Pick Two: Nylander and/or Johnsson and/or Kapanen and/or Perhaps Ennis (New Poll)

Pick 2 of the following. Let management worry about the Cap.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nice yet Marleau has 8 points in his last 12 games and Willy 6. Marleau is not a corpse at all.

I remember Marincin being considered a great D pick up because of advance stats. Well the game is much different that just advance stats.

Nylander is not driving production at all as if he was his stats would clearly show he is. What he has been doing is skating with the puck a lot while not accomplishing much of anything as clearly supported by his lack of production. Skating on the perimeter of the ice without creating offence is what he has been good at thus far. Stats without context are worthless.

His skill is on display but so is his lack of effectiveness been at the same time.

But this isn’t an accurate description of the majority of his play this year: it’s a lazy label that seems to get thrown at him no matter what he does on the ice.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Your avatar has reminded me that I have to fix a toilet at our rental property.

Thanks.
It's funny because spell check corrected "Babcock" to "Ballcock". I made my avatar a ballcock because we're probably flushing this season down the toilet keeping him.

Sweet serendipity....

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So while he has been disappointing in production, it's very silly to say who's dragging around who's corpse when it's very evident Marleau is the corpse on the line and team lol.

Nylander in the past month (excluding Kadri) is 1st in GF% on the team and 1st in CF%. He's driving play like crazy. We've all seen that when watching too. Nylander's individual CF% is in between Kadri/Kapanen and Tavares/Marner, while Marleau's is in between Hyman and Gauthiers at the bottom lol.

Exactly.

People harp on the Marleau contract because he’s a depth guy whose the 3 highest paid forward on the team (technically 2nd highest this season) and seems to constrain the effectiveness of his higher skilled linemates.

I don’t think anybody was happy with Nylanders scoring slump to start the season but everyone with half a brain realized it was just temporary

horner

May 22, 2007
Nice yet Marleau has 8 points in his last 12 games and Willy 6. Marleau is not a corpse at all.

I remember Marincin being considered a great D pick up because of advance stats. Well the game is much different that just advance stats.

Nylander is not driving production at all as if he was his stats would clearly show he is. What he has been doing is skating with the puck a lot while not accomplishing much of anything as clearly supported by his lack of production. Skating on the perimeter of the ice without creating offence is what he has been good at thus far. Stats without context are worthless.

His skill is on display but so is his lack of effectiveness been at the same time.
I agree

We wont win a cup on advanced stats.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
But this isn’t an accurate description of the majority of his play this year: it’s a lazy label that seems to get thrown at him no matter what he does on the ice.
It is not a lazy label but the truth. He is a perimeter player who never attacks the middle of the ice and and when he has possession of the puck it is mostly on the outside of the dots.

His slump is not over it is 39 games and counting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog and dsred

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Exactly.

People harp on the Marleau contract because he’s a depth guy whose the 3 highest paid forward on the team (technically 2nd highest this season) and seems to constrain the effectiveness of his higher skilled linemates.

I don’t think anybody was happy with Nylanders scoring slump to start the season but everyone with half a brain realized it was just temporary
Marleau is not the 2nd highest paid player on the team. JT and Nylander have him beat by millions.
When has Nylander slump ended? He is still producing among our bottom forwards.

Reactions: ToneDog

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We must be watching different games.
I watch the games on the TV from this year that clearly show that he is playing a perimeter game while producing at closer to the bottom of our forward group this year while getting sheltered minutes right now as a center.
His stats support that his contribution to the team currently are very poor and support my opinion.

Yes he is good at skating around the perimeter with the puck. But what is he creating off of this ....not much of anything right now.

Reactions: ToneDog

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm totally fine putting my eggs in the Nylander basket.

He's being criminally underrated by the majority of this fanbase nowadays. It's not without reason granted, but I got a feeling he's gonna make a lot of people eat crow next year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marleau is not the 2nd highest paid player on the team. JT and Nylander have him beat by millions.
When has Nylander slump ended? He is still producing among our bottom forwards.

You’re right: 3rd highest.

Nylander’s production hasn’t been as strong this season as expected (though much of this as we know has to do with his freakishly slow start for the first 15-20 games), but he doesn’t drag linemates the way Marleau has. He’s been a possession driver on whatever line he’s been played with:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If he ever wants to ride Matthews coattails again, he might want to think about showing up for training camp next year in really good physical shape. Assuming he's still here of course.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm totally fine putting my eggs in the Nylander basket.

He's being criminally underrated by the majority of this fanbase nowadays. It's not without reason granted, but I got a feeling he's gonna make a lot of people eat crow next year.
Not manny people have stated that Nylander is not capable of producing better but for poster to keep posting right now that he is among our best players is wrong. Hell one poster even attempted to say he had 12 points in his last 16 games to prop him up.

As for underrating him. I say he is getting overrated base on his lack of production. We are posting base on his play currently and no crow needs to be eaten unless a person stated that Nylander will never get X amout of points or that player X is better then him.

If that was the case then the Nylander cheerleaders should still be busy eatting crow as they constantly said that he was better then Marner. Best get busy eating is what I say to all of them.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You’re right: 3rd highest.

Nylander’s production hasn’t been as strong this season as expected (though much of this as we know has to do with his freakishly slow start for the first 15-20 games), but he doesn’t drag linemates the way Marleau has. He’s been a possession driver on whatever line he’s been played with:
When has his production increased?

Marleau plays a much different game then Nylander always has. Possession stats are great if they lead to offensive and they are not. He has played several games with Mathews thus far and nothing. Same with Kadri and not much. He has not played much with Marleau at all yet you want to blame Marleau. It has only been the last 6 games that he has play with Marleau why are you blaming him for the 33 games before that.

We all know that Nylander is capable of much better production but until he does we should not simply accept his lack of production.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Kind of an asinine poll to be honest, who doesn't pick Willie without worrying about the cap hit? A total maroon? What's the point of this poll. Can't even be bothered to vote.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When has his production increased?

Marleau plays a much different game then Nylander always has. Possession stats are great if they lead to offensive and they are not. He has played several games with Mathews thus far and nothing. Same with Kadri and not much. He has not played much with Marleau at all yet you want to blame Marleau. It has only been the last 6 games that he has play with Marleau why are you blaming him for the 33 games before that.

We all know that Nylander is capable of much better production but until he does we should not simply accept his lack of production.

I’m not “blaming” Marleau for Nylander’s production levels, I was making a general evaluation of Marleau’s current impact on this team.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Not manny people have stated that Nylander is not capable of producing better but for poster to keep posting right now that he is among our best players is wrong. Hell one poster even attempted to say he had 12 points in his last 16 games to prop him up.

As for underrating him. I say he is getting overrated base on his lack of production. We are posting base on his play currently and no crow needs to be eaten unless a person stated that Nylander will never get X amout of points or that player X is better then him.

If that was the case then the Nylander cheerleaders should still be busy eatting crow as they constantly said that he was better then Marner. Best get busy eating is what I say to all of them.

Cause he needs more ice-time. I know you and your ilk love to say ice-time / linemates are just stupid excuses, but they're totally valid. Why are you judging him on raw production when his ice-time is so low? Makes no sense and it's not fair. Not to mention he's stuck on that stupid 2nd PP unit.

I will bet legitimate money that if he got proper usage along with being back on Matthews' line, he would be producing great.

And I don't even wanna get into these blatantly false things like him being soft and avoiding contact. You could say that in December and January, but that is just not the case anymore. Look at his highlights since February and look at how he's bodying off defenders, being strong on the puck, and *gasp* winning puck battles and finding the open man. It's all there for anyone to see.

Reactions: Menzinger

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
It's funny because spell check corrected "Babcock" to "Ballcock". I made my avatar a ballcock because we're probably flushing this season down the toilet keeping him.

Sweet serendipity....

"I see a thousand flushes in your future" from Nostradamus's brother Jean. Who just happened to be the local plumber

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You spent a lot of time trying to rationalize his dramatic overpayment.
So now your eyes are telling you what you want to see. None of the actual numbers back you up. But that won't stop you. You're still going to see what you want to see.

Nylanders numbers speak for themselves. Claiming he's "unlucky" isn't even an argument, because 7 million dollar players shouldn't have to rely on "luck" in the first place.

horner

May 22, 2007
It is not a lazy label but the truth. He is a perimeter player who never attacks the middle of the ice and and when he has possession of the puck it is mostly on the outside of the dots.

His slump is not over it is 39 games and counting.
He skates around the offensive zone but dosent go to the net.

Reactions: diceman934

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
hey another one!

Role reduced, linemates reduced, and subsequently, production reduced!

It's almost like when you give players less ice-time and usage, they produce less points! What a ****ing concept.
You could also argue that, with the other teams focusing on the Tavares and Matthews lines, Nylander should have free rein out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad