Confirmed with Link: Pierre Engvall signs 2 year extension (AAV: 1.25M)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Is Pierre Engvall dead? Looks like he might never get an opportunity this season based on people's (HFBoard Leaf Fans) line construction.

Why is Jimmy Vesey in and Engvall gone gone gone? Did TOR prematurely sign Engvall to a too big a contract?

Will Keefe invent a 5th line for Engvall to play on?

Engvall doesn't require waivers. I can't imagine that's something that would have been thought to come into play though when he signed that two year deal. What could potentially work in his favour for a spot is his ability to play centre.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'd be inclined to give a 24 year old, 6'5" tall W/C who can skate as good as some, and a good bit better than most, a bit more than a 48 game sample before writing him off. He signed pre CV. Will he be a star, unlikely. Might he be a better Gauthier? Possibly. Today, he's our's, let's give him a chance to see if he's got more to offer.

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
This guy is a good player. I don't understand why some people want to dump him already. Last year was his first bit of NHL action. His size and speed gives opposing bottom 6 match ups headaches. It would be completely stupid to get rid of Engvall at this moment in time.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
This guy is a good player. I don't understand why some people want to dump him already. Last year was his first bit of NHL action. His size and speed gives opposing bottom 6 match ups headaches. It would be completely stupid to get rid of Engvall at this moment in time.

Agreed. Really liked him on the PK too, with his good wheels and huge wingspan.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
You know ice hockey sire.

Reactions: DaWatcher

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'd be inclined to give a 24 year old, 6'5" tall W/C who can skate as good as some, and a good bit better than most, a bit more than a 48 game sample before writing him off. He signed pre CV. Will he be a star, unlikely. Might he be a better Gauthier? Possibly. Today, he's our's, let's give him a chance to see if he's got more to offer.
We traded Kerfoot for Kadri. Kerfoot sucks on da wing and has 3 more years at 3M+ per so he has play centre. We signed Jumbo Joe who can't get up/down ice anymore but a C his whole life not a chance he plays wing. I can't see JT or Matty moving to wing this season anywho. So unfortunately he is da ODD man out. If he makes it it is because Vessey bombs out at camp and Robertson can't cut it at LW either. Barabanov will get 4th line spot. He did not come over here as a 26 year old to play for Marlies. and we ain't cutting Spezza or Simmonds on right side.

Add in da CAP and the fact he is eligible to move down without waivers and you can see why he is out of season opening roster.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
If he gets waived, I'm going to miss him skating the puck back into his own zone and turning it over, then rinse and repeating.

Reactions: MJK

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If he gets waived, I'm going to miss him skating the puck back into his own zone and turning it over, then rinse and repeating.

I'd love to see a clip of this happening even once, specifically the turnover in his own zone. You understand puck management is a system thing and not an Engvall thing right? If you actually watch a game you'll see all of our puck carriers turn around and regroup if there's nothing open.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I’m surprised with how many people are writing off engvall just because of the waivers situation.
The guy just had a pretty darn good rookie season, which was preceded by an impressive stint in the AHL.
He is already a much better player then vesey and he is just getting started.
If he is better than vesey in training camp, he should take the job (which he probably will).
Who cares if you lose a guy like vesey to waivers.

Reactions: Nooodles

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Do people realize that Engvall only played 50 games or so in the league.

And was on pace for 15 goals as a rookie.

He can play center, can PK, and a really fast skater.

Oh and he's also 6'4 but I guess it doesn't matter because it doesn't fit the Dubas plays midgets narrative.

Engvall is still a dark horse and could become a really, really good player for us.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Engvall doesn't require waivers. I can't imagine that's something that would have been thought to come into play though when he signed that two year deal. What could potentially work in his favour for a spot is his ability to play centre.
Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't Engvall's drastic decline last season coincide almost exactly with his move to center? After they moved Kerfoot up to the wing because of Mik's injury. I only remember this because I was moaning about Keefe moving him to center when he was killing it on the wing. And then he really never got it back for whatever reason.
Has Willy or Giraffe ever displayed a solid game playing center? Even once?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This guy was always destined to become "this guy is huge he should run over everyone" type of whipping boy. But even the "all skill all speed" set don't seem to want to back this player even as a support player despite the good skating and conscientious game.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Engvall may not become a superstar, but he's young and a very good depth piece. Everyone seems to forget how good he is on the PK. Let the guy battle for a job. Nothing makes a player work harder than competition. And to all the haters who want him gone:

656801337-giraffe-funny_o_789942.jpg

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad