Rumor: Pierre McGuire hints at Brassard Trade

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
More i think about it, keeping things as is right now(not chasing a top tier LW'er) is probably for the best. You also have a LW beef up right on the roster in Brass.

Fact is, JR's issues may be on D and not up front.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
More i think about it, keeping things as is right now(not chasing a top tier LW'er) is probably for the best. You also have a LW beef up right on the roster in Brass.

Fact is, JR's issues may be on D and not up front.
That's what I have been saying man. It's good that they got JJ on a good contract, but you still gotta add to that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
trading de for de and expecting to get a better de back....is mostly wishful thinking. imo

Sometimes it's about fit (See Scuderi for Daley). Maatta, as an example, still has plenty of value around the league. You may be able to move him with a small + for a dman that's a better fit.

The main point here is that we shouldn't be trading major assets for more Dmen unless a Dman is going the other way in that trade or a different one soon after.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
Penguins do not need a playoff roster right now nor do they need a LW right now. Keep Brassard at C and if you need a LW at the deadline, you trade for one before the playoffs start. It is going to be a lot harder to find a C at the deadline if need be than it would be to find a LW.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Listen, all jokes aside, I just want the Leafs to be in cap hell so I hope Matthews, if he does sign, signs for 11m/yr as well and Nylander aims for 9m+/yr and Marner aims for 8m+/yr.

Just for the laughs.

Your estimates for Marner and Nylander are really off but even at that, it's very unlikely nylander makes more than marner as marner is the better player.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So have we traded Brass yet? I must have missed it.
Bettman said Pens are omit from the cap and every team has to give us 50% retention on whoever we trade for.

Letang for Colin Miller got it kicked off, and it started to blast off from there if you catch my drift. You should see our final roster.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Your estimates for Marner and Nylander are really off but even at that, it's very unlikely nylander makes more than marner as marner is the better player.
I think Nylander falls in the 7.5/yr range. Marner is easily 8m/yr. Matthews has to be 10-11m (no way he gets less than Eichel).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We really have to think about what player in the D is the issue.

Letang needs to play better, but for his salary at this point for what he can bring to the table offensively, that would be hard to replace to ES mins. If you were to ask me what I think this defense needs it is a #2. I think a really strong #2 that can pair with Letang and bring some calmness to his game would work wonders for us.

Dumoulin seems to really be coming into his own, but I think he's much better suited to ultimately be the #3.

Schultz has really found his game here and has played some strong defense also, but one has to wonder if for 2 years left on his deal, would a team like Carolina take him because he would be a fantastic flip at this deadline or next? I actually really like a Dumo - Schultz pair though.

Johnson is Johnson. He's here. I think he'll be a fantastic #5...could slot into the #4. My fear is they try to play him with Letang in which case the f***ing world would explode. Luckily I have been reading that he was brought in to take some mins off of Letang. Does he do that? Time will tell.

Where does Maatta fit? Does his first offseason see him realize what we thought we had? If it does, we have our #2 to play with Letang. What if he doesn't? Is he better than Dumo on the left side? I'd say no. He has a relatively good cap number, but he's sort of a luxury with a reduced role at that hit.

Oleksiak had a very up and down time when he was traded here. The highs look awesome. The lows are brutal. With Oleksiak, Johnson, and Schultz, Sergei Gonchar is earning his money. If he can turn Johnson and Oleksiak around, he's going to be a highly coveted assistant coach in the NHL.

Reactions: Giskard

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Sometimes it's about fit (See Scuderi for Daley). Maatta, as an example, still has plenty of value around the league. You may be able to move him with a small + for a dman that's a better fit.

The main point here is that we shouldn't be trading major assets for more Dmen unless a Dman is going the other way in that trade or a different one soon after.

This.

I've mentioned this in the past. Pens play all speed and pick movement. Maatta, while a pretty good D, is not exactly fleet of foot.

We need a Maatta quality player with a different skillset.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not sure I get the point of Oleksiak here anymore with the Johnson signing. We could use a RHD whether it be a PMD or a more stable presence.

Reactions: Turin

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Not sure I get the point of Oleksiak here anymore with the Johnson signing. We could use a RHD whether it be a PMD or a more stable presence.

Who's your 7/8th defenseman then(and 6/7th after Letang gets trampled by a horse or some such nonsense)?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Johnson and Oleksiak play both sides.

I think Oleksiak has serious tools to be an awesome defenseman. He's 25, so he's sort of coming up to that hill that players come to - they either explode or they sort of wither away. Schultz exploded. I think Oleksiak can do the same.

I think to replenish our depleted assets, if JR can continuously bring in defensive reclamation projects and Sarge can routinely rehab them...that'd be pretty nice set up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We really have to think about what player in the D is the issue.

Letang needs to play better, but for his salary at this point for what he can bring to the table offensively, that would be hard to replace to ES mins. If you were to ask me what I think this defense needs it is a #2. I think a really strong #2 that can pair with Letang and bring some calmness to his game would work wonders for us.

Dumoulin seems to really be coming into his own, but I think he's much better suited to ultimately be the #3.

Schultz has really found his game here and has played some strong defense also, but one has to wonder if for 2 years left on his deal, would a team like Carolina take him because he would be a fantastic flip at this deadline or next? I actually really like a Dumo - Schultz pair though.

Johnson is Johnson. He's here. I think he'll be a fantastic #5...could slot into the #4. My fear is they try to play him with Letang in which case the ****ing world would explode. Luckily I have been reading that he was brought in to take some mins off of Letang. Does he do that? Time will tell.

Where does Maatta fit? Does his first offseason see him realize what we thought we had? If it does, we have our #2 to play with Letang. What if he doesn't? Is he better than Dumo on the left side? I'd say no. He has a relatively good cap number, but he's sort of a luxury with a reduced role at that hit.

Oleksiak had a very up and down time when he was traded here. The highs look awesome. The lows are brutal. With Oleksiak, Johnson, and Schultz, Sergei Gonchar is earning his money. If he can turn Johnson and Oleksiak around, he's going to be a highly coveted assistant coach in the NHL.

It is obvious the piece to move is Maatta or Letang and likely let Schultz walk.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Oleksiak and Schultz are extremely different players. Schultz has always, always been significantly better. There is no way Oleksiak ever becomes Schultz half a decade into his pro-career, never being good enough to play a full pro season. Schultz was better in college/junior, better in the AHL and significantly better in the NHL. Schultz had a breakout/contract year at 26/27 years old. Oleksiak turns 26 in December and has yet to play a real full season in any significant role. I really wish people would stop pretending he’s this untapped prospect when he’s a guy who’s absolute ceiling (that he probably won’t reach) is decent #5.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Johnson and Oleksiak play both sides.

I think Oleksiak has serious tools to be an awesome defenseman. He's 25, so he's sort of coming up to that hill that players come to - they either explode or they sort of wither away. Schultz exploded. I think Oleksiak can do the same.

I think to replenish our depleted assets, if JR can continuously bring in defensive reclamation projects and Sarge can routinely rehab them...that'd be pretty nice set up.

If he becomes a steady bottom pair D man I’d be happy. I don’t see him ever becoming a regular top 4 D man but he doesn’t need to be to be successful here either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad