Phoenix LIV:E and Let Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
IIRC the relocation fee for Atlanta to Winnipeg was the first time such a fee had been imposed, at least by the NHL. The last relocations, which were 10+ years ago, did not charge a relocation fee.

I think these are the only moves / sales that required extra fees to be paid

1972 - NYI paid $6M expansion fee and a $4M indemnification fee to the NYR

1982 - Colorado Rockies move to New Jersey to become the Devils. $35M indemnification fee to NYR, PHIL, and NYI

1993 - Anaheim is granted an expansion team for $50M. Bettman wants Anaheim to pay an indemnification fee of $25M to LOS, but Anaheim tells Bettman to blow. NHL pays LOS $25M from the expansion fee.

2011 - Atlanta Thrashers move to Winnipeg to become the Jets. $60M relocation fee paid.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don't think it makes sense for PKP to buy right now. If there is no buyer, the league cannot sell for relocation even if it would be better for the league.

Oh, but it makes absolute sense for PKP to buy right now.

The hockey team itself won't be profitable while playing in the old barn, but Quebecor Media (PKP's company) will benefit A LOT from owning a team.

I know you are very well informed so you probably already know what I'm gonna tell you, but if you think that it doesn't make any sense to buy the team now, it is probably because you forgot about those details.

- Videotron (owned by PKP) is the largest ISP, TV and phone/cellphone provider in the Province of Quebec. Bringing a team back to Quebec City would certainly make them gain a lot of new clients. People in QC will drop Bell (Habs) and add Videotron (Nordiques). By the way, it has already started. If PKP were to pass on a team right now, that would hurt his business a lot. People would turn on him. Hockey in Quebec City is a VERY VERY VERY emotive subject. You don't want a 1M people market turning their back on your company.

- Quebecor Media owns TVA Sports and having Nordique games to show would help TVA Sports challenge RDS hegemony.

- This is close tied with my last point: Owning your own TV network gives you all the advertising money directly and you don't have to negociate a TV deal. Think YES Network. You don't need a new building to make money like that.

- Quebecor Media is a large media empire and the arrival of the Nordiques would be the last piece of the puzzle in their "convergence" (don't know the word in English, I'm sorry) plan. Owning the Nords would help them sell a lot of Videotron subscription (internet, phone, TV), magazines and newspapers. It would also help them sell ads for their TV networks and Nordiques related internet content.

Even while playing in the old building, a NHL team would be a cash cow for Quebecor Media, even if the team itself loses money. It makes perfect sense for Peladeau to buy a team now, even if he'll have to "live" in the old Colisée for three years.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Has there been any declaration by any NHL owner this year that they want to relocate this year? Or just numerous delcarations by fans that they want a team to relocate this year?

Too bad this isn't Nascar, eh? They do a lot of fan surveys and often bend to the will of the squeaky (example: the rules changes to break up tandem racing at Talladega and Daytona). And... apologies to those who feel suicidal or murderous at the mention of the other N word (which of course... is Nascar).

Nope, none. There are teams that are bleeding money or need a new arena but none of them are even threatening to relocate anytime soon.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Sitren: ‪#Glendale‬ memo also said competitive bid wasn't required because it's a professional service. We don't believe this stands.

Sitren cites court of appeals case where La Paz County cited same exception. ‪#Coyotes‬

Sitren: Court ultimately concluded professional services mean discipline that requires specialization. Ex architects, attorneys. ‪#Coyotes‬

Sitren: Arena management doesn't meet this standard. "I'm not aware of specialized training or degrees for arena management." ‪#Coyotes‬

Oh oh oh, this could really hurt Glendale! It looks like previous jurisprudence makes their case that what they did was legal Kaput!

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Sitren: ‪#Glendale‬ memo also said competitive bid wasn't required because it's a professional service. We don't believe this stands.

Sitren cites court of appeals case where La Paz County cited same exception. ‪#Coyotes‬

Sitren: Court ultimately concluded professional services mean discipline that requires specialization. Ex architects, attorneys. ‪#Coyotes‬

Sitren: Arena management doesn't meet this standard. "I'm not aware of specialized training or degrees for arena management." ‪#Coyotes‬

Oh oh oh, this could really hurt Glendale! It looks like previous jurisprudence makes their case that what they did was legal Kaput!

OH no!!! You mean the whole trial lasted 25 minutes and it's all over for Glendale?? This is bad news :cry: Glendale shouldn't even make their lawyers work now. Just fold because Sitren can't be beat as we all know. :sarcasm:

dennilfloss

Yes I love disco!
Jun 7, 2011
Ottawa
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
You been saying that for the last two pages of post but I have yet to read why it a bad idea for PKP not to close now while he's the only game in town.

From the movie Glengarry Glen Rossdale:

KEf4D.jpg

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Goldwater presenting their arguments pretty well, but the judge seems skeptical about their validity so far.

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Judge will likely rule today to give Goldwater more time to collect signatures for a referendum if I'm understanding correctly.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Is this judge for real?

"Lisa Halverstadt ‏@LisaHalverstadt

Judge Fink: I may just deal with the injunction issue today. Can you explain reasons for that again? #Coyotes"

was he not even listening?

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
So this court case is for not following procedures for the AMF only? I thought they were combining everything?

blahhhh, when will they be in court over the missing exhibits then?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Reading between the lines...

it sounds like judge won't grant an injunction, but City admits it's not an emergency, so there is some ability to file for a referendum over the lease?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

it sounds like judge won't grant an injunction, but City admits it's not an emergency, so there is some ability to file for a referendum over the lease?
I agree... I see this going to referendum along the sales tax issue. It's going to make for one heck of a mess in Nov.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA

What GWI is unhappy about is that people may not sign petition for referendum, thinking that it won't be held. 3 tweets by Lisa Halverstadt from the courtroom...
  • Birnbaum: "The emergency clause never took effect." Wrote a letter to Goldwater saying the same.
  • Judge Fink: It strikes me as odd that #Glendale residents who look up ordinance will see that it passed as emergency measure when it didn't.
  • Birnbaum acknowledges it's on the books as an emergency measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna