Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
True, he did turn down the role before. But he's 30 now, his brother's gone, and he hasn't seen the playoffs in 6 years. Might change his perspective.

Yeah, maybe. Guess we'll see.

Mildly surprised, given the interest in O'Reilly, there's been no rumours about teams targeting Staal.

I want Brassard (with a minor +) for Faksa.

Assuming Dallas doesn't sign Tavares, I think they would want a more offensely skilled center than Faksa and they already have Janmark or Shore to play 3C. I do not think the Stars trust Hanzal's health and Spezza has declining production.

Faksa is nice but he ain't big game. So no dice.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I feel like his name would at least show up occasionally in the rumor mill (outside still-heartbroken Penguins fans fantasies) were that true. He seems pretty content where he's at. As does Carolina's FO.

You'd think maybe he'd want to win something again someday. But it doesn't drive everyone. Maybe he values stability both professionally and privately more than wins and Cups.

Very possible, I'm just outlining why his outlook might have changed. A scoring line role in Carolina probably doesn't look as rosy now as it did back then.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
But again... I really don't see Staal taking that kind of backseat role, again. It was probably the biggest reason he left the first time around.

I don't think Staal liked Pittsburgh even half as much as Pittsburgh STILL seems to love him...
I lived in Thunder Bay for a few years as a youmg adult. I've also spent some time in Raleigh. Pittsburgh has both of them beat.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Very possible, I'm just outlining why his outlook might have changed. A scoring line role in Carolina probably doesn't look as rosy now as it did back then.

Hrm. Keep on dreaming that dream, I suppose. As a strictly 3C... he'd be tough to beat in that role. If I ever heard the term "Staalkin" brought up again though I'd probably snap.

On a related note, we're finally just now here in 2018 at the point where his contract doesn't look putrid. So... he's got that going for him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hrm. Keep on dreaming that dream, I suppose. As a strictly 3C... he'd be tough to beat in that role. If I ever heard the term "Staalkin" brought up again though I'd probably snap.

On a related note, we're finally just now here in 2018 at the point where his contract doesn't look putrid. So... he's got that going for him.

Well I don't think it's likely at all, but that's reflective to how unlikely I think it would be to find a deal that would make it worthwhile to trade a center like Brass making 3 mil per.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Brassard was never a good fit in Pittsburgh to begin with in my opinion. I think he should be traded.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Brassard + Jarry for Skinner. Assuming a contract extension we can live with for Skinner.

How much does that appeal to people? The value seems roughly fair but I think it probably creates a bigger gap than it patches.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Brassard was never a good fit in Pittsburgh to begin with in my opinion. I think he should be traded.

I also have that FEELING.

But I think it's worth finding out for sure. He didn't have much time or health to prove much of anything. If Brass can be the player he's shown in the past, his value to THIS team is arguably higher than most anything you could trade him for outside of a massive coup.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I also have that FEELING.

But I think it's worth finding out for sure. He didn't have much time or health to prove much of anything. If Brass can be the player he's shown in the past, his value to THIS team is arguably higher than most anything you could trade him for outside of a massive coup.

Yeah if hes not workimg out during the season then they can trade. No reason right now.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I mean, if that's his belief, that's fine. I just wish when people made statements like that, they'd add a "why" rather than just say it and leave.

I think he's not an ideal fit here because we can't really utilize his offensive skill, considering we have two more offensively skilled centers. So he probably has more value to Montreal than to us, so if we could get a guy like Danault back with more control, probably a similar or lesser cap hit than Brass this year, then maybe it makes sense.

But I don't see the point of that kind of fiddling. I'd think it's something bigger and more inventive from JR with multiple moving parts if Brass is being sent out.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Brassard only played for the pens in 14 regular season games, and 12 playoff games so far. I'd like to see the pens give him more time since he came over from the Senators. If they believe in Simon; they should believe in Brassard.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does Montréal even spend to the cap? His biggest value point, his cap hit, would only matter to teams that do.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Brassard only played for the pens in 14 regular season games, and 12 playoff games so far. I'd like to see the pens give him more time since he came over from the Senators. If they believe in Simon; they should believe in Brassard.

Well, apples and oranges here. One of those two has significant trade value around the NHL. One of those two plays behind Crosby and Malkin and cannot get on the first PP unit, and one of those two is on an expiring contract looking to cash in with a career year in 2018-19.

Simon is a cheap Sheary replacement.

For me, the issue with Brassard has more to do with what he wants/needs from the team than what we want/need from him. I am not saying he will dog it because he will play a limited role here, but why minimize somebody's value when you can maximize it via trade?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Brassard + Jarry for Skinner. Assuming a contract extension we can live with for Skinner.

How much does that appeal to people? The value seems roughly fair but I think it probably creates a bigger gap than it patches.

Definitely. But I think any Brassard proposal that doesn't see us get a good 3C in return does.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Definitely. But I think any Brassard proposal that doesn't see us get a good 3C in return does.

Yeah, it's kind of weird after all the drama we went through last year with folks crying about JR not addressing the 3C spot, we now have folks fine with moving on from Brassard without a 3C replacement (and I don't mean a bad 3C replacement like Rowney/McKegg/etc.).

Reactions: Tweed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad