Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Cody Ceci signs with the Penguins (1 year, $1.25M)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
and just when Penguins fans spent all week telling us how much trouble we were in with JJ. How the turntables.

I mean it's not much of a consolation, but JJ is way worse than Ceci.

Ceci stinks but he's more in line with "washed up version of Schultz" level stink than "JJ" stink.

I don't know if Ceci's charts will have changed much in the year since that was posted, McCurdy said he's not going to post Ceci's charts until later.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Great signing by the Pens. Getting a serviceable bottom pairing D for that cap is a very good move. Isn’t this the guy Dubas said (in his year and presser) had really good team specific underlying numbers?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Your defense has Cody Ceci on it, it is not better.

Kapanen is good player but if he can't play in your top 6 that's a bad deal and it's not like he never got his chance with Matthews and Tavares he did, it didn't work so I'm not convinced it works with Crosby or Malkin

I'm not saying he's going to work out there, but your take doesn't make sense. Crosby/Malkin have shown all their career to improving their line-mates regardless if they're 3rd line players. Matthews/Tavares isn't comparable

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ceci is terrible. AHL quality

Then Ruhwedel will beat him out of the 3RD spot and all it's going to cost us is around 150k on the cap (unless someone else claims him off of waivers). There's not a lot of downside here.

I haven't watched enough of Ceci's game, but all we need him to be able to do is babysit Matheson a little bit, or be Pettersson's partner and not suck. The bar isn't all that high here... and we have an excellent #7 in Ruhwedel if Ceci does suck. Pretty low risk signing big picture.

Really? The Penguins just sent a 5 mil version of him packing.

JJ cost 3.25m. But the difference is Ceci is a RHS vs JJ being an expensive 4LD.

Reactions: LRS87

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens wanted a RH shot and D man and simply didn't have the cap room for anyone to be a top 4 player. But he brings an NHL D man on the 3rd pairing and will compete for that position. He is depth and brings experience to the team. Yes he is not highly regarded and was not really good enough as a higher pairing possibility in Toronto but at a one year deal the risk is simply fine. If he stinks, he is gone to AHL or gone.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He’s getting paid like a 6/7 D, and he’s a perfectly serviceable 6/7 D. People think he’s terrible because he’s often been played in the top 4, where he doesn’t belong, but if the Pens keep him to a 6/7 D role, he’ll be fine.

He's going to be behind Letang and Marino on RD. On LD we have Dumoulin, Pettersson and Matheson. Not quite sure what we're going to get out of MM, but the others are all easily capable of playing 18-25 minutes a night (especially the top 3)... meaning Ceci is definitely going to be in that 6D role. And if he struggles we have Ruhwedel who can easily handle that role.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I laugh when Leaf fans talk bad about Ceci.
Is he a bottom pairing defenseman? Yes.
Is it his fault that management that had cap issues decided to pay him over $4 million when they could’ve let him go and signed a similar player for $1M? No
Is it his fault that the management continues to “NOT” address the defense situation and plays bottom pairing defensemen like him Holl, Gardiner Dermott Etc Etc etc in the top four or even the top pairing for decades and not a dressing the situation? No
Do Leaf fans continue to support the incapable management that struggles to manage assets year in and year out, knowing that management knows that fans will continue to blame the bad defense And not the management that built the team? Yes.
Will the fans continue to blame a goalie that gets hung out to dry like the last one and the one before that because of terrible defense that can occasionally lift them out of their seat with a nice offensive play while putting themselves out of position and create turnovers where the goalie gets blamed? Yes.
*** pens fans****This is a good depth signing, but if he plays on the top pairing and or even middle pairing and can’t handle the job, don’t blame the defenseman who was put into a position above his head or pay grade, blame the management not the player.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I mean it's not much of a consolation, but JJ is way worse than Ceci.

Ceci stinks but he's more in line with "washed up version of Schultz" level stink than "JJ" stink.

I don't know if Ceci's charts will have changed much in the year since that was posted, McCurdy said he's not going to post Ceci's charts until later.

Tbf ceci plays really hard competition the last couple years. Hes a decent 3ed pairing dman and I wouldn't have mind the deal Pitts signed him to back for Toronto. Hits a pretty well, good size and a decent skater.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How are the Penguins going to replace Jack Johnson's gaffes and brainfarts? By Committee!!!

I'm fully convinced that if they really try, Matheson and Ceci can easily pick up that slack.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, as someone mentioned usage above, I'm actually curious to see how Ceci does in sheltered usage, which is how I imagine he'd be used in a D pair with Matheson. He hasn't exactly been "sheltered" on his teams in the past:

19-20 Leafs:
wDTwPYb.png

18-19 Sens:
LHUWmY3.png

17-18 Sens:
ACubnpE.png

I'm skeptical giving him easier minutes will improve results that much, because I've read studies that QoC isn't really related to analytics that much (or at least QoT matters more), but it's interesting to see if him being used in an easier role helps at all. He was used on his team's top shutdown pair for a long time, and he's just not capable of playing those minutes.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He's not an NHLer but good luck!

So two different teams over the past 4 years played him 20+ minutes a night but he is not an NHLer? Seems like hyperbole to me. You can say he really shouldn't play the amount of minutes he has but over his career he consistently has been given top 4 minutes. So putting him on our 3rd pairing behind Letang 25+ minutes a night and Marino 20+ minutes a night leaves Ceci with only 14 minutes a night and change. That is a big reduction in what he has done over his years in the league. I am willing to bet Ceci will handle those sheltered minutes much better than the 20-23 minutes a night he has been doing over his past 4 years.

Plus the fans and outlets that say Ruhwedel is just as good or better are ridiculous. Ruhwedel has never been an NHL regular and is 29 years old and has never came close to playing 20 minutes a night. Ceci has been averaging over 20+ minutes a night for years and is 26. Ceci might not be a stud but he definitely is an improvement over Schultz who was literally our worse defenseman last year. I still can't believe the Caps gave Schultz $4 million a year. All take Ceci at $1.25 million over Schultz any day even if Schultz could be on the Pens for $700,000. Pens have definitely upgraded the defense with Matheson and Ceci compared to JJ-Schultz.

Reactions: BinCookin

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
K.

1 year deal - he turns it around and goes on to make more money than we'd like to pay or he sticks around for cheap. Exactly what you should do with your bottom pair and your 4th line.......NOT bring in a wishful reclamation with 5 years on his deal....or SIGN a wishful reclamation to 5 years. No reason to cry over this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->