Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Why not both? Brassard should start the year as 3C, absolutely. But spot play him with Sid or Geno. If the team needs a kick, throwing him on a line with Geno and Kessel a few times a game will get him some extra ice time.

Especially if Kessel starts out with him on line 3, we should be rolling those top three lines (near) equally all year. If I see Sid or Geno pushing 20 minutes at any point unless its a game where we have six PPs then it's a failure of bench management.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Brassard and Sheahan are signed for one more year. I think they're going to see which one fits best at 3C and move the other one. At this point, I honestly think it's going to be Brassard that's moved. I feel like Sheahan was a better fit overall, Brassard's injury not withstanding.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Brassard and Sheahan are signed for one more year. I think they're going to see which one fits best at 3C and move the other one. At this point, I honestly think it's going to be Brassard that's moved. I feel like Sheahan was a better fit overall, Brassard's injury not withstanding.

I won't make any judgement on this until we see Brassard healthy and adjusted to the system. I hope we get to, and at center.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I wouldn’t be surprised if neither are here next season. I think JR wants better than Sheahan and Brassard might not want to stay on the third line.

Reactions: DegenX

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if neither are here next season. I think JR wants better than Sheahan and Brassard might not want to stay on the third line.

Agree on the latter. Disagree with the former.

Brass is going to want to cash in and the Pens won't be able to offer what he wants $$ wise (nor should they)

I think the Pens org loves loves loves Sheahand and replaces a bunch of what Cullen brought. Problem is that Sheahan likely wants a larger role (and more $$ elsewhere).

So I do agree that it's highly possible neither are here next year. Then we're in the same predicament as we were LAST year with no 3 or 4C

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Agree on the latter. Disagree with the former.

Brass is going to want to cash in and the Pens won't be able to offer what he wants $$ wise (nor should they)

I think the Pens org loves loves loves Sheahand and replaces a bunch of what Cullen brought. Problem is that Sheahan likely wants a larger role (and more $$ elsewhere).

So I do agree that it's highly possible neither are here next year. Then we're in the same predicament as we were LAST year with no 3 or 4C

Sheahan already said he likes Pittsburgh a lot, and we'll have the cap space to pay him in the 3m range, which is what it will most likely take, to keep him for a couple of years. So unless we find a better option, I see them re-upping Sheahan during the year.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Brass is a rental... Sheahan can be a long term fix... I won’t be surprised if , barring top C injuries, Brass is dealt by the deadline even if he is having a great year...

Reactions: DegenX

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to two expiring free agents, but if Rutherford walks into next season with no centres because he let both guys walk, that would be a tad vexing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Brass is a rental... Sheahan can be a long term fix... I won’t be surprised if , barring top C injuries, Brass is dealt by the deadline even if he is having a great year...

No way...if he’s playing well, he Will help in the POs and the goal is to win thr Cup...the first round pick won’t help us do that any time soon, even at the risk of getting nothing for him...he’s only traded if he doesn’t fit in

Reactions: Shady Machine

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Nothing would surprise me when it comes to two expiring free agents, but if Rutherford walks into next season with no centres because he let both guys walk, that would be a tad vexing.

I think Sheahan will be the fall back guy if he doesn’t get what he wants so I don’t think we’ll be in the same spot

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Sheahan will be the fall back guy if he doesn’t get what he wants so I don’t think we’ll be in the same spot

That's acceptable.

I'd like to see Sheahan trialled a bit at wing to see how much flexibility we've got in him. If he can do that and will sign at a reasonable hit, I'm steam ahead at the end of the season regardless. We need more guys who offer that flexibility.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
That's acceptable.

I'd like to see Sheahan trialled a bit at wing to see how much flexibility we've got in him. If he can do that and will sign at a reasonable hit, I'm steam ahead at the end of the season regardless. We need more guys who offer that flexibility.

They did try Sheahan at wing last year and he was a disaster

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
No way...if he’s playing well, he Will help in the POs and the goal is to win thr Cup...the first round pick won’t help us do that any time soon, even at the risk of getting nothing for him...he’s only traded if he doesn’t fit in

Some of the best trades come from parting with guys playing great... even for contenders...

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

He’s played wing years ago (maybe with Datsyuk) and seemed decent but yeah if you are playing him as a permanent winger it nullifies his better skills a bit. That and we could get better wingers for the cap hit

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

He needs to be at center, period Cullen can play wing effectively, I'm not sold on Brass being able to do it, but I definitely try Brass there. If you can have Brass for the year @ 3M playing a top 6 wing, that gives you a ton of flexibility. I'd look to see Brass play a good amount of wing in camp to see how it goes.

From his perspective, that allows him to get prime scoring opportunities, more than likely with Sid or Geno, and the league knows he can play center already.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He needs to be at center, period Cullen can play wing effectively, I'm not sold on Brass being able to do it, but I definitely try Brass there. If you can have Brass for the year @ 3M playing a top 6 wing, that gives you a ton of flexibility. I'd look to see Brass play a good amount of wing in camp to see how it goes.

From his perspective, that allows him to get prime scoring opportunities, more than likely with Sid or Geno, and the league knows he can play center already.

That's exactly my hope too: Brass seems like a flexible guy so it allows him to get ice time beyond your typical 3C role.
He doesn't do a ton of PK and he'll be on the 2nd PP, so deploying him as a swiss army knife could prove advantageous for Sully

People wanting to give Brass a grade for his time as a Pen didn't watch the games. He was initially struggling with the new system (he came from a trapping team), new linemates (and revolving linemates).
Then he gets injured.

Let's give him a full season before we evaluate what Brass can be as a Pen

Reactions: Aiastelmon

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I know they tried him a little there, but not enough to be conclusive (and certainly no more conclusive than the fact he has done it some in the past). Certainly his stats with Brassard and Kessel were strong.

He’s played wing years ago (maybe with Datsyuk) and seemed decent but yeah if you are playing him as a permanent winger it nullifies his better skills a bit. That and we could get better wingers for the cap hit

But the better winger will do jack when the injuries hit centre.

The flexibility that a guy who can play centre and wing can offer is huge. Maybe Sheahan isn't the guy, but I'd really like someone like that on the roster, and its worth paying more for the standard winger to get it.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I know they tried him a little there, but not enough to be conclusive (and certainly no more conclusive than the fact he has done it some in the past). Certainly his stats with Brassard and Kessel were strong.

But the better winger will do jack when the injuries hit centre.

The flexibility that a guy who can play centre and wing can offer is huge. Maybe Sheahan isn't the guy, but I'd really like someone like that on the roster, and its worth paying more for the standard winger to get it.

I think if that’s the case it’d be better to have better centre depth because what I saw of Sheahan on the wing it wasn’t that great. Although I’m not a huge Sheahan fan to begin with.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Highly doubtful. Good teams usually don't trade away good players at the deadline. Especially centers.

That's acceptable.

I'd like to see Brassard tried at LW more than Sheahan. Sheahan's strengths are all geared towards what I'd want out of my bottom 6 centers.

They did? They were starved for centers most of the year. Seems strange that would would take one and play him at wing.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
After they got Brassard they were playing Sheahan as the 4C and 3LW to give him more minutes.
OK, yeah. I vaguely remember that, but that's not a very big sample size. Especially since Brass and Malkin missed time down the stretch and most of Sheahan's minutes were still coming as 4C and on the PK.

Regardless, I don't want to play Sheahan at wing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Why would we deal Brass if he's having a great year? We need a great 3rd line center having a great year to win the Cup. This team has rarely shown a desire to move expiring UFA's at the deadline, even when there were ample in house replacements that were at least arguably better (Despres vs Orpik).

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you have a bigger need at the deadline and Brass helps you address that now and in the long run.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad