Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Oleksiak already is better at rushing the puck than Cole. Situational awareness and boxing out players with his size are the issue.

He can box out pretty good. It’s more about awareness in regards to that too. Sometimes he’s a little slow at picking up his guy. When he does it right and boxes them out he’s so strong.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sorry, I’m not naive enough to think Dallas is an org entirely made up of idiots and Sergei Gonchar is, in turn, a master scout. A good teacher? Yes but even the best teacher can’t raise IQ after age 5. I don’t know what you’re going on about “bias hatred” but speaking of dumb **** on this board, the unnecessary extremes some posts cling too is right at the top. I think Oleskiak is a bottom pairing guy going forward, which is good for him since he was on a trajectory to flame out of the league entirely.

You’re welcome to cling to the hope that he turns into something he’s never been half a decade into his pro career and maybe he will, but to suggest that thinking he won’t is bias hatred is, in short, hilarious.

But they are, just like Edmonton was.

Nill is on the hot seat.
Nill is also just recently singed Hanzal to a horrible contract.
Nill has also been fleeced by JR just like the GM before him.

Dallas is filled with idiots. They're now pumping the tires of Montgomery.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I hope Oleksiak blossoms a bit more. Even just some slight improvements and I think he is a diamond in the rough TBH.

Agreed. I think an offseason with the team will certainly help. He has the tools to really succeed in this system.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Unless I'm mistaken, Dallas have one of the worst records in the NHL when it comes to drafting and developing dmen.

Reactions: Coach Travis

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken, Dallas have one of the worst records in the NHL when it comes to drafting and developing dmen.
You're half right.

Drafting them, they are not bad at.
Developing them, you are 100% correct. They are very very hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Stephen Johns is almost lucky he had some time on the Hawks and the Hawks system otherwise he'd be another guy that they move out for nothing.

Nemeth went to the Avs and actually turned around his career a lot, he had a lot of promise, they sort of had him in and out, forced him to LD/RD, etc and then it didn't work so they called it a failure and moved on, he went to Colorado and completely turned his game around. So it's not even just us, it's more so just them not really doing well. Jyrki Jokipakka was another guy that had a lot of promise, his problem was that he went to Calgary, also bad with development, then he ended up in Ottawa and now in Europe.

Go back 5yrs for the Stars' draft record and if you look at even 2012-2014, it looks UGLY for how they draft and how little their "Texas Stars" do for development. The best part is when Nill was hired, he brought along what Stars fans thought was the success behind the Wings drafting, then it turns out their drafting just sucks even more with those guys there.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
this is a Brassard trade thread. There's an Oleksiak thread you all can go to instead.
aEjijMp.gif

What he said.

Reactions: USMC607

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sorry, I’m not naive enough to think Dallas is an org entirely made up of idiots and Sergei Gonchar is, in turn, a master scout. A good teacher? Yes but even the best teacher can’t raise IQ after age 5. I don’t know what you’re going on about “bias hatred” but speaking of dumb **** on this board, the unnecessary extremes some posts cling too is right at the top. I think Oleskiak is a bottom pairing guy going forward, which is good for him since he was on a trajectory to flame out of the league entirely.

You’re welcome to cling to the hope that he turns into something he’s never been half a decade into his pro career and maybe he will, but to suggest that thinking he won’t is bias hatred is, in short, hilarious.

I never thought to myself that Oleksiak was a low IQ player. I did at times think he was a player that was thinking entirely too much. Oleksiak has unbelievable tools but needs to work some things out. He will have that opportunity.

You can be doom and gloom if you'd like, but I just don't see the reason in being so. Oleksiak will not be a top pair guy, but I could absolutely see him maxing out as a decent middle pair guy. Even if he is a really good bottom pair defenseman he still adds value here.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
There’s no doom and gloom, I’m just trying to brace people who think he’s some exciting prospect who might get really good. There’s a real chance he doesn’t get much better than he is now, which is good enough to play 1/5 of a playoff game. It’s not a big deal to me, but maybe it will be to people who think he’s something special waiting to break out.

Edit: but this is about Brassard. I really hope some of these dominos fall already.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Edit: but this is about Brassard. I really hope some of these dominos fall already.

Seriously. As much as I'd rather hang onto Brass for the 3C spot, if they're entertaining stupidity like playing him on LW he ought to be traded for an actual LW, and the sooner the better.

Reactions: JTG

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Seriously. As much as I'd rather hang onto Brass for the 3C spot, if they're entertaining stupidity like playing him on LW he ought to be traded for an actual LW, and the sooner the better.
why? he could turn out to be a great fit on geno's wing....good defensively ….help out with faceoffs....and add a little more to the offense than hag's...………………………………………………….. or maybe not. :)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don’t understand why you’d have to play Brassard on wing to get him more minutes. We’re a team where we should be monitoring minutes all season to maximize each player’s effectiveness come spring.

No reason for Sid or Geno to be playing anywhere near 20 minutes most nights. Let them play most of the PP to keep them happy.

And if Sid wants Simon on his line, then Brass shouldn’t exactly be complaining about the prospect of PH and Rust on his line. With the possibility of Phil and Sprong moving in there.

Use Cullen and Sheahan in the D-zone 10 minutes or so/game.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t understand why you’d have to play Brassard on wing to get him more minutes. We’re a team where we should be monitoring minutes all season to maximize each player’s effectiveness come spring.

No reason for Sid or Geno to be playing anywhere near 20 minutes most nights. Let them play most of the PP to keep them happy.

And if Sid wants Simon on his line, then Brass shouldn’t exactly be complaining about the prospect of PH and Rust on his line. With the possibility of Phil and Sprong moving in there.

Use Cullen and Sheahan in the D-zone 10 minutes or so/game.

First off, that does nothing for getting Brassard on the ice a lot for when it does matter. You want to be able to use Brassard as much as possible come the play-offs because he's going to be better than most of our other players, but if you refuse to use him at wing that possibility just does not exist.

Secondly, there are reasons for Sid and Geno to be logging their usual ATOI (Sid around 20, Geno around 18:30). They need to be used to that workload for the play-offs. Plus just using them more on the PP isn't going to be enough to keep them happy... and using them all the time on the Power Play takes away ice time from Brassard anyway.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
why? he could turn out to be a great fit on geno's wing....good defensively ….help out with faceoffs....and add a little more to the offense than hag's...………………………………………………….. or maybe not. :)

Because he's a natural center who's played there for his entire NHL career, and the whole rationale behind acquiring him was to get a 3C. Nothing has changed roster-wise to suggest that we now need an LW more than we need a 3C. I love Matt Cullen, but he does not change that equation.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Because he's a natural center who's played there for his entire NHL career, and the whole rationale behind acquiring him was to get a 3C. Nothing has changed roster-wise to suggest that we now need an LW more than we need a 3C. I love Matt Cullen, but he does not change that equation.

That's mostly the direction I'm leaning, as well. I just don't understand why they'd go out and pay the price for a quality CENTER only to scuttle the entire idea after barely having a good look at it. I've personally never been a huge believer in the idea of three SUSTAINABLE scoring lines. But it's undeniable that if they can hit upon the right combination... it's awfully hard to stop.

I think there are potential advantages. And I can at least understand why maybe the team would want to give it a try. But I don't think it will work the same way I don't think jerking Malkin around all those years worked.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
we neede a 3rd line center that can play with kessel…….is that brass? I don't know if it is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's mostly the direction I'm leaning, as well. I just don't understand why they'd go out and pay the price for a quality CENTER only to scuttle the entire idea after barely having a good look at it. I've personally never been a huge believer in the idea of three SUSTAINABLE scoring lines. But it's undeniable that if they can hit upon the right combination... it's awfully hard to stop.

I think there are potential advantages. And I can at least understand why maybe the team would want to give it a try. But I don't think it will work the same way I don't think jerking Malkin around all those years worked.

It just seems so stupid. Brassard hasn't played a lick of wing in his life and the whole reason we got him was to play center. "3C" was the mantra all year long, then we got as good a 3C as we could possibly hope for, his groin got buggered and he underperformed, and now we pull the plug?

Moving him to wing now just seems like a fire drill. A zany, disproportionate response to a disappointing but understandable stretch run.

we neede a 3rd line center that can play with kessel…….is that brass? I don't know if it is.

Last year Brassard's injury was too big a variable to make an informed decision one way or the other, and it deserves every opportunity to work. During the short period he was healthy, Rust-Brass-Kessel was lights-out.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It just seems so stupid. Brassard hasn't played a lick of wing in his life and the whole reason we got him was to play center. "3C" was the mantra all year long, then we got as good a 3C as we could possibly hope for, his groin got buggered and he underperformed, and now we pull the plug?

Moving him to wing now just seems like a fire drill. A zany, disproportionate response to a disappointing but understandable stretch run.

Last year Brassard's injury was too big a variable to make an informed decision one way or the other, and it deserves every opportunity to work. During the short period he was healthy, Rust-Brass-Kessel was lights-out.
yep! and we will find out by the trade deadline.
edit; unless a deal comes along that we can't pass up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
First off, that does nothing for getting Brassard on the ice a lot for when it does matter. You want to be able to use Brassard as much as possible come the play-offs because he's going to be better than most of our other players, but if you refuse to use him at wing that possibility just does not exist.

Secondly, there are reasons for Sid and Geno to be logging their usual ATOI (Sid around 20, Geno around 18:30). They need to be used to that workload for the play-offs. Plus just using them more on the PP isn't going to be enough to keep them happy... and using them all the time on the Power Play takes away ice time from Brassard anyway.

Sid and Sheahan will be taking on a lot of D-zone starts. And there’s plenty of wingers and offensive opportunity for Malkin and Brassard’s lines.

If Brassard is no good being a secondary scorer here on a third line, then find a prototypical 3C and beef up LW or defense. Don’t use him at a position he’s pretty much never played.

His value at 3 mil starts to look like less of a steal if he’s not what we brought him in to be.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sid and Sheahan will be taking on a lot of D-zone starts. And there’s plenty of wingers and offensive opportunity for Malkin and Brassard’s lines.

If Brassard is no good being a secondary scorer here on a third line, then find a prototypical 3C and beef up LW or defense. Don’t use him at a position he’s pretty much never played.

His value at 3 mil starts to look like less of a steal if he’s not what we brought him in to be.

What does any of that have to do with boosting his ATOI higher than he'll get as a non-PKing 3C?

I'm sure he'll pot a lot of points from 3C. He did when fit.

But if you want to get our best players on the ice as much as possible, that means Brassard getting more time than your average 3C, and that means Brassard playing wing at least a bit.

Also, don't we see Cs moved out to W pretty much every international tournament? Most of them do okay with relatively little experience last I noticed. There's a decent chance Brassard is one of them (he was in the small sample last season). Why not run the experiment and see what happens?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
But if you want to get our best players on the ice as much as possible, that means Brassard getting more time than your average 3C, and that means Brassard playing wing at least a bit.
or less time for the fourth line...…..resting mat as much as possible at the start of the year would not be a bad thing.imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad