Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Cody Ceci signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.25M)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Found a picture of Ceci

zamboni explodes.jpg

Reactions: BHD

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
As a rotating #6 with Ruhwedel I don't hate it, I just had no interest seeing Ruhwedel play 82 games plus playoffs, so there's that, also he's cheap and on a one year deal so whatevs.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He's a good #6.

He was playing top pair in TO for some reason.

He was pretty much the only option to play with Rielly. Both Muzzin and Rielly were uncomfortable playing the right side, Barrie had a disaster of a season no matter who he was playing with and Holl never really meshed with Barrie but had amazing chemistry with Muzzin....the problem with Ceci of course is that he was useless past the redline and killed plays way too often. That doesnt change the fact that when it comes to goals against, Ceci has amazing defensive REL numbers in the league 5v5 and was on one of the top PK pairings in the league with Muzzin. Solid signing at that caphit for the Pens as long as they play him defensively.

Reactions: qqaz

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Ceci is going to play pike 15-17 minutes a night for the Penguins, but you already have Penguins fans running for the Fort Pitt Bridge to jump off of it :laugh:

One of the whiniest fanbases in hockey. Oh no, the Penguins signed a #6 defenseman for a #6 defenseman price, and will use him like a #6 defenseman? Guess that means all improvements they made this off-season are thrown out the window.
We already had a couple of those already signed in Ruh and Riikola... This seems redundant at best...

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
To be fair your team is in win now mode. Who needs 25th OA picks anyway, you likely are getting a better player each time in exchange for the pick.

I agree to an extent. Those picks ended up being Barzal, Steel, Kostin, K'andre Miller, Amirov, TBD. Would've been nice to keep that Barzal pick at least.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ceci at any price will make any NHL team worse. I wouldn't want him back on the leafs for free. He's an AHL guy and there's nothing wrong with that. He just shouldn't be on any teams big club.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I agree to an extent. Those picks ended up being Barzal, Steel, Kostin, K'andre Miller, Amirov, TBD. Would've been nice to keep that Barzal pick at least.

Always an unfair analysis I suppose. Really depends on who YOUR team was going to take at the time. So I don't look at it that way. Who are the 6 players you got for those 1st picks though?? (Do any of those guys have a cup ring??!!)

Also in regards to this thread.

JJ, Ceci, and players like him who do defence first defensemen, are the players fans hate the most, because everyone likes counting points. No one really knows how to count defensive skill.

Sometimes these guys get overpaid, and thus the hate grows.

Mark Stuart in Detroit was a Def. Defenceman and he was great for us. BUT we were a winning team.
So Defensive D men usually look good when they are on good teams.
And when they are on teams like Toronto (all offence) and Ottawa (Just bad) and Pittsburgh (all offence)... Well they tend to look worse.

I kinda feel the hate on this guy is overblown. Obviously I think paying any defensive D man 3-4-5M is too much. But JJ and Ceci at just over 1M. I think these guys will do just fine.

IMO there is also something to be said for a "Defensive D man built like Bouwmeester" is better in todays game than a D man like Zadorov?? Kinda feels like Ceci and JJ are more like Zadorov versions just without such awesome hits (Big, strong D men vs good skating ones)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jim Rutherford is going to make the hall of fame even though he is an objectively terrible general manager.

Reactions: crab

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Yes, it's all Toronto's fault Ottawa qualified him for $4.5 million and we took him back in a Zaitsev cap dump.

Best of luck to Ceci in Pittsburgh.

I think you misunderstood.

I never pointed blame. It was a great trade for Toronto. But the fact is nothing is worse for someone's perceived worth than to be overpaid while playing for the Leafs.

People think "Ceci sucks" because the Toronto fanbase and media will never get off an overpaid player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad