OEL Buyout2.35
Estimated Salary Cap
87.5​
Mil
Total Cap
83.612​
Mil
Cap Space
3.888​
Mil

That would be our best "run it back" option. The thing about Mikheyev is, I don't know, he could rebound next year... But even still, he's just really expensive for what he brings. A buyout really isn't an option, and it would probably cost us a 2nd round pick to move him. If we have to keep him, then we could let Blueger and Myers walk instead. We'd have to role Aman or a prospect at 4C, and we'd only have about 3.25mil to add two defensemen.

Like I said, we're one heavy contract away from flexibility. Our management team likely has some other ideas on what we need as well though, so I imagine this template is far off from what they'll actually do haha.
Probably better to not sign Zadorov, Joshua. Doubt Bluegar will sign for that cheap. we should try to run like 3-4M under the cap so we have more room to maneuver around TDL.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This franchise will need a few prospects to make massive leaps in their development over the next 2 years. You really just hope Raty, Lekkerimaki and Bains transition into NHLers and offset losses in the bottom 6. Likewise, you hope guys like Pettersson (D), McWard and Willander push their way onto the Canucks blueline.

Part of JR's success in Pittsburgh was having young guys like Dumoulin, Rust, Sheary, Wilson and Maata push their way onto the roster.

While I agree, I also think we are still at least a year out from Lekkerimaki or Willander making an impact with the big club. Willander will be back in college next year, and Lekkerimaki will be in Abbotsford - will be good to more closely follow him and his development.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Need Pod to replace Joshua on the 3rd line.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
While I agree, I also think we are still at least a year out from Lekkerimaki or Willander making an impact with the big club. Willander will be back in college next year, and Lekkerimaki will be in Abbotsford - will be good to more closely follow him and his development.

Yeah, the guys needed next year are Raty, Podz and Bains. Aman will likely be needed on a more full-time basis. I don't hold out much hope we have any young defensemen poised to take a regular shift in the NHL.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah, the guys needed next year are Raty, Podz and Bains. Aman will likely be needed on a more full-time basis. I don't hold out much hope we have any young defensemen poised to take a regular shift in the NHL.

I think Podkolzin and Aman are basically with the team unless they get replaced by free agent acquisitions - I believe both are waiver eligible.

The Canucks are very high on Bains and his development curve has gone up each season - I was surprised Raty didn't get a look this year despite having a breakthrough AHL season in the second half.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

This really feels like 2006-2008 again where we were waiting for guys like Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Edler and Hansen to either further develop or make their way onto the roster. It would be massive if we had a bumper crop of youth contribute at a low cap hit during the OEL dead cap years. Part of me is optimistic and hopes we avoid any lengthy term deals to the older UFA's, but another part of me knows Miller isn't getting any younger.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
These playoffs could be used to prioritize who to sign.

First off defence is harder to find than forwards.
A good example is this group essentially lost over 70 goals off the roster since the allstar break.
Moving Kuzmenko and Pettersson game taking a nose dive.
And still they went this far and not even with their Vezina candidate goalie.

So on defence in order of resigning
Zadorov, no dman had as much attention from the other side, played left side and right side and was the team's leading goal scorer. Hi priority to sign, I have posted 6-7 for 7 years with clause. That might not be enough now with what TO i likely to offer him.
Myers, paired with Soucy to face the two of the best players on the planet and held their own as much as any pairing in the league would. 3-4 for 3/4 years
Hronek, a good RHD for the easy season and was tasked with playing with Hughes a lot. In the easy season not so bad but not good enough to make up for Hughes not being able to handle the big boys so he had to and it wore him down. Can't have two little guys on one pairing. He might need to be sacrificed to keep others.
Cole, time has started catching up to him, the slowest dman on the roster, a one year deal maybe at 1 mil.

At forward
Joshua, but not at more than 3 mil. He is a journeyman that had a good 3/4 of a season. 3X4.
Lindholm, great a center and looked better than EP, but EPcan't be used as a comparison, his playoffs were so un EPish. 6X4 yrs.

A number of others will need to be dealt to keep the defence and Lindholm and Joshua.

The team showed that scoring was not Tocchet's first priority, from the all star break on he changed the system to tight low event hockey. Boeser had a GREAT playoff run, he does seem to be better then, but was out scored by Kuzmenko in the same number of games, scoring a 25 goal per year rate from the Allstar game on. The entire team scoring dropped like a rock but then maybe all that goal scoring also had to do with unrealistically high shooting percentages earlier on in the easy season. I think I posted that over 10% of the goals came in 5% of the games, or something like that.

I still think Boeser should be moves while the kettle is hot. There will be other cheaper, faster, bigger and younger players that fit Tocchet's board battle warrior style. And with his playoff play he will get a very good return.

If Garland decided to move on now I don't think he would have any trouble at all. But he might be a keeper now, he can drive a line by himself.

And now probably 3+ years of hearing "find a winger for Pettersson" or partner for Hughes.

Up to the draft it ought to be interesting.

I await the signing news and the draft for trade action, this is Rutherford/Allvin combo does make waves in the market.

I would not be upset with Zadorov making over 7 mil.
I could work out the cap hit for the defence squad to keep it pretty close to what it is now.

Hronek's 4.75, Myers' 6, Cole's 3 and Zadorov's 3.75. Added together, 17.5 mil.
Zadorov 7 mil
Myers 3.5 mil
Juulsen .9mil
Leaving almost 7 mil to replace Hronek or resign him BUT if he is traded then the return might bolster the forward group and there are 30 large humans that play defence on the market this year.

The team also has to start hunting down replacements for Pettersson and JTMiller very soon. EP isn't in that inexperienced "young" core anymore. True still only 26 next season but in his 7/8th year since drafted. It took Miller over 4 years for him to establish himself. The Canucks don't have many high end top six prospects. They do have a few middle six guys.

Great and surprising season, I truly expected a one and done.
I hope this isn't a replay of Seattle but they will/could be hard pressed to improve the results of this season.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Bring up Raty to replace Lafferty. Hopefully we can find some grit if Joshua walks.

Lafferty is gone in free agency, methinks - hot start to the season, and a little bump in March, but way too many ineffectual games.

Priority 1 this off-season is jettisoning Mikheyev's contract somehow. We need the space and flexibility to deal with our other concerns.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think re-signing Zadorov is going to come down to a decision of keeping him or Soucy.

They cannot afford to commit that much salary to LD2 and LD3.

Priority 1 this off-season is jettisoning Mikheyev's contract somehow. We need the space and flexibility to deal with our other concerns.

A Mikheyev trade is going to be particularly onerous. It will cost picks or assets that the Canucks simply don’t have.

The most likely outcome is still a buyout—even if Dhaliwal says Vancouver doesn’t want to do that. They said the same thing about OEL last year, too.

The only other outcome I could see is if Vancouver chooses to trade Mikheyev for a player like Kotkaniemi where there is still potential upside but significant long-term risk.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think re-signing Zadorov is going to come down to a decision of keeping him or Soucy.

All depends on how you plan to deploy him. Canucks ran him as their third pairing guy with Cole most of the post-season. If that's the case, you simply can't commit his asking price and use him like that.

If you plan on him being on your second pairing, however, the price is a lot more palatable.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
These playoffs could be used to prioritize who to sign.

First off defence is harder to find than forwards.
A good example is this group essentially lost over 70 goals off the roster since the allstar break.
Moving Kuzmenko and Pettersson game taking a nose dive.
And still they went this far and not even with their Vezina candidate goalie.

So on defence in order of resigning
Zadorov, no dman had as much attention from the other side, played left side and right side and was the team's leading goal scorer. Hi priority to sign, I have posted 6-7 for 7 years with clause. That might not be enough now with what TO i likely to offer him.
Myers, paired with Soucy to face the two of the best players on the planet and held their own as much as any pairing in the league would. 3-4 for 3/4 years
Hronek, a good RHD for the easy season and was tasked with playing with Hughes a lot. In the easy season not so bad but not good enough to make up for Hughes not being able to handle the big boys so he had to and it wore him down. Can't have two little guys on one pairing. He might need to be sacrificed to keep others.
Cole, time has started catching up to him, the slowest dman on the roster, a one year deal maybe at 1 mil.

At forward
Joshua, but not at more than 3 mil. He is a journeyman that had a good 3/4 of a season. 3X4.
Lindholm, great a center and looked better than EP, but EPcan't be used as a comparison, his playoffs were so un EPish. 6X4 yrs.

A number of others will need to be dealt to keep the defence and Lindholm and Joshua.

The team showed that scoring was not Tocchet's first priority, from the all star break on he changed the system to tight low event hockey. Boeser had a GREAT playoff run, he does seem to be better then, but was out scored by Kuzmenko in the same number of games, scoring a 25 goal per year rate from the Allstar game on. The entire team scoring dropped like a rock but then maybe all that goal scoring also had to do with unrealistically high shooting percentages earlier on in the easy season. I think I posted that over 10% of the goals came in 5% of the games, or something like that.

I still think Boeser should be moves while the kettle is hot. There will be other cheaper, faster, bigger and younger players that fit Tocchet's board battle warrior style. And with his playoff play he will get a very good return.

If Garland decided to move on now I don't think he would have any trouble at all. But he might be a keeper now, he can drive a line by himself.

And now probably 3+ years of hearing "find a winger for Pettersson" or partner for Hughes.

Up to the draft it ought to be interesting.

I await the signing news and the draft for trade action, this is Rutherford/Allvin combo does make waves in the market.

I would not be upset with Zadorov making over 7 mil.
I could work out the cap hit for the defence squad to keep it pretty close to what it is now.

Hronek's 4.75, Myers' 6, Cole's 3 and Zadorov's 3.75. Added together, 17.5 mil.
Zadorov 7 mil
Myers 3.5 mil
Juulsen .9mil
Leaving almost 7 mil to replace Hronek or resign him BUT if he is traded then the return might bolster the forward group and there are 30 large humans that play defence on the market this year.

The team also has to start hunting down replacements for Pettersson and JTMiller very soon. EP isn't in that inexperienced "young" core anymore. True still only 26 next season but in his 7/8th year since drafted. It took Miller over 4 years for him to establish himself. The Canucks don't have many high end top six prospects. They do have a few middle six guys.

Great and surprising season, I truly expected a one and done.
I hope this isn't a replay of Seattle but they will/could be hard pressed to improve the results of this season.
Paying 7M a year to a defender that gets 20 points a season and plays 19 minutes a game would be absolutely f***en bonkers. In your post you admitted he played 3rd pairing. He's lucky if he gets 5M a year.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

A Mikheyev trade is going to be particularly onerous. It will cost picks or assets that the Canucks simply don’t have.

The most likely outcome is still a buyout—even if Dhaliwal says Vancouver doesn’t want to do that. They said the same thing about OEL last year, too.

The only other outcome I could see is if Vancouver chooses to trade Mikheyev for a player like Kotkaniemi where there is still potential upside but significant long-term risk.

Franchise needs to keep their assets.

Potentially near 6-7 mil of dead cap for 25/26 and 26/27 is a massive killer.

Kotkaniemi flat out sucks.

We can discuss many solutions when it comes to Mikheyev but the harsh reality is we are likely stuck with him. If you want to make a point you can maybe bury him in the AHL which saves us about 1,150,000.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
My hunch is that we sign only one of our big three pending UFAs - Lindholm, Zadorov, Joshua.

I would guess we retain Myers and let Cole go.

And I think we pursue some other pieces in free agency.

Just my guess.
I think they make a run for Lindholm but he is a FA and might want to go home to Calgary, he will also be 30 yr old at the start of any contract and I don't think I team like the Islanders is the type of team that is too successful, the window is shortened.
Zadorov, defence is different especially for big guys, they are useful much longer. He should be priority one, try to get him signed before July 1 even if it 7X8.
Myers at 34 still has game but a shorter lifespan, up to 4 X 3 with signing bonus AND he wants to stay here so maybe 3.5 X 4 or something like that.
Both of those guys have been durable.
To me it comes down to whether you keep Hronek or Lindholm, and what the subsequent trade value of Hronek is if you go in that direction, because that will largely dictate what you're looking to address. I like the three-deep centre setup we have currently, but you probably take a bigger hit on defense if you go in that direction.

If all our free agents use the playoffs as leverage on contracts we're in trouble because we cannot afford many of these guys at market value. For example, if Hronek and Lindholm both still think they're worth $7.5-8M AAV and we lose both we're pretty screwed. Then if Zadorov is stuck on 6x6 and Joshua thinks he can get 4x4ish ... yikes man.

There's a scenario where you're looking for a new Hughes partner, a new second-pair RSD, a new 3C, and building a second line around Pettersson. The return on Hronek had better be significant, and you better find some value in free agency.
Hronek might be the largest asset the team has to trade, he would certainly be wanted by several teams and there are some that will want him. IMO make a deal with Utah before Utah make Zadorov an offer that can't be met.
In FA there are 31 defencemen over 6'3" that are UFAs and another 31 that are RFA's 10.2c's.
Plus what might be traded for.
I would be surprised if they don't take a run at signing Lindholm and Zadorov before July 1st. They'll need to trade Hronek's rights or dump Mikheyev's contract in order to do so.
Agree, but not too long or too much for another 30yr old player in Lindholm.
Hronek will get a good return.
Zadorov should get close to Hughes type money 6.5-7ish
Mikheyev could be bought out but that is trading on tomorrows cap and they have done that already.
This really feels like 2006-2008 again where we were waiting for guys like Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Edler and Hansen to either further develop or make their way onto the roster. It would be massive if we had a bumper crop of youth contribute at a low cap hit during the OEL dead cap years. Part of me is optimistic and hopes we avoid any lengthy term deals to the older UFA's, but another part of me knows Miller isn't getting any younger.
IMO there are 5 prospects that can meet Tocchet's board battler guys and save some cap space, they need 5 for next year. Aman, Podkolzin, Karlsson,
Gone will be Lafferty, Suter, Blueger maybe.
I think the forward group will look much different next year.
I think the entire group could look different next year or at least 5 or 6 new faces.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
19-20 after the bubble. Benning could sign 2 out of the 3.
Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom. In terms of need back then it should have went in that order.

This year Lindholm, Myers, Hronek, Zadorov and you can only sign 3 to of 4. In terms of order this time it should be Hronek, Myers, Zadorov, Lindholm. They need a right side top pair defender, they need a right side 2nd pair defender. They could use some size and toughness on the left side of defence.

Pius Suter is playing in the top 6. Do they really need to spend money on another center if Suter, Hoglander and Mikheyev are in the top 6?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Paying 7M a year to a defender that gets 20 points a season and plays 19 minutes a game would be absolutely f***en bonkers. In your post you admitted he played 3rd pairing. He's lucky if he gets 5M a year.
The Edmonton Oilers commented many, many times "that defence is hard to get around, they are huge" talking about Hughes? Hronek? You know sometimes playing defence is about playing defence. How much PP time did Zadorov get or Soucy or Myers? Yet they all out scored Hughes 5 on 5 in the real season.
You don't build a team just for entertainment, for that there is wrestling. The goal of this team is to be better and a cup contender.
When two of the best players in the word are complimenting the Canuck huge defence and how hard is to get past them do you really think they are talking about Hughes?
You build a cup contender, size matters and when a player attracts that much attention and the other team tries to keep their best players away from him that isn't worth something? And he is 28 yrs old, he has another 7 good years left in him.
Did you not think or realize he was the only defenceman that was shuttled all over, playing with Hughes mostly when trying to keep a lead. Versitile. And he out scored Hughes in the playoffs 5 on 5 but then so did Soucy and Myers the other large humans.
You paying him 7 mil jut means he is now top 4 defence maybe even a top two. That is what is ranked now in the league by CF.
His game didn't evaporate, neither did his scoring if anything it went up in the playoffs. Your hate for him isn't justified.
And what do you think 7 mil will be in 3 more years when the cap hits over 100 mil? Average for a top 4 dman, hell Hronek wants 8 mil now.

Just to add Chara didn't get many points until he was put on the PP regularly. Not that Zadorov is Chara 2.0 but he is Zadorov, big Z.

Last edited:

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
All depends on how you plan to deploy him. Canucks ran him as their third pairing guy with Cole most of the post-season. If that's the case, you simply can't commit his asking price and use him like that.

If you plan on him being on your second pairing, however, the price is a lot more palatable.
he logged 3rd most minutes in the post season. 3rd total, 3rd ES, 3rd SH. He's a 2nd pair defender all day long IMO.

we have $26.25 MM in cap space $31MM if we can jettison Mikheyev.

Hughes-Tanev
Zadorov - Chatfield
Soucy - Myers
Juulsen

Running with this D probably eats up $16MM (5+5+3.25+2.75)

Reactions: theguardianII

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The Edmonton Oilers commented many, many times "that defence is hard to get around, they are huge" talking about Hughes? Hronek? You know sometimes playing defence is about playing defence. How much PP time did Zadorov get or Soucy or Myers? Yet they all out scored Hughes 5 on 5 in the real season.
You don't build a team just for entertainment, for that there is wrestling. The goal of this team is to be better and a cup contender.
When two of the best players in the word are complimenting the Canuck huge defence and how hard is to get past them do you really think they are talking about Hughes?
You build a cup contender, size matters and when a player attracts that much attention and the other team tries to keep their best players away from him that isn't worth something? And he is 28 yrs old, he has another 7 good years left in him.
Did you not think or realize he was the only defenceman that was shuttled all over, playing with Hughes mostly when trying to keep a lead. Versitile. And he out scored Hughes in the playoffs 5 on 5 but then so did Soucy and Myers the other large humans.
You paying him 7 mil jut means he is now top 4 defence maybe even a top two. That is what is ranked now in the league by CF.
His game didn't evaporate, neither did his scoring if anything it went up in the playoffs. Your hate for him isn't justified.
And what do you think 7 mil will be in 3 more years when the cap hits over 100 mil? Average for a top 4 dman, hell Hronek wants 8 mil now.
Do you think the Canucks make the playoffs with Myers, Zadarov, Soucy as their top 3 D?

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad