Phoenix LIV:E and Let Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Putting aside the issue of whether Jamison is able to raise the funds to close a deal with the NHL (big IF, IMO), I don't think today's hearing had much impact on anything. The judge denied the GWI's request for relief. The CoG stipulated well before the hearing that the ordinance was not passed by emergency clause, so that issue cannot be a surprise to the NHL or Jamison. Since the CoG stipulated to that point, the GWI didn't really "win" anything. Their motion simply mischaracterized the CoG's action.

At this point, the citizens can seek to have the matter referred for a vote in Fall. I think it is likely they will be able to get in on the ballot. What will that mean in terms of Jamison and the NHL closing? I don't think it will have any effect assuming Jamison can come up with the money. However, Jamison's deal with the NHL is probably conditioned upon him having an arena to play in, and if the CoG deal falls through, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamison's deal doesn't include some kind of a relocation clause so he can move the team.

If he can just move the team, why would the COG approve the deal? And is there not a clause that if they want move the team they need to pay 350 million?

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
Putting aside the issue of whether Jamison is able to raise the funds to close a deal with the NHL (big IF, IMO), I don't think today's hearing had much impact on anything. The judge denied the GWI's request for relief. The CoG stipulated well before the hearing that the ordinance was not passed by emergency clause, so that issue cannot be a surprise to the NHL or Jamison. Since the CoG stipulated to that point, the GWI didn't really "win" anything. Their motion simply mischaracterized the CoG's action.

At this point, the citizens can seek to have the matter referred for a vote in Fall. I think it is likely they will be able to get in on the ballot. What will that mean in terms of Jamison and the NHL closing? I don't think it will have any effect assuming Jamison can come up with the money. However, Jamison's deal with the NHL is probably conditioned upon him having an arena to play in, and if the CoG deal falls through, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamison's deal doesn't include some kind of a relocation clause so he can move the team.

But GJ said he needs the lease deal in order for him to be able to secure the investors he needs. With the uncertainty over the lease it is not likely he can raise the funds needed.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
If he can just move the team, why would the COG approve the deal? And is there not a clause that if they want move the team they need to pay 350 million?

If the CoG cannot deliever a lease because the contract is declared void by public referendum, there is no money due under a voided lease. And, why would the CoG do any of this if it is ultimately up to public vote, yet the CoG conceeded last week it was not seeking to enforce the emergency clause to protect the vote from referendum

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
But GJ said he needs the lease deal in order for him to be able to secure the investors he needs. With the uncertainty over the lease it is not likely he can raise the funds needed.

He has a lease subject to public referendum. Worst case is the lease is declared void. I am speculating that Jamison and the NHL would consider this situation as part of their deal, and allow Jamison the right to relocate should the lease for him to play at the Job be declared void. Jamison could then relocate, which may, in fact, make it easier for him to get the $$$.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He has a lease subject to public referendum. Worst case is the lease is declared void. I am speculating that Jamison and the NHL would consider this situation as part of their deal, and allow Jamison the right to relocate should the lease for him to play at the Job be declared void. Jamison could then relocate, which may, in fact, make it easier for him to get the $$$.

If the NHL considered relocation they would sell the team to the highest bidder. Plus I doubt they would let Jamison continue to own a team who has no arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad