Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm really surprised this hasn't been posted on the mail boards, but TWICE on TSN radio Montreal he said that Brassard's name is out there and on both times put it in the context of the Pens wanting to go "Big Game Hunting".

One of the Montreal radio guys asked him if he thought the Pens were a fit for Pacioretty. Bras won't get you Patches straight up, but I'm thinking the Pens could trade Brass for some assets and then package them for Skinner or whomever.

Bras is great value at $3M, but that's still $3M that could open up some room for us to get a big fish if that's indeed part of the plan. Just thought this was interesting to pass on and worthy of its own thread.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's all over the salary cap thread.

Where people are mainly skeptical of McGuire and who on earth fits the description.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I don't understand this. Do they really think Sheahan is going to be a 3C and Blueger who has never played an NHL game going to come in as the 4C?

I'd rather replace Hags with a higher cap hit than a legit 3C.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We have been talking about this all week, I suppose it got buried in the main thread for some of you. McGuire has been saying this for some time now. Pretty consistently.

Yes, we cannot do better than Brassard at $3 million, but that is only going to last one season. And his best attributes get a little bit wasted here because he cannot play on PP1 and we don't seem too interested in using him on the PK.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t have a problem trading Brass, but we will need another center back, no question...I don’t like a swap for Patches for that reason but I don’t think we should have to add anything to that swap...MTL is desperate for centers and won’t re-sign him and both players are rentals....now if we trade him and are getting Danault back, or we work out a 3-way with CAR and get Skinner and Rask, or we use that cap money to sign Nash or something, fine...I just don’t think this is likely.....

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Love Brassard and 3mil is great for him but it’s the end game of the roster (not just one trade). If they can build a better team including him in a trade I’m all for it.

I’d trade anyone on our roster except Sid and Geno because we wouldn’t be better (and they have full NMC’s). Also not Hornqvist because I love him :) (unless it was a non realistic no brainer offer).

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Brassard is not a third line center and is some what wasted there. But the issue is still who comes back if he is moved. I think a solid fourth line center with Sheahan who has nice chemistry with Kessel may still work. What Pens need is simply not another scorer like Skinner or RW from Montreal. There are better trade partners for Brassard that can make a deal work.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Needs to be a package for somebody very valuable given that 3 mil cap hit.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The only reason I don't hate this idea is Brass is on an expiring contract and I assume Skinner would be signing an extension. We will have to bring in another C at some point.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Brassard is not a third line center and is some what wasted there. But the issue is still who comes back if he is moved. I think a solid fourth line center with Sheahan who has nice chemistry with Kessel may still work. What Pens need is simply not another scorer like Skinner or RW from Montreal. There are better trade partners for Brassard that can make a deal work.
How is he not a 3C?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I can't think of any scenario where trading him makes us a better team. And if a C is coming the other way, why is either team making that trade?

I’d do Brassard+something for Staal.

Canes get a better fit for their top 6 and cut serious money longterm. Pens get the ideal 3C back.

Reactions: Badfish87

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He is second line center as a player. Limited PP and not playing on a top two line is not something he has done. So to me it is overkill to a degree. Would I trade him as he is viewed as a top line center? Depending on the return but no question GMJR paid a big price for that third line center. You don't trade your best goalie prospect, 1st, Cole and move Reaves for a third line center.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’d do Brassard+something for Staal.

Canes get a better fit for their top 6 and cut serious money longterm. Pens get the ideal 3C back.
Why would the Canes want a UFA-to-be?

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
He is second line center as a player. Limited PP and not playing on a top two line is not something he has done. So to me it is overkill to a degree. Would I trade him as he is viewed as a top line center? Depending on the return but no question GMJR paid a big price for that third line center. You don't trade your best goalie prospect, 1st, Cole and move Reaves for a third line center.
The days of shutdown third lines seem to be over. I mean you have Kessel on it for God's sake.
If you can get a player like Brassard for 3M, my opinion is you jump on it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People are overstating how important having Brassard is to this roster and how immediately you'd need to get a centre back. It's awesome having him here but you could win it with a Sheahan as 3C and you could then get another Sheahan-esque 3C from another team. It doesn't have to be part of the original trade.

It's awesome enough that I wouldn't move him for anything other than a big game target who can be here long term. But if that came up, no regrets or hesitations in moving him.

How is he not a 3C?

Probably the fact all his career numbers are of a 2C.

Not to say he can't play 3C. Just his talent level is equal to the average 2C around the league.

Reactions: Andy99

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would be quite surprised if someone other than Montreal would give JR the best offer for Brassard. Shocked, actually.

He is exactly what they want, exactly what they need.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I could see it if someone wanted him as a 2C (which he really is), and was willing to pay us a premium for it. I kind of think he might not be a fit here, and he's only got the one year left. If we can get a better "fit" 3C out of it with some ++, or acquire assets to get that player, I'm all for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->