Pick Two: Nylander and/or Johnsson and/or Kapanen and/or Perhaps Ennis (New Poll)

Pick 2 of the following. Let management worry about the Cap.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lol. First you tell me that raw production is not the way to assess a player then in the next breath say his point totals in his last 15 games is fine.

As well this whole post is full of contradictions. He is playing with terrible wingers yet his production the last 15 games is fine! Lol. Then you say you there is no bias in numbers but you proceeded to tell me there were previously.

His last 15 games points are 8 which is .53 ppg and is a 44 point season. Which supports my opinion. That Willy is having a horrible season. How ever having said that these are very similar numbers as last year when Mathews was hurt. At 7m per he should be producing much better. The excuse of missing the start of the year should be long gone. He had 17 points in 40 games and even with your last 15 game sample size of him and you saying it is close to what we should expect is laughable. Marleau who you included in the horrible wingers who he is playing with has the same production as Nylander in those 15 games. I call that attempting to suck and blow at the same time.

The soft part of your post has nothing to do with what I have said. He fails to attack the middle of the ice, which limits his linemates abilities to be dangerous. He will not get to pucks first if there is a chance to get hit. Yes he battles for pucks once along the boards. I was at last nights game and he pulled the chute twice when he clearly could have gotten to pucks first. He did make a very nice pass. Otherwise he was not very good coughing up pucks and several turnovers on the PP.

Why not admit he is having a horrible season. You said Kadri is slumping but his production is superior to Nylander thus far.
Yes I said that his point totals over the last 15 games are fine. The point is that has little to no bearing on what I think of his play over the last 15 games. What I'm arguing is that he's playing good hockey lately which is supported by almost anything you want to look at with the exception of raw point totals. Try and understand the context of his situation a bit. He comes in mid-season and has to shake off some rust (something impossible to avoid if you haven't played against NHL level competition for 8 months). This takes a few games then he starts to look better, but the puck doesn't go in for him or his linemates. By this point he's among the best possession players on the team night in and night out, and is getting amongst the most individual scoring chances on the team. Kadri goes down with injury so he takes over his role playing with Marleau and Brown who are both offensive black holes (supported by advanced stats btw) and gets little to no powerplay time with scrubs on his unit. How many points do you realistically expect a 60 point player to put up in those circumstances? It's clear you rely way too much on point totals when evaluating players when they are often strongly correlated with luck and opportunity. I look forward to seeing Willy prove you wrong shortly.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Don't leave off Hyman. You'll need him now more than ever since Matthews doesn't bother to play defense any more.

Hyman is useful, but he’s a passenger offensively.

Imo a Johnsson -Matthews-Nylander line has the potential to be on of the top in the NHL

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yes I said that his point totals over the last 15 games are fine. The point is that has little to no bearing on what I think of his play over the last 15 games. What I'm arguing is that he's playing good hockey lately which is supported by almost anything you want to look at with the exception of raw point totals. Try and understand the context of his situation a bit. He comes in mid-season and has to shake off some rust (something impossible to avoid if you haven't played against NHL level competition for 8 months). This takes a few games then he starts to look better, but the puck doesn't go in for him or his linemates. By this point he's among the best possession players on the team night in and night out, and is getting amongst the most individual scoring chances on the team. Kadri goes down with injury so he takes over his role playing with Marleau and Brown who are both offensive black holes (supported by advanced stats btw) and gets little to no powerplay time with scrubs on his unit. How many points do you realistically expect a 60 point player to put up in those circumstances? It's clear you rely way too much on point totals when evaluating players when they are often strongly correlated with luck and opportunity. I look forward to seeing Willy prove you wrong shortly.
Little to no Pp time what a joke. I rely on what helps us win. What can be measured on the score board.

I will also point out he has been playing highly sheltered minutes. So QOC is low as our top two lines play against the other teams best.

So basically what you are telling me is that he is looking good creating nothing and as soon as we play him with a top center he will produce. As would anyone.

Reactions: mclaren55 and dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So basically what you are telling me is that he is looking good creating nothing and as soon as we play him with a top center he will produce. As would anyone.
What he is saying is that it doesn't matter if you're terrific at getting the puck out of your own zone, transition the puck really well, and then set up a ton of shots and chances if you're not on the ice with somebody who can finish them. Part of that is on Willy of course. He's not scoring enough for the chances he gets. But if he's doing all that I mentioned and still not getting production from it, perhaps there's something else that's wrong.

Before Kadri went down, Nylander led the entire league in even strength point per 60. Playing a playmaker with people who can take advantage of his passing is a good thing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What he is saying is that it doesn't matter if you're terrific at getting the puck out of your own zone, transition the puck really well, and then set up a ton of shots and chances if you're not on the ice with somebody who can finish them. Part of that is on Willy of course. He's not scoring enough for the chances he gets. But if he's doing all that I mentioned and still not getting production from it, perhaps there's something else that's wrong.

Before Kadri went down, Nylander led the entire league in even strength point per 60. Playing a playmaker with people who can take advantage of his passing is a good thing.
Nylander lead the League in even strength points per 60 this year. lol in what time frame?

Reactions: RLF and ToneDog

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Little to no Pp time what a joke. I rely on what helps us win. What can be measured on the score board.

I will also point out he has been playing highly sheltered minutes. So QOC is low as our top two lines play against the other teams best.

In his rookie year he was one of the league's most productive players then got rewarded with a demotion. In what way does demoting one of the league's better powerplay producers on a per minute basis in his rookie season help a team win? I'm saying he's looking good and the chances he's generating are being wasted by bad line mates at the moment.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Nylander is slowly crawling back to where we thought he'd be.

first 20 games: 3 points (12 point pace)

last 20 games: 14 points (57 point pace)

That should get better playing with Kadri again.

Playing the last 9 games with Marleau and Brown and still managing a point in 75% of the games while being a zone entry god is pretty impressive.

If he saves his best production of the season for the playoffs it could be the difference vs. the Bruins.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
All I know is this 14 minute/night stuff with Nylander needs to stop.
Either you play him with Matthews or you play him at C.
If not, trade him for a D that plays 20 minutes/night.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Nahh, trade Brown and Zaitsev and we are all good on the cap.
Although I have to say Zaitsev lately has looked as horrific when playing with Muzzin.
Best news is that Hainsey is gone after this season. The only way to stop Babs from playing with his toys is by taking them away ala Polak.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Although I have to say Zaitsev lately has looked as horrific when playing with Muzzin.
Best news is that Hainsey is gone after this season. The only way to stop Babs from playing with his toys is by taking them away ala Polak.

If that’s the bottom line then you have the wrong coach.
GM + coach should be somewhat on the same page.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
From when he started putting up points to when Kadri was hurt.
Nylander has been playing great, I really think that he should be on Matthews wing however. Matthews said at some point he wants more assists, but the reality is with Nylander he will get more goals as Nylander is a god-level zone entry player, to hell with the dump and chase strategies. Kappy is great, but a mismatch with Matthews.
I would love to see Johnnson-Matthews-Nylander.

Reactions: Menzinger

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nylander has been playing great, I really think that he should be on Matthews wing however. Matthews said at some point he wants more assists, but the reality is with Nylander he will get more goals as Nylander is a god-level zone entry player, to hell with the dump and chase strategies. Kappy is great, but a mismatch with Matthews.
I would love to see Johnnson-Matthews-Nylander.
The Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen line has kind of hit a wall IMO.
Perfect time to get Nylander (who should be more than up to NHL speed), back on the line.

Reactions: RLF and Macallan18

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I think generally they are, but Babs has his weaknesses, and Dubas has to call the shots.
If Hainsey is gone, I don't think Babs will revolt, Hainsey is slow and getting more useless as time goes on.
If you want to know who Babs will really miss, it will be Gardiner.
Unlike many posters on this board, Babs understands that Gardiner is a star, and plays him that way. Hopefully some of our kids like Sandin and Lilly will step up soon to help fill the massive void.
And I like Muzzin, but he's no Jake G. Head to head Babs played Jake M third pairing behind Jake G.
Now that I think about it, that is a huge mark in Babs favour I have to remember every time he plays Hainsey too much.

Reactions: Menzinger

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Meant to say Zaitsev has NOT looked horrific, my bad.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Why is Ennis in this poll? I think most people can agree that Ennis will be in another NHL uniform next year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If had the choice of only keeping 2 it would be Nylander and Kapanen. My preference is to keep all 3 though. If we are attempting to get something back though on the back end, Kapanen may give us better value if traded. I also can see Johnsson being cheaper to retain, and there is a need on the LW as we have replacements for Kapanen on the RW in players like Bracco and Moore.

Again if it were my choice I would keep all 3 with others being moved out to make room.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
HOW DOES KAPPY HAVE MORE VOTES THAN WILLY?

Jeeeeeesus guys. Stop under appreciating the guy. Keep Willy - Johnsson because Willy is our #2 RW and our #3 C (yes including Kadri IMO) and Johnsson is by far our best LW. Would never want to lose Kappy but his value > Johnssons and our teams RW>LW by far. Bracco comes up to fill the spot on Kadri's RW and Willy pops onto Matthews' line.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
HOW DOES KAPPY HAVE MORE VOTES THAN WILLY?

Jeeeeeesus guys. Stop under appreciating the guy. Keep Willy - Johnsson because Willy is our #2 RW and our #3 C (yes including Kadri IMO) and Johnsson is by far our best LW. Would never want to lose Kappy but his value > Johnssons and our teams RW>LW by far. Bracco comes up to fill the spot on Kadri's RW and Willy pops onto Matthews' line.

Kappy and Marner have become excellent PKers. Kappy does not get enough credit for his play/value on the PK. I would wait to see who shows up against Chara and the Bruins before I made any decisions as to who stays and who goes. I am willing to bet that Kappy will not be not a no-show.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nylander is slowly crawling back to where we thought he'd be.

first 20 games: 3 points (12 point pace)

last 20 games: 14 points (57 point pace)

That should get better playing with Kadri again.

Playing the last 9 games with Marleau and Brown and still managing a point in 75% of the games while being a zone entry god is pretty impressive.

If he saves his best production of the season for the playoffs it could be the difference vs. the Bruins.
Last 20 is 13 points I believe. Which is a 53 point pace.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Kappy and Marner have become excellent PKers. Kappy does not get enough credit for his play/value on the PK. I would wait to see who shows up against Chara and the Bruins before I made any decisions as to who stays and who goes. I am willing to bet that Kappy will not be not a no-show.
Just hoping Kadri and whoever the LW show up for Willy in the playoffs. Been playing so well for so long now just can't get anyone to finish.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just hoping Kadri and whoever the LW show up for Willy in the playoffs. Been playing so well for so long now just can't get anyone to finish.

Better yet. Hopefully Babs will have move Nylander up with Matthews by then and everybody elevates their game, we knock off the Bruins and Dubas clears up enough cap space to keep everybody.

Reactions: RLF and diceman934

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad