Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Cody Ceci signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.25M)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Your defense has Cody Ceci on it, it is not better.

Kapanen is good player but if he can't play in your top 6 that's a bad deal and it's not like he never got his chance with Matthews and Tavares he did, it didn't work so I'm not convinced it works with Crosby or Malkin

Our defense had Jack Johnson and the corpse of Justin Schultz on it last year and the Pens still managed to finish 5th in the conference. I watch enough Leaf games to know that, as limited as Ceci is, he's not worse than Johnson, and he's not worse than whoever that imposter was wearing Schultz's jersey last season.

Considering who he's replacing, then yes, the defense is improved.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I had very low expectations for Ceci heading into last season and he actually wasn't half bad to start the year, but the more you watch him and the more opportunities he gets with the puck on his stick you realize he just isn't an NHL caliber Dman. IMO he's nothing more than a depth #7 or #8 guy in case a team has injuries. He can eat up decent minutes on the pk but other than that his overall usage last season was clearly too much for him to handle.

Maybe he can be better than JJ? I'm hoping Bogosian can offer more than what Ceci did and thats not saying much.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It all depends on what you want really.

Do you like dmen who dont give up goals while on the ice? Statistically, that was Ceci this year. He was actually one of the best dmen in the NHL at not giving up goals while on the ice for his team. Do you also like dmen who kill your offence? That was also Ceci this year. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess but, played correctly, hes a great bottom pairing guy and excellent PKer who can also move up the lineup in a pinch in case of injury.

Somehow was legitimately more useful to the Leafs than Tyson Barrie was this year and I dont think anyone would have thought that at the start of the season.

Its why Ceci started even the post season on the top pair while Barrie was the Leafs #6.

Cant really compare Ceci to JJ or Bogosian though. Cecis defensive numbers were insanely better than both those players.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Ceci might be the worst defenseman in the NHL. Just when you think Rutherford has fixed the Penguins defense by shipping Johnson, he pulls this off...:facepalm:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not thrilled with the signing, dont hate it either. Hes a serviceable bottom pairing right shot defenseman.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Your defense has Cody Ceci on it, it is not better.

Kapanen is good player but if he can't play in your top 6 that's a bad deal and it's not like he never got his chance with Matthews and Tavares he did, it didn't work so I'm not convinced it works with Crosby or Malkin

Matthew’s and Tavares are great players but they are different than Crosby and malkin. Matthew’s and Tavares shoot more (almost 100 more shots last full season then either Crosby and malkin). they focus more are play making. So I could see Kapanen working like Dupuis did with Crosby.

Reactions: ownal

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
You passed on Stanley Cup Champion Rutta for Ceci? WTH Penguins????

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He’s getting paid like a 6/7 D, and he’s a perfectly serviceable 6/7 D. People think he’s terrible because he’s often been played in the top 4, where he doesn’t belong, but if the Pens keep him to a 6/7 D role, he’ll be fine.

Not when the other third pairing guy is Mike friggin' Matheson.

JR is just slinging shit at the wall and hoping something sticks. We've fully moved onto the dysentery stage of JR's franchise building strategy.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Weird. Pittsburgh will likely turn his career around though.

I'm guessing, if you really believe that, you might be part of the Pens braintrust. Because at this point, after Matt Hunwick, Oleksiak, Jack Johnson, and Gudbranson, they must be the only people who think this is going to end well. This supposed "magic touch" with down-on-their-luck D men is long long gone. Did great with Daley, did good with Schultz and Hainsey. That was 3 years ago now.

Not needed, not wanted, and I was annoyed enough at having another very expensive "project" in Matheson. I'm sure we're going to see Ceci play over Riikola, Ruhwedel, and POJ. I would've rather had the cap space to make moves when the season gets underway.

Absolutely dumb and pointless. But Rutherford just cant help but think he's the smartest man in the room with his "bargain finds".

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd love to see what Ceci could do under Trotz's system. I bet Lou is waiting till Ceci is available on the market cheaper.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Ceci isn't bad. He was just severely overpaid. He's fine at this contract and he's an ok 6-7 guy.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
God f***ing damn it! Hey Mario, this is f***ing on you. Get this old moron out of the god damn GM job. JFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad