Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Cody Ceci signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.25M)

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Low risk and cheap bottom pair RHD. Ceci is young enough that he could stabilize his game with the Pens, if not he is easily waived or benched.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Along as your coach doesn't have a hard on for him and he plays bottom pair this will be a fine deal, problem in TO is he was playing some heavy minutes for us and hes simply not good enough to do so.

He became the Leafs whipping boy fast, hopefully for the Penguins sake Sullivan deploys him correctly.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hell be fine on the bottom pairing with appropriate usage. Will still make from time to time an odd play that will be insanely frustrating so be warned

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Along as your coach doesn't have a hard on for him and he plays bottom pair this will be a fine deal, problem in TO is he was playing some heavy minutes for us and hes simply not good enough to do so.

He became the Leafs whipping boy fast, hopefully for the Penguins sake Sullivan deploys him correctly.

JR was thinking ahead by acquiring Matheson. That way the fans already have a whipping boy instead of Ceci.

Reactions: DRAGO 18 and Kelly

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
People get really hyperbolic with certain players. Ceci is a great option for the bottom pairing and maybe the 2nd PK. He can't handle the puck to save his life, and don't get him caught on the ice against big lines and he'll do fine. This is a decent move.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Rutherford is awful. The back to back Cups are blurring the facts, but the reality is a roster with Crosby and Malkin on it should have at least 3 Cups. He has made a few nice moves but his overall body of work throughout his entire NHL history is dog shit. I feel so bad for Pens fans, they could be winning/ seriously competing for more Cups rn.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
even if that were true and it can't be he's still not the best option when Hamonic and Vatanen exist

Are those 2 going to take 1 mill to play on the 3rd pairing? Why would they do that when they can find a team who will give them 20 minutes with higher pay

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
People get really hyperbolic with certain players. Ceci is a great option for the bottom pairing and maybe the 2nd PK. He can't handle the puck to save his life, and don't get him caught on the ice against big lines and he'll do fine. This is a decent move.

I wouldn't say "great". He is just a warm body, really not sure why he was playing with Rielly in Toronto. Most 5th/6th/7th D are just warm bodies, basically. If they can provide you some ok minutes, especially on the PK, you'll take it. When they get put higher in the lineup, they get crucified and it's not their fault.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
For that money, a very good signing. He played for Ottawa and Toronto and they both suck, so there is no fair assessment yet. He is only 26. He has size, he can shoot the puck, he shoots right, he has that draft pedigree. Could be the steal of the Frenzy for the Pens.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He had the lowest turnovers/60 of all Toronto D, the lowest GA/60 of all Toronto D, and the highest quality of competition.

He may not be a great top 4 option, but the pucks just seemed to stay out of the net all season when he was on the ice despite playing the tough minutes. Thats a useful NHL d man.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
He had the lowest turnovers because he was paired with rielly and dermott who can skate the puck out of the zone.

He's okay as a bottom 4 defenseman especially if he has a good transitional partner. He tends to hug players in the corners. He had better underlying numbers in toronto than ottawa because his role was simpler and was not expected to do everything and was not used to clear the front of the net as much.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Some of the more reasonable Leaf fans here give me hope that he will be just an adequate #6 or 7 and its only for 1 year so if he sucks bad enough he just waive him

On the other hand, I still have PTSD from watching the Johnson-Schultz pairing and this is giving me an anxiety attack

Sep 18, 2009
Some of the more reasonable Leaf fans here give me hope that he will be just an adequate #6 or 7 and its only for 1 year so if he sucks bad enough he just waive him

On the other hand, I still have PTSD from watching the Johnson-Schultz pairing and this is giving me an anxiety attack

You've seen nothing yet...

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

I mean there's your bright side basically

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

We don't have to worry about that. Letang and Marino are 1-2 on the Pens defense. Some will say Dumoulin but the way Marino played last year was better than Dumoulin. I see no chance that Sullivan will play Ceci over either of them. I think the only question is if he decides to go Matheson-Marino or Pettersson-Marino. Ceci will get the the loser of that battle.

Letang plays 25+ minutes a night and Marino will play 20+ minutes a night so Ceci only will need to play 14 minutes a night. I actually love all the moves Rutherford has made this summer. Rutherford was told to cut the real money payroll to under $75 million and he did that while still making the team younger, faster, more skilled, and just better overall. When you look at this Pens team compared to what the Pens opened with last year it is not even close. Kapanen and Zucker are the other wingers with Guentzel and Rust. They replace Simon and Galchenyk how started in those spots to start last season. That is a huge improvement in the top 6. Also getting Jankowski to replace Bjugstad our starting 3C who only played 10 games last year and was never right even in those games. Matheson is a huge improvement over JJ and Ceci can only be an improvement over Schultz who was by far our worst defenseman last year.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He was always a polarizing part of our blue line. He was decent positionally and was one of the few people on the roster not afraid to throw his body around but he was an offensive black hole and didn’t have adequate NHL skating to win a foot race. I guess I wouldn’t hate him at under 2 million. He’s probably an improvement on JJ or at least a side grade for less money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->