Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Considering Antoine Rousell seems to be getting $3MM per year from Vancouver it better be a king's ransom for me to move Brassard.

I agree with the King's ransom for me to want to make a deal trading Brassard. Brassard has one of the best cap values on the team and will easily get $5 million or more a year next season when he is a UFA. I can't see how the Pens win that trade unless it was a deal like Brassard for Skinner with us taking on the bigger cap hit for the better player. I think player wise we win but is having a strong center group more important than having the better player? For example is a Skinner-Sheahan-Rust line with Blueger 4th line center better than a Rust-Brassard-Sprong line with having your 4th line center being Sheahan?

The only reason moving Brassard would be to make the cap room for someone studly like a Skinner. The Pens have a hard situation if the rumored Johnson deal is true. Because they could not fit Skinner under the cap unless they had salary going out and not many good fits going out. For example I always keep seeing people say trade Hagelin but our PK forwards are in short supply even with him. I also believe he is important for line balance so you have people that actually play defense and forecheck. I guess we could always give a marginal player and a 4th to are friends for another $2 milllion cap space?:sarcasm::naughty:

It will be very interesting over the next couple days what the Pens do.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
For example I always keep seeing people say trade Hagelin but our PK forwards are in short supply even with him. I also believe he is important for line balance so you have people that actually play defense and forecheck.
asfsafafa.jpg

Reactions: Tweed and Pens x

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I don’t have a problem trading Brass, but we will need another center back, no question...I don’t like a swap for Patches for that reason but I don’t think we should have to add anything to that swap...MTL is desperate for centers and won’t re-sign him and both players are rentals....now if we trade him and are getting Danault back, or we work out a 3-way with CAR and get Skinner and Rask, or we use that cap money to sign Nash or something, fine...I just don’t think this is likely.....

Brassard and _____ for Skinner and Rask?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Brassard and _____ for Skinner and Rask?

Yeah, see I don’t think we have enough cap space to move out for those players in a one-for-one deal with CAR....that’s why I suggested a 3- way with someone else....

Unless we’re trading Phil, but then I wouldn’t include Brassard....
Maybe Hags but CAR probably wouldn’t want two expiring contracts....

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If we move Brassard, his ability to negotiate a new contract with the new team will be important. I could see the Habs being interested in Brassard if he signs an extension with them.

I could see a potential big trade with the Habs if Brassard and Letang are involved. Not saying it is going to happen, but it would be a big sexy trade.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Montreal would give the moon and stars for Brassard and Letang. The problem is their moon and stars are the glow in the dark hunks of plastic you got from the dollar store that you stuck to your ceiling as a kid.

Outside of Pacioretty, I don't really think I give a shit about anything from Montreal. Gallagher might be really good here, I guess. But we need a top pairing defenseman if/when we move Letang.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Montreal would give the moon and stars for Brassard and Letang. The problem is their moon and stars are the glow in the dark hunks of plastic you got from the dollar store that you stuck to your ceiling as a kid.

Outside of Pacioretty, I don't really think I give a **** about anything from Montreal. Gallagher might be really good here, I guess. But we need a top pairing defenseman if/when we move Letang.

Agree. No idea what I would want back from MTL in such a trade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Outside of Pacioretty, I don't really think I give a **** about anything from Montreal. Gallagher might be really good here, I guess. But we need a top pairing defenseman if/when we move Letang.

Totally independent of how reasonable it is or if it made sense in a Letang deal, Gallagher would be just about the perfect RW for Sid and Jake. I'd much rather have him than Patches - younger, an agitator, great around the net, smart enough to read off those 2, and cost-controlled.

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Totally independent of how reasonable it is or if it made sense in a Letang deal, Gallagher would be just about the perfect RW for Sid and Jake. I'd much rather have him than Patches - younger, an agitator, great around the net, smart enough to read off those 2, and cost-controlled.

Too many RWings, Phil would have to go.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Just out of curiosity, who do you think we could get back as a replacement D for Letang and why would the other team do it?

100% honest opinion here...we can get nothing back for Letang and no team will do it.

I wouldve traded him for like Doughty or Karlsson...but...the pay isnt equal, and why would LA or OTT have done that?

Even if WE dont feel like he is a #1 D-man, he still is. And if he isn't, well we sure aren't getting a #1 back, and if we don't, the defense is even more screwed than just keeping Letang.

Rock and a hard place...truth hurts.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
100% honest opinion here...we can get nothing back for Letang and no team will do it.

I wouldve traded him for like Doughty or Karlsson...but...the pay isnt equal, and why would LA or OTT have done that?

Even if WE dont feel like he is a #1 D-man, he still is. And if he isn't, well we sure aren't getting a #1 back, and if we don't, the defense is even more screwed than just keeping Letang.

Rock and a hard place...truth hurts.
Agreed. If we move Letang we are getting a worse D back and upgrading in other areas.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Agreed. If we move Letang we are getting a worse D back and upgrading in other areas.

We would need Lemieux AND Gretzky just to try and outpace other teams then. Highly doutbful they could upgrade other areas enough to even offset the downgrade.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If we move Brassard, his ability to negotiate a new contract with the new team will be important. I could see the Habs being interested in Brassard if he signs an extension with them.

I could see a potential big trade with the Habs if Brassard and Letang are involved. Not saying it is going to happen, but it would be a big sexy trade.

I don't agree on the Letang addition but I like your point about the worth of Brassard signed to a new contract could be much more than we payed and that could be used for other options. It would have to be a king's ransom to make it worth it. I mean we have a team that won 2 Cups and lost to the eventual Cup champ this year in OT or we go to a game 7 which we have won many times against them. We did this with Murray not up to his normal standards, Kessel not at his normal play and most likely hurt and also Brassard playing with a bad groin. Just saying it could go either way and we are one of the big contenders so do we start making too many moves that messes with a team that is one of the top favorites?

I am fine going into next season with this lineup and the supposed addition of Johnson. If Skinner is available for the asking price of a 1st and prospect like many say then maybe that addition also for 1st and Sprong or 1st and Jarry.

loosing our center depth when it is so important to the team just does not seem like a way to improve the team. Trading a center with a $3 milllion cap hit that is worth a $5 million cap hit does not make you better unless it is something unreal in value. I just don't know what kind of package would make sense and make us better as a team.

Reactions: EightyOne

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010

Right, which is why in addition to being a fan favorite, an organization favorite, and a good friend to Sid and Geno, the idea of trading Letang was never really realistic. For better or worse, we're stuck with him. I'm personally of the opinion that despite his gaffes, his advanced stats and production coming off a neck injury were still #1 d quality, and I expect him to play better next season. Less minutes would do him wonders as well. But I digress... Brassard I only move if for an exceptional return, like for a long term solution at either 3c, LW, or RD.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, just speaking generally on how Gallagher would fit here. I don't think hes available or anything.

I imagine Sid would be very happy for him to play on his RW so would I! He’s a terror like Hornqvist with more speed/skill but less strength/intensity. No one matches Horny’s intensity so that’s no slight on Gallagher.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
My assumption is the big name would be Bozak.

Bozak is a better fit than Brassard. That said would it really be paying someone like Bozak $5M+ a season for several seasons? He's 32 years old. People are complaining about signing a 31 year old Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I’m in favor of it if it meant getting Skinner. Riley Sheahan is a fine player, and in theory he should have good wingers basically at all times.

Obviously Brassard is a fantastic value and he probably gets a mulligan for playing through injury in the playoffs, but if trading him meant getting a long-term upgrade somewhere, I’d be on board.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
My assumption is the big name would be Bozak.

Bozak is a better fit than Brassard. That said would it really be paying someone like Bozak $5M+ a season for several seasons? He's 32 years old. People are complaining about signing a 31 year old Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal.

Bozak is a way worse fit than Brassard. He sucks defensively and is worse offensively.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad