Phoenix LIV:E and Let Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lux Aurumque*

Disappointing. The vote should have been ruled invalid, and Glendale should have been forced to put arena management up for competitive bid.

The judge must be a Coyotes fan, because it, frankly, makes absolutely no sense that Glendale is allowed to simply hand the arena management contract over to Jamison without seeking cheaper options.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Disappointing. The vote should have been ruled invalid, and Glendale should have been forced to put arena management up for competitive bid.

The judge must be a Coyotes fan, because it, frankly, makes absolutely no sense that Glendale is allowed to simply hand the arena management contract over to Jamison without seeking cheaper options.

Im sure that's your informed legal opinion?
:sarcasm:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

So is that what happened? Did the judge rule it's all ok?

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
^ He invalidated the emergency clause portion of the ordinance, but that was it. Ultimately, nothing was accomplished.

It's called common sense.

I think that the 30 day period for a petition to hold a referendum will start after the judge signs the order invalidating the E.C.. That would put the end of the period in mid to late July, my understanding is all referendums need validation by Jul 5. I don't think the vote on it (assuming the petition goes through) would be until Nov 2013.

Put that in your two weeks and smoke it.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I'd like to hear general thoughts from HFboards resident lawyers; Yukon Joe, CF, (goyotes & Mork too if you guys are still lurking about...any other lurkers)... would be good for some discussion.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale

Why is that? Because you are so concerned about how Glendale conducts their business and spends their money? :sarcasm:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I wonder if the NHL is willing to gamble on a November Referendum. It could come back no subsidy. All the losses could be the NHL's problem.

If I was PKP I wouldn't agree to running the team for a year and then moving. I couldn't be sure some legal roadblock would be thrown my way at the last minute.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nope, just that art. 7 is invalid, the rest of the ord. will stand.

I thought since it wasn't an emergency the city had to give more notice to the public before they could vote. I'm probably incorrect but it's what I thought.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I wonder if the NHL is willing to gamble on a November Referendum. It could come back no subsidy. All the losses could be the NHL's problem.

If I was PKP I wouldn't agree to running the team for a year and then moving. I couldn't be sure some legal roadblock would be thrown my way at the last minute.

The same thing happened when winnipeg jets were relocated, I really hope PKP does this because he gets a team. Don't think there would be roadblocks.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I'd like to hear general thoughts from HFboards resident lawyers; Yukon Joe, CF, (goyotes & Mork too if you guys are still lurking about...any other lurkers)... would be good for some discussion.

Putting aside the issue of whether Jamison is able to raise the funds to close a deal with the NHL (big IF, IMO), I don't think today's hearing had much impact on anything. The judge denied the GWI's request for relief. The CoG stipulated well before the hearing that the ordinance was not passed by emergency clause, so that issue cannot be a surprise to the NHL or Jamison. Since the CoG stipulated to that point, the GWI didn't really "win" anything. Their motion simply mischaracterized the CoG's action.

At this point, the citizens can seek to have the matter referred for a vote in Fall. I think it is likely they will be able to get in on the ballot. What will that mean in terms of Jamison and the NHL closing? I don't think it will have any effect assuming Jamison can come up with the money. However, Jamison's deal with the NHL is probably conditioned upon him having an arena to play in, and if the CoG deal falls through, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamison's deal doesn't include some kind of a relocation clause so he can move the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Putting aside the issue of whether Jamison is able to raise the funds to close a deal with the NHL (big IF, IMO), I don't think today's hearing had much impact on anything. The judge denied the GWI's request for relief. The CoG stipulated well before the hearing that the ordinance was not passed by emergency clause, so that issue cannot be a surprise to the NHL or Jamison. Since the CoG stipulated to that point, the GWI didn't really "win" anything. Their motion simply mischaracterized the CoG's action.

At this point, the citizens can seek to have the matter referred for a vote in Fall. I think it is likely they will be able to get in on the ballot. What will that mean in terms of Jamison and the NHL closing? I don't think it will have any effect assuming Jamison can come up with the money. However, Jamison's deal with the NHL is probably conditioned upon him having an arena to play in, and if the CoG deal falls through, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamison's deal doesn't include some kind of a relocation clause so he can move the team.

To where might he move it?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

So why would the NHL take $170 million from Jamison when they could get that from PKP and another $60 million in relocation fees.

No way would anyone in Quebec allow Jamison to own and have his team play in QC.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Interesting thoughts, thanks goyotes.

good to see you still lurking about and posting! I haven't seen you post in a while man, good to see you're still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad