Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There are legitimate arguments for Bones and legitimate arguments for Sheahan....until you bring in their contracts. Even if you think Bones is the better player, he is not $2M/year better.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
There are legitimate arguments for Bones and legitimate arguments for Sheahan....until you bring in their contracts. Even if you think Bones is the better player, he is not $2M/year better.

I don't see any argument for Sheahan other than cost. However, cost is a big enough issue on its own to justify taking Sheahan over Bonino.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
they are waiting on the Karlsson trade.
153255388672287160_zpsfptrliyw.png

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't see any argument for Sheahan other than cost. However, cost is a big enough issue on its own to justify taking Sheahan over Bonino.
Age. Size. Better at faceoffs. More durable. Slightly more productive at ES despite getting worse zone starts during their time with the Penguins (at least so far).

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Age. Size. Better at faceoffs. More durable. Slightly more productive at ES despite getting worse zone starts during their time with the Penguins (at least so far).

Age aside, all of those things you named are so negligible that it's hardly worth mentioning. Sheahan doesn't use his size well, he's not appreciably better on faceoffs, he's not appreciably more productive at even strength...

The only significant differences between them are cost and the fact that Bonino performed in the playoffs for us and Sheahan didn't.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sheahan had 64.8 DZS% this season (Bonino 63.8%). Per 82 games their production was only 3 points apart. Sheahan has a more favourable OZS% over their careers too.

Bonino has a better history and I’d take him over Sheahan. His contract was too much though. I get Sheahan has had some issues coming over from Detroit but Bonino also was also recovering from a broken tibia so that can explain his poor start to the season.

Bones contract is honestly not that much. In a world where Rust gets 3.5 mil, Bonino gets 4 simply because of position.

I get the Penguins moving on from him, but 4x4 is a solid contract and I think we could have easily got him for less since he liked playing here.

We will be paying Sheahan likely similar if we sign him long term, or giving a UFA we hope has the versatility of Bones.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think JR didnt want to settle on that position for UFA money.

He’ll sooner pay Duchene next summer. Or bring Staal back.

Just the way he rolls.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Bones contract is honestly not that much. In a world where Rust gets 3.5 mil, Bonino gets 4 simply because of position.

I get the Penguins moving on from him, but 4x4 is a solid contract and I think we could have easily got him for less since he liked playing here.

We will be paying Sheahan likely similar if we sign him long term, or giving a UFA we hope has the versatility of Bones.

Bones contract was the year before though. I think 3.5mil is max I would go and 3 years.

I thought I heard JR did make an offer but was much lower than Nashville’s (6-7 million difference?). I saw an an interview with him and he looked pretty sad to leave. He talked about doing what’s best for his family which is fair enough. Maybe if he was single he might have worked out a deal here lol

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I think JR didnt want to settle on that position for UFA money.

He’ll sooner pay Duchene next summer. Or bring Staal back.

Just the way he rolls.

Yeah he was probably hoping he could bring in a bigger piece. Unfortunately it took him right time the deadline then Brass got injured.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Bones contract was the year before though. I think 3.5mil is max I would go and 3 years.

I thought I heard JR did make an offer but was much lower than Nashville’s (6-7 million difference?). I saw an an interview with him and he looked pretty sad to leave. He talked about doing what’s best for his family which is fair enough. Maybe if he was single he might have worked out a deal here lol

It's also important to remember that Bones wasn't an NHL regular until he was 25-26 and he wasn't a high draft pick so he didn't even get a significant bonus when he was drafted. It's totally sensible to take what might be his only real payday.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It's also important to remember that Bones wasn't an NHL regular until he was 25-26 and he wasn't a high draft pick so he didn't even get a significant bonus when he was drafted. It's totally sensible to take what might be his only real payday.

Yeah he’d been paid over his whole career approx 9.7 mil. Then went and signed a 16.4 mil contract. Close to double his career earnings with the Nashville contract.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Age aside, all of those things you named are so negligible that it's hardly worth mentioning. Sheahan doesn't use his size well, he's not appreciably better on faceoffs, he's not appreciably more productive at even strength...

The only significant differences between them are cost and the fact that Bonino performed in the playoffs for us and Sheahan didn't.
Age is a pretty significant one though and he's more durable. The others aren't as significant, but it's still true. Like I said originally, there are arguments to be made for both.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sheahan had 64.8 DZS% this season (Bonino 63.8%). Per 82 games their production was only 3 points apart. Sheahan has a more favourable OZS% over their careers too.

Bonino has a better history and I’d take him over Sheahan. His contract was too much though. I get Sheahan has had some issues coming over from Detroit but Bonino also was also recovering from a broken tibia so that can explain his poor start to the season.

Where are you getting 64.8% DZ starts this past season?

On NHL Reference:

This season: 72.2, with Detroit 53.7, unless you're taking the average, which isn't correct, I don't know where the hell you got 64.7% from. Because even the total of the two is 71.4%

Even in the playoffs he was getting 71.8% DZ Starts.

How about people post their actual source for this shit.

Here's mine. Riley Sheahan NHL Advanced Statistics (All) | Hockey-Reference.com

Now plug Bonino like he would be better, his entire tenure with us is skewed because of a lightning in a bottle moment with Kessel and Hags.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The fact that this is an argument is hilarious given the minuscule difference of a stat dependant on coaching preferences, depth and line combinations. Especially rich from the guy pretending Sullivan is an idiot all the time. The fact that it was sparked by me saying I prefer Bonino’s skills is even funnier.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Iirc, the refusal to talk more than 3 years of term is what sealed the deal.

Fwiw, from what I've seen so far, I prefer Sheahan as a 3C taking hard minutes and Bonino as a 2C/3C in an offensive role.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Where are you getting 64.8% DZ starts this past season?

On NHL Reference:

This season: 72.2, with Detroit 53.7, unless you're taking the average, which isn't correct, I don't know where the hell you got 64.7% from. Because even the total of the two is 71.4%

Even in the playoffs he was getting 71.8% DZ Starts.

How about people post their actual source for this ****.

Here's mine. Riley Sheahan NHL Advanced Statistics (All) | Hockey-Reference.com

Now plug Bonino like he would be better, his entire tenure with us is skewed because of a lightning in a bottle moment with Kessel and Hags.

Same site but even strength. Your number is including the PK.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

Bonino produced in playoffs where everyone produced. Sheahan failed to produce in playoffs where nearly nobody produced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad