Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
What realistic contender has moved a player of Brassard’s caliber and won?
Just look behind our bench.... Future HOFr Recchi was a 23 year old coming off of a 113 point season who already had 30 goals for the third season with the Pens when he was dealt for Tocchet....

Centers are invaluable in this league... cost friendly cap hits are too... if sheahan outplays a fourth line role we could easily trade the final weeks of Brass for whatever holes injuries and underperforming players leave on the team.... im not suggesting its needed, but it’s totally plausible

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Just look behind our bench.... Future HOFr Recchi was a 23 year old coming off of a 113 point season who already had 30 goals for the third season with the Pens when he was dealt for Tocchet....

Centers are invaluable in this league... cost friendly cap hits are too... if sheahan outplays a fourth line role we could easily trade the final weeks of Brass for whatever holes injuries and underperforming players leave on the team.... im not suggesting its needed, but it’s totally plausible

Your example is a trade from nearly 30 years ago? Really?

But, like it’s a good pull. I was using it last year to justify moving Jake.

Last edited:
Reactions: madinsomniac

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Your example is a trade from nearly 30 years ago? Really?

But, like it’s a good pull. I was using it last year to justify moving Jake.

Hockey trades are rare moving established players for other established guys but they do happen.... you do not need an all star lineup to win... you need depth and the right mix for however that year plays out... maybe Brass is what we need... maybe Brass ends up bringing what we need... its a great problem to have

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
Why would we deal Brass if he's having a great year? We need a great 3rd line center having a great year to win the Cup. This team has rarely shown a desire to move expiring UFA's at the deadline, even when there were ample in house replacements that were at least arguably better (Despres vs Orpik).

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you have a bigger need at the deadline and Brass helps you address that now and in the long run.
Was Bonino a great 3rd line center? We won the cup with him. Twice. Sheahan ppg in past season with pens (also his first season that he is likely to improve on): .44, Bonino ppg in last season with pens: .46.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Was Bonino a great 3rd line center? We won the cup with him. Twice. Sheahan ppg in past season with pens (also his first season that he is likely to improve on): .44, Bonino ppg in last season with pens: .46.

Neat. Playoffs. Bonino in his “terrible” 2017 .33ppg. Sheahan .25ppg and a big fat 0 in the series we got eliminated in.

Sheahan career playoffs .24ppg. Bonino .51ppg.

I like Sheahan, but those pundits and fans trying to argue he is anything close to what Bonino has brought to the playoffs every single season on both sides of the puck are just trying to act like the right move wasn’t to just resign Bones. Would’ve solved so many issues last year and given us a relatively easy cap structure down the center for the next three or so years.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I like Bonino more than Sheahan because Bonino is more offensively skilled and has the ability to make plays when the games get tight. But that’s why Bonino is making over 4 mil now and Sheahan is making less.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Neat. Playoffs. Bonino in his “terrible” 2017 .33ppg. Sheahan .25ppg and a big fat 0 in the series we got eliminated in.

I like Sheahan, but those pundits and fans trying to argue he is anything close to what Bonino has brought to the playoffs every single season on both sides of the puck are just trying to act like the right move wasn’t to just resign Bones. Would’ve solved so many issues last year and given us a relatively easy cap structure down the center for the next three or so years.

Sheahan was better than I expected, but it's madness to suggest that he was on par with Bonino. Bonino might not have been worth re-signing given his age and cost, but even Sheahan's mom would rather have Bonino if cost weren't a factor.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This Brassard blockbuster going to the 11th hour... on the edge of my seat with this ****.

Damn, Pierre! Respect!

They are turning it into a movie

61%2BeskJahYL.jpg

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I heard once the dealio goes down Netflix is pulling the trigger on a 6 part mini-series that is already being negotiated with the relevant parties.
:laugh:
Hey you forgot about the youtube spinoffs and Pierre bowling heads merchandise rights coming up!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like Bonino more than Sheahan because Bonino is more offensively skilled and has the ability to make plays when the games get tight. But that’s why Bonino is making over 4 mil now and Sheahan is making less.
Lol, what the f*** is this garbage?

30pts while starting 70% in the DZ is f***ING UNREAL YOU......breathe HOG, breathe...

Bones has NEVER put up the same kind of numbers with that kind of DZ starts. Ever.

Period.

Pop Quiz Hotshot, what was Bonino's DZ starts this past season and his production?

Hint:

Bones had 67% of his starts on the DZ, in 71 games he put up 25pts.
Sheahan had 32pts in 73 games with us with 72% of his starts in the defensive zone.

Go suck on a tuna pasta.

I would bet serious money that if Sheahan was given 40+ % OZ starts, he'd produce 40+ like Bones. Sheahan is also faster and a better face off man. Bones is maybe a more physical player than Sheahan, but that's about all I would say he has above him at this point.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Great post. People have done a remarkable job criticizing Bones and glorifying Sheahan. But many of these same people said that the fourth line didn’t matter last year only to commend Rutherford for his offseason since depth matters so much.

People will convince themselves of anything to not criticize the team.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Unfortunate shading underlined. Bonino had 0 points in 7 games against Winnipeg and was -8.

I am not disputing that Bonino is the better player btw. But we tried and failed to recreate the magic with Phil, and as that was the case he was no longer needed, less so at a real salary.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Lol, what the **** is this garbage?

30pts while starting 70% in the DZ is ****ING UNREAL YOU......breathe HOG, breathe...

Bones has NEVER put up the same kind of numbers with that kind of DZ starts. Ever.

Period.

Pop Quiz Hotshot, what was Bonino's DZ starts this past season and his production?

Hint:

Bones had 67% of his starts on the DZ, in 71 games he put up 25pts.
Sheahan had 32pts in 73 games with us with 72% of his starts in the defensive zone.

Go suck on a tuna pasta.

I would bet serious money that if Sheahan was given 40+ % OZ starts, he'd produce 40+ like Bones. Sheahan is also faster and a better face off man. Bones is maybe a more physical player than Sheahan, but that's about all I would say he has above him at this point.

Lol this is a bunch of nonsense

Reactions: Turin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol this is a bunch of nonsense

And why is that?

Sheahan produced 32pts in 73 games (with the Pens) while overwhelmingly playing 72% of his starts in the Defensive Zone. Bonino's best is 49pts while playing more of a split in the OZ and DZ starts, a more confident Sheahan after leaving Detroit is capable of more than 32pts if he were getting a 45/55 split like Bonino mostly has for his career.

Last year he stunk so bad offensively, the Preds used him primarily in a defensive role and got Turris for the role he was brought in for. And yet, Bonino is the better player?

Yeah, a bunch of nonsense....lol, get the f*** outta here.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Summer sure can get hot around here...

Not targeting anyone in particular, it's just what it is.

Hockey already for crying out loud?!?

maxresdefault.jpg

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And why is that?

Sheahan produced 32pts in 73 games (with the Pens) while overwhelmingly playing 72% of his starts in the Defensive Zone. Bonino's best is 49pts while playing more of a split in the OZ and DZ starts, a more confident Sheahan after leaving Detroit is capable of more than 32pts if he were getting a 45/55 split like Bonino mostly has for his career.

Last year he stunk so bad offensively, the Preds used him primarily in a defensive role and got Turris for the role he was brought in for. And yet, Bonino is the better player?

Yeah, a bunch of nonsense....lol, get the **** outta here.

Sheahan had 64.8 DZS% this season (Bonino 63.8%). Per 82 games their production was only 3 points apart. Sheahan has a more favourable OZS% over their careers too.

Bonino has a better history and I’d take him over Sheahan. His contract was too much though. I get Sheahan has had some issues coming over from Detroit but Bonino also was also recovering from a broken tibia so that can explain his poor start to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad