Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Cody Ceci signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.25M)

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I disagree - I think people have a negative perception of him because he was overpaid and as a result thrust into a top-4 role. If he was playing 3rd pair at this money last year, folks wouldn't mind him I think.

At no point did I ever trust him on the ice. Ya the contract was bad, but his play was worse. Him and Marincin were 2 players I didn't ever want on the ice.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
People saying he's not NHL quality are out to lunch. Her a great player for 1.25 million.

He's unspectacular. But fairly reliable. People are only down on him because he was overpaid in Toronto, the worst possible sin for your PR.

He wasn't very good here.

Reactions: Morrison

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't know what Pittsburgh is doing.

In the last 8 months Pittsburgh was traded 2 1st round picks, Callen Addsion, Philip Hallinder, Patrick Hornquvistand brought in.

Zucker who to be fair seemed like he's was working there, Kapanen who I like but is strictly a 3rd liner, Mathason who Florida fans didn't seem to like and now they signed Cody Ceci who is awful.

Pittsburgh is going the wrong way you still got Crosby and Malkin so the crash is a couple years away but when it comes it's going to be a LONG LONG LONG climb back

In six years on the job, he's traded six first round picks.

Reactions: Lustaf and Morrison

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The prices were steep, but it's clear the Pens upgraded their forward talent/depth with the Zucker and Kapanen acquisitions. And on defense, they essentially swapped Johnson and Schultz for Matheson and Ceci. Whether that's an upgrade, downgrade, or remain the same is still to be determined.

But I'm not sure why it's difficult to see what JR is attempting to do. He's trying to improve the areas where the Pens were weak (lack of scoring depth, lack of mobility/puck moving on the blueline). The question is more about whether he's picked up the right pieces to achieve that.

Your defense has Cody Ceci on it, it is not better.

Kapanen is good player but if he can't play in your top 6 that's a bad deal and it's not like he never got his chance with Matthews and Tavares he did, it didn't work so I'm not convinced it works with Crosby or Malkin

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Count me in the he isn’t as bad as people are saying group.
Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t have wanted him back. Even at league minimum.
But in a sheltered roll maybe Pittsburg can get something out of him. If not it one year at a salary that won’t be hard to get rid of.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ceci was playing on average just over 20 minutes on the season, injuries on Toronto’s blueline contributed to that.

Ceci shouldn’t be getting near 20 minutes a game in Pittsburgh.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A bottom pairing Dman signs for one year, 1.25M, and people think this is important?

Reactions: Riptide

Pensfan891

Jan 17, 2016
8e90da9583f7e97d37f5491dec2accfa46-Northwestern-Crying-Fan.rsquare.w700.jpg

Reactions: Morrison

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People saying he's not NHL quality are out to lunch. Her a great player for 1.25 million.

He's unspectacular. But fairly reliable. People are only down on him because he was overpaid in Toronto, the worst possible sin for your PR.

Yes, it's all Toronto's fault Ottawa qualified him for $4.5 million and we took him back in a Zaitsev cap dump.

Best of luck to Ceci in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Yikes. Pittsburgh wants to be a lottery team I guess. Ceci is brutal on the backend and handles the puck like a grenade when pressured.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Now is the chance for GM's around the league. Call JR and tell him you've got a defenseman taken early in the draft and he'll take him.
Just don't mention which draft year....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad