Phoenix XLIX; Smoke & Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanley cucup

Apr 5, 2012
Completely out of line the french speaking line. Enjoy your last game ever in the desert tomorrow. Hockey never belonged in there in the first place. But, on a positive side, you'll still have the Cards, Backs, Suns and NCAA to cheer for. And the Oscar goes to....Greg Jamison, for his role in «I faked the money»

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Ha. No worse than a state who would fire someone for not speaking French. :shakehead

For my Glendale colleague, here's the fact.

Never a coach was "fired" because he was not speaking french in my province.

If you're talking about Cunneyworth, take note he was hired on a interim basis for the rest of the current season. Therefore, he was not "fired".

Now, to have a Habs coach who does not speak french, especially in MTL, would be totally unrespectful to their fans and as stupid and innapropriate as one in Phoenix who would not speak english, or a Real Madrid coach not speaking spanish.

Want a exemple of what should a good fella do? Jesse March, coach of the MLS Impact, learning basic french at the speed of light. Don't ask this to Saku Koivu who was not able to learn a simple sentence in more then 10 years.

Hoping this will open up the ideas and conceptions of culture and society of many people.

Enjoy hockey!

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Now, to have a Habs coach who does not speak french, especially in MTL, would be totally unrespectful to their fans and as stupid and innapropriate as one in Phoenix who would not speak english, or a Real Madrid coach not speaking spanish.

I don't really see the problem with any of those cases. As long as the coach is able to somehow communicate with the players and get good results out of them, who cares what language he speaks? He could speak nothing but Mongolian, but so what - shouldn't a coach be judged by his performance?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I don't really see the problem with any of those cases. As long as the coach is able to somehow communicate with the players and get good results out of them, who cares what language he speaks? He could speak nothing but Mongolian, but so what - shouldn't a coach be judged by his performance?

Not in the case of MTL. It could be in Quebec city, but not in MTL.

My point was to specify nobody have been "fired" because not speaking french.

Now, if you are right, why is Geoff Molson, Bergevin, Savard looking for somebody who can express himself in french, or course not necesseraly a quebecer? Gotta be a good reason.

As you probably recall, the Nords had Dave Chambers and later, Marc Crawford, who did not speak french, but the context in Qc city is way different then in MTL.

Anyway, I don't want to start another never ending discussion, this thread is not the place for this. I wanted to reply to our Glendale colleague, period. Lets not bring a mod to action ;-)

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Now, if you are right, why is Geoff Molson, Bergevin, Savard looking for somebody who can express himself in french, or course not necesseraly a quebecer? Gotta be a good reason.

I'm not saying it isn't a factor, I'm saying it shouldn't be. Would you rather have a coach who wins games but doesn't speak the language, or a coach who speaks it perfectly but loses games? My position is that fans are silly to get worked up about what language the coach speaks.

It's funny that you mentioned Real Madrid... José Mourinho got his start as Bobby Robson's translator in Portugal! Meaning there are ways of getting around the fact that the coach might not speak the local lingo, and it's not considered to be a problem everywhere. Giovanni Trapattoni can barely speak German but had two relatively lengthy and relatively successful stints with German-speaking clubs. I think it really only becomes an issue when the team isn't playing well, then fans start picking everything apart.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

If you're talking about Cunneyworth, take note he was hired on a interim basis for the rest of the current season. Therefore, he was not "fired".

Want a exemple of what should a good fella do? Jesse March, coach of the MLS Impact, learning basic french at the speed of light. Don't ask this to Saku Koivu who was not able to learn a simple sentence in more then 10 years.

Hoping this will open up the ideas and conceptions of culture and society of many people.

Enjoy hockey!

Big mistake bringing footie into the conversation. There are hundreds of examples of teams coached by managers wh don't speak the language of the fans. Until he resigned not too long ago the English national team coach was fabio capello who's Italian and was far from fluent in the english language. Luiz Felipe scolari was hired as the manager of Chelsea despite being Brazilian and not speaking English. When he did attempt some English he pronounced the team chel sia. Etc etc etc

ebergeron

Mar 27, 2012
Quebec
www.websimhockey.com
Felipe Alou did not speak a word in French and was still one of the most popular figure in sports in Montreal for years! He was even more popular than most of the Expos players, if not all of them.

Just saying..

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Felipe Alou did not speak a word in French and was still one of the most popular figure in sports in Montreal for years! He was even more popular than most of the Expos players, if not all of them.

Just saying..

I could write for hours on this. Its just not the place. My comment was related to hockey in MTL. Of course I liked Felipe, I like Marc Trestman etc...

People who read my posts since I post here already know I would love to see Malone/Tippett in Qc city, bringing a team waiting or not for the moving truck almost to finals. What's their magic spell for god sake? ;-)

Just saying the mods.

I am sorry to have started all this, I just wanted to reply to a Glendale colleague who got it wrong.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor

Enjoy hockey!

As you said Cunneyworth has not been fired...as we speak he is still the coach until they announced the new one..also they already offered him an assistant coach position for next year...I think we will celebrate big time in a couple of weeks!!

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010
I can't wait to see Quebec City to get an NHL team back...but I too worry about how it can survive in an increasingly anglophobic society.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I can't wait to see Quebec City to get an NHL team back...but I too worry about how it can survive in an increasingly anglophobic society.

Are you kidding?

MONTREAL is split between anglophobes and anglophones.

Québec City is an international City full of tourists and mostly without the stupid and ridiculous inferiority complex Montrealers have (and their stupid far-left ideas, but that's another thing).

I'm sick and tired of people (because of the media) thinking ''Montreal = The rest of Québec''.

It's tiresome!

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale

Guys, the mention of letting a coach/staff member go because they didn't speak French has come up more than a few times on here and nobody said a thing. All of the sudden I mention it and it's an issue? I have many relatives from Quebec (including my French-Canadian grandfather) that would support the claim that there is discrimination based on language up there.

I'm not saying EVERYONE subscribes to this in QC, I was replying to the poster that said anyone foreign is asked for their papers, which is not even close to being true. The State, specifically the MCSO had their power taken away by Napolitano to check the imigration status of anyone recently. If you had the illegal immigration issues we have down here, you would understand more about it.

Sorry off topic.

The Coyotes' deal is all over the radio this morning. Along with the COG/GJ/NHL super secret meetings continuing...

Which way is up?

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
Sorry off topic.

The Coyotes' deal is all over the radio this morning. Along with the COG/GJ/NHL super secret meetings continuing...

Which way is up?

You know what else is news this morning? this.

Byron Schlomach, chief economist at the institute, said the proposed management fee to the team is too high, because comparable facilities garner around $10 million. That could be reason for the group to sue, he said.

“They seem like a gambler with their last buck,†Schlomach said in a telephone interview.

“There’s no way they are going to spend it on a meal, they are going to try to get back in the game.â€

This will not be easy. I don't know what they are saying on the radio in PHX this morning, but every rose has it's thorn. ;)

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Guys, the mention of letting a coach/staff member go because they didn't speak French has come up more than a few times on here and nobody said a thing. All of the sudden I mention it and it's an issue? I have many relatives from Quebec (including my French-Canadian grandfather) that would support the claim that there is discrimination based on language up there.

I'm not saying EVERYONE subscribes to this in QC, I was replying to the poster that said anyone foreign is asked for their papers, which is not even close to being true. The State, specifically the MCSO had their power taken away by Napolitano to check the imigration status of anyone recently. If you had the illegal immigration issues we have down here, you would understand more about it.

Sorry off topic.

Which way is up?

You replied and thats all fine now....

What better way to get back on track then?????? YOU NAMED IT: A NEW THREAD!

We need a new thread new thread please LOL!

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
this just in: COG public meeting Tuesday night is being moved to jobing.com Arena...

coincidence? or... conspiracy?

baseless unsubstantiated rumor?
:sarcasm:

I don't see it anywhere on their official city of Glendale page. I would have imagined news like that to have made their website page.

So exactly where did you hear that? and why would they need to in order to approve a $17M arena management fee in the budget for next season? one likely that will prompt Goldwater to sue?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
this just in: COG public meeting Tuesday night is being moved to jobing.com Arena...

coincidence? or... conspiracy?

baseless unsubstantiated rumor?
:sarcasm:

Don't think I wanna be rude...

One could make jokes saying it makes more people in the stands.

I AM KIDDING, don't get upset. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad