Pick Two: Nylander and/or Johnsson and/or Kapanen and/or Perhaps Ennis (New Poll)

Pick 2 of the following. Let management worry about the Cap.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You’re the only one in this thread to say such a thing
It’s almost as if raw production is a flawed way of evaluating players...
Right I am the one who stated that goals and assists are meaningless.

Nylander is having a bad year stats wise and it bothers you and now resorting to using possession stats or any other stat that shows him in a good light. Well that is all fine and good but until it helps us win and shows up on the score board it remains useless.

Reactions: ToneDog and dsred

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Something I'd like to see happen if we are forced to trade 1 of Kapanen or Johnsson and cannot recoup/afford a Top 4 D is to trade it for a pick in the 11-15th range to select Arthur Kaliyev. Kid looks like he would compliment Matthews for years, maybe even right out of the gate too at ELC salary.

Ex Johnsson + 3rd or 2nd to Colorado for their 10th-15th overall pick

Reactions: Eric bungay

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Right I am the one who stated that goals and assists are meaningless.

Nylander is having a bad year stats wise and it bothers you and now resorting to using possession stats or any other stat that shows him in a good light. Well that is all fine and good but until it helps us win and shows up on the score board it remains useless.

He’s not having a bad year stats wise though. His production numbers are below expectations, nobody is denying that, his others numbers look much better.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He’s not having a bad year stats wise though. His production numbers are below expectations, nobody is denying that, his others numbers look much better.
HilariousTotalBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think we are gonna have a tough time keeping both Johnsson and Kapanen. Everything I have seen points to a Kapanen extension getting done first, but Johnsson makes more sense to keep based on handedness and if the Leafs truly believe in Bracco.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'd keep Willy and Johnsson if I could only have 2.

Willy cos he's the best of the lot.

AJ cos he's a goal scorer and a LW. I think Kapanen probably has bigger trade value too right now to get a good return.

Would like to keep all three though.

I think Ennis is gone for a good contract elsewhere, which he's earned.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
yeah what we would like and what will happen are most likely 2 very different things , I would like to keep three using the savings from trading 1, with the balance going yo retaing Gards .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The poll is moot because management has shown the Matthews,Tavares,Nylander and Marner will be signed and retained as the core.

Rielly + Andersen on the back end.

Everyone else is open for business.

Now the above 6 will need to prove when the playoffs come knocking, they can answer.
If not, then you start looking at the core.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Not really sure what Babcock is doing by playing both Johnsson and Kapanen with Matthews. Are we trying to drive Kapanen's price up?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Nylander and Johnnson. Nylander is the best of the three by a big margin and AJ plays a position of need and seems to be more skilled overall than Kap.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Marleau is not the 2nd highest paid player on the team. JT and Nylander have him beat by millions.
When has Nylander slump ended? He is still producing among our bottom forwards.
Using exclusively raw production to tell people how "badly" Nylander is playing tells me all I need to know. His point totals are a result of 1.) Catching up to mid-season players after not playing an NHL game for 8 months and 2.) Playing with arguably the two worst wingers on the team this season and a slumping Kadri. His point totals have bumped up closer to what you'd expect over his last 15 games and his analytics have been amongst the best on the team for a while now. He's not playing soft, plays good neutral zone defense, and is getting the puck back much more than in seasons past. It's only a matter of time before a points explosion is coming, especially if he gets to play with Matthews. You don't seem to grasp that analytics are meant to be used as a predictor of what that player will bring going forward assuming they keep playing the same way. It's not perfect but I trust them more than the eye test for the simple fact that there is no bias in numbers.

Reactions: Menzinger

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
The Nylander worshippers fall into one of three categories:

1) Kids who are 12 or younger.
2) People who have never played at a level above houseleague.
3) Nylander family members.

He has had a terrible season and will continue to get exposed on the playoffs. Kapanen will thrive in playoffs.

Reactions: ToneDog

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Using exclusively raw production to tell people how "badly" Nylander is playing tells me all I need to know. His point totals are a result of 1.) Catching up to mid-season players after not playing an NHL game for 8 months and 2.) Playing with arguably the two worst wingers on the team this season and a slumping Kadri. His point totals have bumped up closer to what you'd expect over his last 15 games and his analytics have been amongst the best on the team for a while now. He's not playing soft, plays good neutral zone defense, and is getting the puck back much more than in seasons past. It's only a matter of time before a points explosion is coming, especially if he gets to play with Matthews. You don't seem to grasp that analytics are meant to be used as a predictor of what that player will bring going forward assuming they keep playing the same way. It's not perfect but I trust them more than the eye test for the simple fact that there is no bias in numbers.

It’s only a matter of time for sure. Kappy is going to have more goals in his first year, than Willie has had in an NHL season. Will Nylander ever hit 25 goals? I have my doubts.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I just find it amusing that all that is needed is to move Willy back to Matthews line and we'll repeat 2016-2018. Never mind that Matthews floats now and the only backchecking he does is found on youtube videos. Never mind that Hyman plays on the Tavares line now. Never mind that Auston has no one timer and teams have figured out how to prevent him from shooting in his favorite spot, even when we have the man advantage. Denial is strong.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
they will all be leafs for many years.

That is why we have a farm team and that is why scouting matters, and that is why teams like the Leafs that have considerably more money than they are allowed to spend on players should unashamedly have the best scouting staff

Max Millions or League Minimum, no middle class, the NHL PA needs to photocopy the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement and photocopy it and the NHL PA needs to get some veteran exception to avoid premature cap created career ending tears

If the Edmonton Oilers offer sheet one of the Leafs players, and if the Leafs get back 4 consecutive first-round draft picks, you would have to consider it, as the Oilers have a knack for management gaff

We will sign all our young guns, and keep them but the middle class is done, replaced with players from the KHL, AHL and NCAA, and the Leafs will be drinking Champagne, and everyone else, beers.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
You know. We developed and patiently waited for the big returns on Kappy and Johnsson, it would really puke me out to see them leave because of the cap.

We have been tracking Johnsson for what? Five or six years, tracking his progress?

I thought the poor guy was done after getting concussed by that thug from the Tampa organization.

His parents must be so proud of him, heck, I am proud of him, a small guy drafted in the seventh round and look at him now.

Guy is a tribute. I would love to have a dinner with him .

Pick his brain on his determination to succeed.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I just find it amusing that all that is needed is to move Willy back to Matthews line and we'll repeat 2016-2018. Never mind that Matthews floats now and the only backchecking he does is found on youtube videos. Never mind that Hyman plays on the Tavares line now. Never mind that Auston has no one timer and teams have figured out how to prevent him from shooting in his favorite spot, even when we have the man advantage. Denial is strong.

Denial is pretending that the Matthews-Nylander tandem WASNT one of the top even strength forces in the NHL in that 2016-2018 period

Not that i wvwn agree with your assessment of Matthews (he’s fine), but generally speaking if you do believe he’s struggling putting together two skilled guys is a good way to get them going: happens all the time across the league.

Edit: fixed awkward wording

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Denial is pretending that the Matthews-Nylander tandem WASNT one of the top even strength forces in the NHL in that 2016-2018 period

Not that i wvwn agree with your assessment of Matthews (he’s fine), but generally speaking if you do believe he’s struggling the together skilled guys is a good way to get them going: happens all the time across the league.
Don't leave off Hyman. You'll need him now more than ever since Matthews doesn't bother to play defense any more.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lol. First you tell me that raw production is not the way to assess a player then in the next breath say his point totals in his last 15 games is fine.

As well this whole post is full of contradictions. He is playing with terrible wingers yet his production the last 15 games is fine! Lol. Then you say you there is no bias in numbers but you proceeded to tell me there were previously.

His last 15 games points are 8 which is .53 ppg and is a 44 point season. Which supports my opinion. That Willy is having a horrible season. How ever having said that these are very similar numbers as last year when Mathews was hurt. At 7m per he should be producing much better. The excuse of missing the start of the year should be long gone. He had 17 points in 40 games and even with your last 15 game sample size of him and you saying it is close to what we should expect is laughable. Marleau who you included in the horrible wingers who he is playing with has the same production as Nylander in those 15 games. I call that attempting to suck and blow at the same time.

The soft part of your post has nothing to do with what I have said. He fails to attack the middle of the ice, which limits his linemates abilities to be dangerous. He will not get to pucks first if there is a chance to get hit. Yes he battles for pucks once along the boards. I was at last nights game and he pulled the chute twice when he clearly could have gotten to pucks first. He did make a very nice pass. Otherwise he was not very good coughing up pucks and several turnovers on the PP.

Why not admit he is having a horrible season. You said Kadri is slumping but his production is superior to Nylander thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad