Phoenix XLIX; Smoke & Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Relevant, how?
I don't know, some other Winnipeg poster was going off about the ROC paying for the QC arena, when even if that was true, he would not be paying for it. But PS brings up Ontario even though I cleared that so I don't know how ON is relevant.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Actually, plan D is the plan that will happen, plan B will never happen, plan C does not exist, and plan A is going to fall apart.
The NHL is invested in Phoenix. They've already put this much time - and more importantly, money! - into a team with no owner that was bleeding money. They're going to see it through to a new owner in this market.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The NHL is invested in Phoenix. They've already put this much time - and more importantly, money! - into a team with no owner that was bleeding money. They're going to see it through to a new owner in this market.
Exactly.

I think this gets done. I was rooting for QC but I'm not mad Phoenix gets to keep their team at all, stability is good.

My worry is that this does not get solved and the lockout arrives, scaring off any buyers for good because it shows the NHL is unstable.

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010

They are invested in the team but if they don't get their money they will leave. While an agreement might get done, when it comes down to it the NHL has shown it is willing to leave the market; they were minutes from moving this team to Winnipeg.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Exactly.

I think this gets done. I was rooting for QC but I'm not mad Phoenix gets to keep their team at all, stability is good.

My worry is that this does not get solved and the lockout arrives, scaring off any buyers for good because it shows the NHL is unstable.

How is keeping a team in a market where the team has yet to make a profit in 16 years a good thing? Why would the other franchise owners want to keep propping this thing up when the team could be moved to a city like QC where they would be successful and in the top 10 in league revenue like the other 7 Canadian franchises.

You do know that team revenue for the Coyotes is about $50 million a year while expenditures are around $85 million and this with a team near the bottom in salary cap. Please explain how new ownership turns this around.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The NHL is invested in Phoenix. They're going to see it through to a new owner in this market.

Yes they have, & Id' "like" to believe that KJP, however, my cynicism says "not so much". Theyve' had the ways & means to get this done for quite some time. When any business or individual with serious money & the ability to take the bull by the horns & effect change takes this much time youve just gotta figure their no longer looking for a way in, their looking for a way out.

Last edited:

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010

You may be right KJP; however, financially, I just do not see it happening. If Phoenix is saved, I will be the first to admit I was wrong; however, I think you will be very surprised when the team moves after the Yotes are out of the playoffs.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Winnipeg to get a second NHL team??????

You may be right KJP; however, financially, I just do not see it happening. If Phoenix is saved, I will be the first to admit I was wrong; however, I think you will be very surprised when the team moves after the Yotes are out of the playoffs.

Winnipeg to get a second team after the Yotes are out of the playoffs????? Wayne Gretzsky says it doesn't look good right now (for Coyotes to stay)...

[edit: oh never mind that was LAST year... *snicker*]

deja vu all over again?

we'll know for sure... in another two weeks... :p:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I'd be surprised if it happens, given all the times they've almost moved only to be saved at the last second despite nobody with serious actual money wanting to make a play for the team.

Whether or not Jamieson is the guy remains to be seen; however, I still think the NHL has one last and final ace up their sleeves to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix if everything comes crashing down again.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
given the size of the seasons tickets waiting list, i could see a 2nd team in winnipeg being quite successful. ;)

...hey, mightve' happened. Remember, unknown to the COG while Bill Daly was up in front of Council deman, sorry, requesting an extension and another $25M or the team just might wind up in Manitoba, Gary Bettman was in Georgia overseeing the sale of the Thrashers to TNSE. Had Glendale known it was all bluff & called the league on it, who knows?.

I hear Brandons' really nice, mebbe Winkler, which oddly is where everyone goes to buy their cars out there.... :)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
given the size of the seasons tickets waiting list, i could see a 2nd team in winnipeg being quite successful. ;)

The Winnipeg franchise may have more people on the waiting list than Coyotes have STH.

I see the dog continues to chase its tail. Some news, unreliable news, semi-reliable news, rumours, facts. A real stew of information and misinformatiion out there making for a very tasty dish.

Here's an idea as I have mentioned before. Some crack reporter call GJ and ask for an interview.

Questions

#1 Have you now secured all the necessary investors to close the deal? if not are you continuing to search for investors?

#2 Has the NHL completed its due dilligence on all the investors? as at the meet and greet L'ill Gary mentioned the NHL continuing its due dilligence on investors.

#3 At the meet and greet both yourself and L'ill Gary mentioned that the completion of the deal was weeks away not months. Considering that timeline will this deal be wrapped up in the next 2 weeks?

#4 When can we expect to see a copy of the lease and what are your expectations on a date of a COG vote to finalize the lease agreement?

Not too difficult really.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
...hey, mightve' happened. Remember, unknown to the COG while Bill Daly was up in front of Council deman, sorry, requesting an extension and another $25M or the team just might wind up in Manitoba, Gary Bettman was in Georgia overseeing the sale of the Thrashers to TNSE. Had Glendale known it was all bluff & called the league on it, who knows?.

I hear Brandons' really nice, mebbe Winkler, which oddly is where everyone goes to buy their cars out there.... :)

You're thinking of Steinbach.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
The Winnipeg franchise may have more people on the waiting list than Coyotes have STH.

I see the dog continues to chase its tail. Some news, unreliable news, semi-reliable news, rumours, facts. A real stew of information and misinformatiion out there making for a very tasty dish.

Here's an idea as I have mentioned before. Some crack reporter call GJ and ask for an interview.

Questions

#1 Have you now secured all the necessary investors to close the deal? if not are you continuing to search for investors?

#2 Has the NHL completed its due dilligence on all the investors? as at the meet and greet L'ill Gary mentioned the NHL continuing its due dilligence on investors.

#3 At the meet and greet both yourself and L'ill Gary mentioned that the completion of the deal was weeks away not months. Considering that timeline will this deal be wrapped up in the next 2 weeks?

#4 When can we expect to see a copy of the lease and what are your expectations on a date of a COG vote to finalize the lease agreement?

Not too difficult really.

Unless it's more stringent than the IEH days, that should take all of two minutes.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Unless it's more stringent than the IEH days, that should take all of two minutes.

...well, just a cottonpickin' minute here!. Didnt the NHL tighten up their vetting procedures after Rigas et al & retain the services of Pinkertons (literally) to investigate ALL applicants (invasively) regardless of minority status or not?. :skeptic:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
They were told on both instances a deal was very close to being done and might not even need to put up the money at all. So why not wait until you absolutely have to put it into a budget if there's a chance it won't be needed?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Your imagination is UNREAL!

The COG balked at the payment and it wasn't until the NHL showed them how ready they were to leave that COG made the payment, a payment they NEW was gonna screw their budget if it was ever used...and guess what IT DID!!!!!!!!

You all "Down there" might have known that COG would pay but the NHL, and TNSE both seemed pretty sure they weren't gonna, hence the presser in MTS centre that was cancelled at the last minute.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
...well, just a cottonpickin' minute here!. Didnt the NHL tighten up their vetting procedures after Rigas et al & retain the services of Pinkertons (literally) to investigate ALL applicants (invasively) regardless of minority status or not?. :skeptic:

I think Jameson gets less scrutiny because he is already in the club.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
<insert gratuitous Boots comment here>

So Jameson gets even less than that. See below:

Scrutiny for someone in the club:

NHL - Dude you aren't a criminal are you

Owner - No I'm not

NHL - OK we're good

Scrutiny for someone not in the club:

NHL - Dude you aren't a criminal are you

Owner - No I'm not

NHL - You sure

Owner - Yeah I'm sure

NHL - OK we're good

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!

Winkler or as the Meno's call it.... "Vinkler" is home to the largest influx of illegal Mexican labor in Canada. Mennonites don't like to pay full pull for anything. Even Dustin Penner has a Mexican boy to tape his sticks to save on extra costs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad