Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I haven't been that impressed with TB and I'm not that familiar with Olund, but I could see Angello forcing his way. If we do add a C, we could always sell him at the deadline if need be. That seems the safer route.

I struggle and go back and forth between icing the young, hungry guys that were so important to our first Cup run and getting established guys who we know will make the 4th line formidable.

ZAR, Sprong and Simon will all be young and hungry next season. Oleksiak and Sheahan aren't that established either. We've got some guys that fit.

9 times out of 10, I'd say get the established player and see what happens when injuries give the kid a chance. And don't go selling the established player at the deadline either, but keep building your depth for the play offs. I think there's a good chance Blugers could be a valuable guy to bring into the roster if there's injuries come next Spring... I'd rather have him as a back up and someone as good in the line up, than Blugers in and a worse back up.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I think JR knows Brassard is not signing here long term. If he can get a long term asset for him, he'll take it.

edit: not like a pick or future prospect but if Brassard does a sign and trade, he can get a nice asset.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What would we get? Don't really want Patches. Domi would be nice.

McGuire said the other day that he did not believe JR would have interest in a Brassard-for-Pacioretty swap, he kept reiterating that JR was looking to do something bigger. So, I have to assume it would be Brassard to Montreal for future assets, and then JR goes to work on the rest.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think JR knows Brassard is not signing here long term. If he can get a long term asset for him, he'll take it.

edit: not like a pick or future prospect but if Brassard does a sign and trade, he can get a nice asset.

Regardless, the Brassard trade is a masterstroke if we are able to package him for a long term LW.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
McGuire said the other day that he did not believe JR would have interest in a Brassard-for-Pacioretty swap, he kept reiterating that JR was looking to do something bigger. So, I have to assume it would be Brassard to Montreal for future assets, and then JR goes to work on the rest.

Picks+prospects and then we make a big time trade with Columbus for Panarin, then get Sens Smith as our 3C

Panarin-Malkin-Kessel

I'M SO f***ING GREEDY!!!!!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I can't think of any scenario where trading him makes us a better team. And if a C is coming the other way, why is either team making that trade?

Me either. I have no idea how that would happen, but...it's JR. Who knows what he has up his sleeve.

Reactions: 66-30-33

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Columbus would have a stipulation (if they could) that you cannot deal this guy to Pittsburgh when trading Panarin.

There’s 0 chance they send him to us, for any package. They’re in the playoff hunt every year and the chances are always high that the road goes through Pittsburgh - they would basically be going a long way to sealing their own playoff exits by letting Pittsburgh trade for Panarin.

I also have a hunch, speculation in my part, that Panarin’s unwillingness to sign as absolutely nothing to do with the city itself, the organization, the direction they are heading etc and everything to do with the coach.

I really feel like this (not wanting to sign at this time) is his way of saying, if this guy is here next season, I’m going elsewhere.

For all I know, Panarin may love Torterella. However I’m guessing he doesn’t.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Regardless, the Brassard trade is a masterstroke if we are able to package him for a long term LW.

Having said what I just said... yeah... I could live with that.

But again... suddenly this team's center depth is back to "pretty gross." I like Blueger... I don't like him THAT much.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I'd really like to see what Brass can do in a Pens sweater while healthy after time to acclimate to the team.

It'd take a crazy return involving a great 3C to get me to sign off on it.

Fantasy time...Brass and Kessel for Skinner and Staal?

Brassard for the thic boii is cool but Phil is here to stay now.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Both Karlsson and Staal would make life easier for Sid and Geno in ways that even a great winger couldn’t.

Edit: But apparently Ottawa is insisting on Ryan being dealt with him.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But again... I really don't see Staal taking that kind of backseat role, again. It was probably the biggest reason he left the first time around.

I don't think Staal liked Pittsburgh even half as much as Pittsburgh STILL seems to love him...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But could they stroke it to the East, or stroke it to the West? Or stroke it to the gal that they like the best?

I wouldn’t be quoting Clarence Carter so readily...you do know he has a song called “Patches” don’t you?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd really like to see what Brass can do in a Pens sweater while healthy after time to acclimate to the team.

It'd take a crazy return involving a great 3C to get me to sign off on it.

Fantasy time...Brass and Kessel for Skinner and Staal?

That's big game alright. Can't see Staal as realistic when he has a NMC and has turned down the role before. But... that probably makes us better.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
That's big game alright. Can't see Staal as realistic when he has a NMC and has turned down the role before. But... that probably makes us better.

The third line of the Penguins, with Staal and Kessel would be taking a backseat to nobody tbh.

Carolina isn’t even sniffing the playoffs until Staal is past his prime - can’t think of any conceivable reason why he would want to stay there unless his wife and he just want to live there. I’m guessing his brother still lives there, and that may factor in. Who knows.

In a world where Thic Boii was open to leaving Carolina, he’s exactly what we need in a 3C.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But again... I really don't see Staal taking that kind of backseat role, again. It was probably the biggest reason he left the first time around.

I don't think Staal liked Pittsburgh even half as much as Pittsburgh STILL seems to love him...

True, he did turn down the role before. But he's 30 now, his brother's gone, and he hasn't seen the playoffs in 6 years. Might change his perspective.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017
I want Brassard (with a minor +) for Faksa.

Assuming Dallas doesn't sign Tavares, I think they would want a more offensely skilled center than Faksa and they already have Janmark or Shore to play 3C. I do not think the Stars trust Hanzal's health and Spezza has declining production.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
True, he did turn down the role before. But he's 30 now, his brother's gone, and he hasn't seen the playoffs in 6 years. Might change his perspective.

I feel like his name would at least show up occasionally in the rumor mill (outside still-heartbroken Penguins fans fantasies) were that true. He seems pretty content where he's at. As does Carolina's FO.

You'd think maybe he'd want to win something again someday. But it doesn't drive everyone. Maybe he values stability both professionally and privately more than wins and Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad