Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
People are overstating how important having Brassard is to this roster and how immediately you'd need to get a centre back. It's awesome having him here but you could win it with a Sheahan as 3C and you could then get another Sheahan-esque 3C from another team. It doesn't have to be part of the original trade.

It's awesome enough that I wouldn't move him for anything other than a big game target who can be here long term. But if that came up, no regrets or hesitations in moving him.

Probably the fact all his career numbers are of a 2C.

Not to say he can't play 3C. Just his talent level is equal to the average 2C around the league.
Now that I think about it, we may not even need to get a C from an outside source. Come Spring, Blueger, Angello, and Olund could all be fighting for that 4C spot.

ETA: or maybe Cullen signs with us in December. :laugh:

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I could see it if someone wanted him as a 2C (which he really is), and was willing to pay us a premium for it. I kind of think he might not be a fit here, and he's only got the one year left. If we can get a better "fit" 3C out of it with some ++, or acquire assets to get that player, I'm all for it.

He doesn’t seem to fit here. This always gets the Brassard brigade going with the injury excuses. Thing is, even if he does fit here - you going to give him ROR money next off season?

Brassard is coming up on the contract that he needs to feed his family with for the rest of his life. He’s not going to be anywhere near 3 million again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Now that I think about it, we may not even need to get a C from an outside source. Come Spring, Blueger, Angello, and Olund could all be fighting for that 4C spot.

I'd rather not gamble on that, particularly with a first year pro and first year in NA guy. In a scenario where you trade Brassard and don't get your new C before season start (not ideal to begin with), the hunt should continue unless one of them comes screaming out of the blocks and demands it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don't doubt Montreal covets Brassard but I also don't think there is much on their roster that helps the Penguins enough to justify a trade. Patches is a good player but I would rather have Skinner.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Blueger is in the wings here and is on the come. Maybe he is here next year to play center probably 4th line at first. But if he is impressive in camp, why not move Brassard for assets that help now or prospects and picks.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I don't doubt Montreal covets Brassard but I also don't think there is much on their roster that helps the Penguins enough to justify a trade. Patches is a good player but I would rather have Skinner.

Might not be roster players as a return. Picks and prospects going somewhere else for another team's roster player(s). I could see JR wheelin' and dealin' given the atmosphere.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
People are overstating how important having Brassard is to this roster and how immediately you'd need to get a centre back. It's awesome having him here but you could win it with a Sheahan as 3C and you could then get another Sheahan-esque 3C from another team. It doesn't have to be part of the original trade.

It's awesome enough that I wouldn't move him for anything other than a big game target who can be here long term. But if that came up, no regrets or hesitations in moving him.

Probably the fact all his career numbers are of a 2C.

Not to say he can't play 3C. Just his talent level is equal to the average 2C around the league.
Jordan Staal as a 3C was a big part of our 3rd Cup win. He goes to Carolina and is now a 1C.
The going theme in the NHL seems to be depth at C.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Blueger is in the wings here and is on the come. Maybe he is here next year to play center probably 4th line at first. But if he is impressive in camp, why not move Brassard for assets that help now or prospects and picks.

Blueger hasn’t played an NHL game yet. If Brassard is being traded it’s to get a bigger piece that has played in the NHL at a high level

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jordan Staal as a 3C was a big part of our 3rd Cup win. He goes to Carolina and is now a 1C.
The going theme in the NHL seems to be depth at C.

Its great but its not the only way to skin a cat.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Unless you are putting a guy like Rust on the 4th line. Blueger, who has never played an NHL game, is going to be centering 2 other players with LIMITED NHL experience.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Don’t really want Pacioretty, he’s gonna want a lot of money. Not totally closed off to it, but I like other options more.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Pacioretty would 100% be a pure rental unless he took a massive discount to sign with the pens but brassard is a rental too.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Lol..we know nothing about whether Blueger or anyone else in the Ahl is NHL worthy yet...they would have to play during the RS...there’s no hurry to trade Brass...if someone shows he can play center in the nhl, Brass can always be traded by the TDL...Pens could get a first and likely another’s pick or prospect then....

They should only trade him now if they get an amazing return and have someone in FA or via trade that can play center this year for them...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Why would the Canes want a UFA-to-be?

Cut salary. Put their stamp on the team. I dunno. But I’m surprised Staal isn’t a name that’s out there if they’re shopping Skinner and Faulk.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Might not be roster players as a return. Picks and prospects going somewhere else for another team's roster player(s). I could see JR wheelin' and dealin' given the atmosphere.
1st+prospect. Then Pens have more pieces for a Karlsson trade and picking up Smith for our 3C. Somehow JR will have to get Sens to retain on Karlsson a little, then JR can trade Letang to Vegas.

Reactions: ETA

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'd rather not gamble on that, particularly with a first year pro and first year in NA guy. In a scenario where you trade Brassard and don't get your new C before season start (not ideal to begin with), the hunt should continue unless one of them comes screaming out of the blocks and demands it.
I haven't been that impressed with TB and I'm not that familiar with Olund, but I could see Angello forcing his way. If we do add a C, we could always sell him at the deadline if need be. That seems the safer route.

I struggle and go back and forth between icing the young, hungry guys that were so important to our first Cup run and getting established guys who we know will make the 4th line formidable.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You have an outstanding center core from top to bottom (on paper anyhow), Why not just be content with That? Also, Brassard has a very reasonable cap hit. It makes little sense to tinker with that.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
1st+prospect. Then Pens have more pieces for a Karlsson trade and picking up Smith for our 3C. Somehow JR will have to get Sens to retain on Karlsson a little, then JR can trade Letang to Vegas.

Sounds crazy, but I could see him working on something like that with all the rumblings going around. We send Letang to Vegas, some picks/prospects/etc. to OTT. Vegas sends picks/prospects to OTT, and gets Ryan. We get EK. Sprinkle some retention in as needed.

But, we'll probably just sign a nobody on July 8th.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Sounds crazy, but I could see him working on something like that with all the rumblings going around. We send Letang to Vegas, some picks/prospects/etc. to OTT. Vegas sends picks/prospects to OTT, and gets Ryan. We get EK. Sprinkle some retention in as needed.

Ottawa is cheap. They aren't going to retain. So Vegas gives up Picks and prospects for Letang and an ALBATROSS (probably the NHL's worst) contract in Bobby Ryan? They're taking in 15M for 2 players. 1 of which is utter trash.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
So, we make the same mistake as most of last year....
...try Sheahan as a 3rd line center and Blueger as a the 4th
...then have two top heavy lines and 2 bottom lines that can't get anything going

We won't have the cap space to improve the center position.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I prefer if we just kept Brass and just roll with what we have. Maybe go get Duclair or Reider for some extra speed on the 4th line.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wasn't that crazy about Brassard's work last year even before the injury. But I wouldn't feel too great about going into next season without him as part of this team's center depth, which is very important. He also is a really good option to fill in competently as a top six center in case of injury. Guys like that don't grow on trees and certainly not at Brass's price tag.

I wouldn't at all be opposed to moving him but it kinda puts you back at square one when it comes to blowing open another huge roster hole to fill. And I don't see Staal as a good option. He WOULD be an ideal 3C here but he won't be content playing that role just as he wasn't in the past.

Reactions: dogthateats

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4