Confirmed with Link: Pierre Engvall signs 2 year extension (AAV: 1.25M)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Does he:

1. Hit/Finish his checks

2. Fight

?

I think that if you said no to the above then don't you question this signing?

In no way do I think this contract is bad or that he's bad. I just question why we have so many non-role players.

Perhaps they'll use him to trade for one.
Just wow.......question the signing because of that?

This board gets dimmer every day......

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Great deal. Apart from the stars getting paid (which in reality, it should be stars getting paid and lesser lights getting appropriate amounts), Dubas has done very well on the non-star contracts. Also turns out he did very well on Nylander. The big 3 are the only ones you'd question but by the same token, if they are performing, how much can you complain? The 2 biggest ones sit 9th and 14th in Pt's/GP. Obviously would be nice if you had them cheaper but at the same time, it's the first time in a long time I'd be comfortable saying they don't have any bad contracts.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Here's my seattle protection list at the moment under a scenario where 3 likely moves occur:

Muzzin extended, Hyman extended and one of Kerfoot/Johnsson/kapanen is traded for a d:

Tavares (NMC), Matthews, Marner, Nylander, 2 of those above 3, Hyman

Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott

Campbell

so then we trade one of kappy/mango for a d just to expose him to the draft?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Smart player, not a finished product.

If he falls off the planet they only have to worry about $300m on the cap, but looks like his floor is NHL.

Be nice if next year he could prove he's a solid 3rd. line center, the role I believe they're grooming him for.

Reactions: Menzinger and Rogie

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Smart player, not a finished product.

If he falls off the planet they only have to worry about $300m on the cap, but looks like his floor is NHL.

Be nice if next year he could prove he's a solid 3rd. line center, the role I believe they're grooming him for.

Yes, agreed, what he is going to become is kind of a mystery to me.

Like you suggest, nice turn of phrase btw, his "floor is the NHL" - excellent asset management

I think he'll stand out a tad more in more physical playoff hockey, at least I hope.

I still find his skating form and stride to be kind of strange, but, it works for him, and he's no slouch speed wise, so, wth.

I wonder if Underhill would make any tweeks or suggestions for him, or if he's a case, where, just leave his style alone, or it could make it worse.

Edit: Just had an idea, does Engvall maybe have a bit of that 'Bobby Orr knee bend' going on in his skating; it's so weird, yet, we know he's fast???

Reactions: Menzinger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, agreed, what he is going to become is kind of a mystery to me.

Like you suggest, nice turn of phrase btw, his "floor is the NHL" - excellent asset management

I think he'll stand out a tad more in more physical playoff hockey, at least I hope.

I still find his skating form and stride to be kind of strange, but, it works for him, and he's no slouch speed wise, so, wth.

I wonder if Underhill would make any tweeks or suggestions for him, or if he's a case, where, just leave his style alone, or it could make it worse.

Edit: Just had an idea, does Engvall maybe have a bit of that 'Bobby Orr knee bend' going on in his skating; it's so weird, yet, we know he's fast???
He is a better NHL player than AHL player. One of the rare few. We will see if he can be our #3 centre but it looks promising from start. He plays well into our possession game.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Great deal. Too bad it wasn't for 3-4 years instead of only 2. But cap hit is fantastic for what he brings.

Now if only he can get Kerfoot and Johnsson traded to fill other holes. Engvall should be our 3rd line center next year with Spezza as the 4th line center.

Ridding ourselves of Kerfoot and Johnsson can help fill voids on D and 3rd line/4th line type wingers.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If they can get Mikheyev for less than $2 million, that will mean that both Engvall and Mikheyev contracts would total the same or less than any of Johnsson, Kap, or Kerfoot.

That will open up even more room to spend on D.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Or kerfoot for that matter. Engvall looks better at C than kerfoot does

Kerfoot looka much better as a winger for sure. But his creativity is something that we shouldnt give up on. Much rather keep him then AJ and thats with part of me saying we havent seen the best from AJ yet. We just have other morw pressing needs. He hasnt been in the lineup for a long time and hasnt really kept his spot so to speak imho

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Why do we still need Johnsson at over $3 million AAV?
We dont. It's a real shame he had to get injured. I was banking on his 3.4 million getting moved before the deadline. Johnsson has flashes of being an effective players, then he disappears and literally does nothing for like 4, 5, 6 games in a row. Engvall has made him very expendable, and I'm sure Johnsson is dealt in the summer.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Is Pierre Engvall dead? Looks like he might never get an opportunity this season based on people's (HFBoard Leaf Fans) line construction.

Why is Jimmy Vesey in and Engvall gone gone gone? Did TOR prematurely sign Engvall to a too big a contract?

Will Keefe invent a 5th line for Engvall to play on?

Reactions: saffronleaf

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Is Pierre Engvall dead? Looks like he might never get an opportunity this season based on people's (HFBoard Leaf Fans) line construction.

Why is Jimmy Vesey in and Engvall gone gone gone?
Did TOR prematurely sign Engvall to a too big a contract?

shinny new toy

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
There is enough cap room for Pierre with a 21 man roster, replacing him with a 700K contract doesn't change the amount of players you can carry if Lehtonen is the 7th D. He earned his deal last year. He will be a staple on the PK, they do need someone to do it. He may be able to gain strength in the circle with Malholtra in house. The only way he starts in the AHL is if someone like Robertson comes in and looks too good to send down. At that point they could use Engvall's waiver exemption as an asset and yo-yo him up and down from the Marlies for this season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Why is Jimmy Vesey in and Engvall gone gone gone? Did TOR prematurely sign Engvall to a too big a contract?

Thankfully, HF Board Leaf Fans, don't have a say in lineups etc.... Engvall's contract is too big, in the Covid era, but we didn't know that at the time... really, Holl is lucky he extended before Covid too. Both are useful players though. Engvall's place in the lineup, really is up to him... There is plenty of competition for spots, so either be ready to take the spot, or sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->