Phoenix CXII: The Devil is in the Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
To quote from the 'official' feature story from the team's web site...

"Regarding the team’s future home, [Team President and CEO Anthony] LeBlanc reaffirmed that a number of cities within the Valley have reached out to the Coyotes to discuss a new arena.

“Now we have to make an economic decision, and the reality is… the majority of the fan base tends to be on the other side of the Valley. So we are exploring it quite aggressively… I am very confident that we will have some kind of announcement out to the community in the next six weeks.â€"

Source: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=875665

AKA, 3 fortnights ;)

I guess during the town hall meeting, nobody asked what happened to the end of regular season timeline, he said 2 months ago?

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Poor Tony, has to quote from his favorite movie, "Dumb and dumber" "So you say we have a chance"! Sorry Tony you have very little chance of staying in this Valley. I have never heard a human being apologize more for having to spin his answers to each of these devoted fans. This poor guy is as nervous as a cat, can't even sit in the chair because he knows he is lying to all of these good folks.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Poor Tony, has to quote from his favorite movie, "Dumb and dumber" "So you say we have a chance"! Sorry Tony you have very little chance of staying in this Valley. I have never heard a human being apologize more for having to spin his answers to each of these devoted fans. This poor guy is as nervous as a cat, can't even sit in the chair because he knows he is lying to all of these good folks.

Can we start the next thread title?

Phoenix CXIII: Details? You Want Details?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
They did, however, admit that they don't have the money renovate AVMC enough to play there.

Yeah, I think it was pretty clear that AVMC was a red herring all along

Not to be picky but...... Re: AVMC renovation

I'm still waiting for the video to be released but I'm not convinced IA admitted to not having the money to do it.

Too lazy to find the point in the video where he says it, but I was there as well, and the word LeBlanc used was 'Astrobucks' (to renovate AVMC). Some of you should be able to have fun with that...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Too lazy to find the point in the video where he says it, but I was there as well, and the word LeBlanc used was 'Astrobucks' (to renovate AVMC). Some of you should be able to have fun with that...

LeBluster's(tm) reference to 'Astrobucks' is probably related to Killion's reference to this group as being 'moonshot' artists...

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Maybe because nobody took it as a hard date to begin with?? :dunno:

Unfortunately, I think that there are alot of Coyote fans that actually believe his blustering. On this thread we know better, but on other threads people seem to take him at his word:amazed:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Maybe because nobody took it as a hard date to begin with?? :dunno:

Unfortunately, I think that there are alot of Coyote fans that actually believe his blustering. On this thread we know better, but on other threads people seem to take him at his word:amazed:

Very Progressed...Dec 7, 2015

"During Monday's NHL Board of Governors meeting, Coyotes co-owner CEO and president Anthony LeBlanc said the team is "in very progressed talks with the city of Phoenix" about the creation of a joint arena with the Phoenix Suns, NHL.com's Dan Rosen wrote.

LeBlanc also noted the Coyotes' "tight alliance with Arizona State University," suggesting the possibility of a new facility in Tempe. ASU's top-tier hockey team moved up to the NCAA level this season and will play several of its home games at Glendale's Gila River Arena, the Coyotes' current home ice."

Source: http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-...oyotes-announce-they-are-exploring-new-arenas

Very, Very Progressed...Jan 27, 2016

"“I’m very positive that we will have something out in the community if not in the next month or two but certainly by the end of the regular season,†LeBlanc told Doug and Wolf."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/coyotes-anthony-leblanc-says-arena-news-coming-soon-012716

Super, Very, Very Progressed...Mar 7, 2016

"The Arizona Coyotes are set to announce their plans for a new arena in April, and that new arena will likely be built in one of two areas in the East Valley, sources tell ABC15."

Source: http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-...a-plans-in-april-tempe-scottsdale-most-likely

Extremely, Super, Very, Very Progressed...March 26, 2016

"Coyotes president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said he expects to make an announcement on the team’s future arena plans in the next six weeks, but when pressed on this after the meeting LeBlanc said if it had to be pushed into June that would not pose any problems. A more concrete deadline for the Coyotes would be to make an announcement before the fiscal year expires on June 30 and free agency begins on July 1. Corporate sponsors would like clarity heading into the new fiscal year, as would free agents, but LeBlanc also noted that season ticket holders would like clarity more immediately as they ponder renewing."

Source: http://arizonasports.com/story/6083...a-oliver-ekman-larsson-trade-auston-matthews/

Last edited:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Ya, if I was a Coyote fan I would be disappointed and frustrated by all of these deadlines. I believed back in the fall that we would be here with the new deadline. But LeBlank keeps making empty promises and falsely raising expectations of the fan base.:shakehead

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Ya, if I was a Coyote fan I would be disappointed and frustrated by all of these deadlines. I believed back in the fall that we would be here with the new deadline. But LeBlank keeps making empty promises and falsely raising expectations of the fan base.:shakehead

Agreed, how can this not be frustrating for the local crowd is beyond me. Perhaps I'm looking at this too literally. Afterall, he states something in writing, his media mouthpieces and the local media run all over it.

If this was my team, I would expect nothing less than more details on the progress. Understood, they won't be in a position to discuss a final deal. But come on, there's been new arena talk going on for 9 months now....a short list perhaps. Sounds to be it's a continued series of perhaps this or maybe that or very likey rule this or that out.

Just to get a another longer timeline....and maybe pushed to June now? Very disappointing.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Oh Tony... You're a character. I've never seen anyone - and I'll give him credit for trying - attempt to shape the narrative of a storyline in their favor even when facts indicate otherwise.

"Unfortunately, the situation we’re in is not something we created. For all intent and purpose we were kicked out of our building."

Ah... yeah. Yeah it was, Tony. When you fleece a community for 15M per season for what originally amounted to a subsidy to pay off a payday lender in Fortress and prop up the franchise is absolutely something you created.

You have not been kicked out of "your" building. It's not "your" building to begin with. It belongs to Glendale taxpayers. Even if we want to ignore that portion of the comment as semantics, Tony... you're still playing in the building and you still have the option to play in the building but not at the cost it was costing Glendale. The city can't help if you were dumb enough to hire the city attorney to work for your team.

"And, then we were placed with a short term lease. Let me be very up front, it was not something we requested. We did not request a two-year deal. That was absolutely the city's requirement."

Again, LeBluster(TM) wanting to sound like the little kid that had his lunch money taken away when in fact it was him stuffing his buddy into a locker and then blaming it on the big bully Johnny. Talk about taking it for the team. Glendale was willing, and has been willing to sign a long term lease, but not with the team as arena manager but as a tenant and not receiving 15M per season.

"We’ve been outspoken there have been a number of groups within the valley that reached out to us. Am I sitting here today saying its an absolute that that we’re going to leave Glendale long-term. No. I’m not saying that, but I am getting pretty close to saying that."

He has been outspoken... I'll give him that. That's the most truthful thing he said the entire time. I guess zero is a number because ASU, Downtown and Salt River are just hopes and dreams with his apparent time schedule.

As for Glendale and long term.... That's him leaving the door open a crack so he can grovel, beg and plead to Glendale will let him stay.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Ya, quite the series of comments, narrative from Leblanc. Weve heard/read it all before of course and Im sure we'll read/hear more of the same from him & from league personnel as the clock winds down. "Kicked out. Didnt want to leave" & so on & so forth. Not accepting any responsibility whatsoever, all Glendales fault, they dont honor their agreements, playing politics with the team....

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
^^^ Ya, quite the series of comments, narrative from Leblanc. Weve heard/read it all before of course and Im sure we'll read/hear more of the same from him & from league personnel as the clock winds down. "Kicked out. Didnt want to leave" & so on & so forth. Not accepting any responsibility whatsoever, all Glendales fault, they dont honor their agreements, playing politics with the team....

And local hardcores have been worn down by so many years of outside criticism and derision that they'd rather believe the Lyle Lanleys of IceArizona than sit back and look at this objectively - because at least Leblanc and co. act like they're on our side.

This is all just so ugly. All I ever wanted was to watch the greatest game in the world. Instead, I got the world's worst soap opera. :laugh: :cry:

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Wildcat, best post I have seen in awhile, how can people not see the fraud being perpetrated on them by these hucksters? The town hall was yet another deception, witnessed by GMDM! They must have something on Don for him to go up in front of the fans and lie about all of the fantasies he has for this club. Seriously, they have money and no hope and somehow this poor idiot is up in front of these folks telling them how much they have to look forward to! What a joke, not only do these clowns have no idea what tomorrow looks like they can't even be honest with their own management? Shame on Don for not telling these jerks to shove it!

The end is near! The town hall charade could well have been the last act!

I just finished watching the hour of town hall deception. OMG, this guy has some pretty serious Psychological problems. He honestly believes this deception and is willing to stand up in front of his victims in an effort to squeeze more from these folks that worship at his alter.

This Tony has a Norm Green type of persona, a true creep, just ask the folks who work for him!

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
And local hardcores have been worn down by so many years of outside criticism and derision that they'd rather believe the Lyle Lanleys of IceArizona than sit back and look at this objectively - because at least Leblanc and co. act like they're on our side.

This is all just so ugly. All I ever wanted was to watch the greatest game in the world. Instead, I got the world's worst soap opera. :laugh: :cry:

It is not this ownership group that let you down. IA is in WAY over their heads here.This whole mess is on the league. They approved a bunch of underfunded overextended wannabes.They helped pressure and mislead Glendale council to get the $15 million subsidy.Then NHL lead the way with all the Glendale bashing when the clowns messed up and lost that gold mine. The NHL allowed these Clowns in the door. The Clowns are just doing what Clowns do..make fools of themselves.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
...The city can't help if you were dumb enough to hire the city attorney to work for your team...

Speaking of Glendale's former Mr Tindall...

Apparently, when the City of Murfreesboro (TN) hired him(1) to be their city attorney, back in Oct 2015, the city council neglected to check their own city charter(2), which states the city attorney must have passed the Tennessee State Bar...

Oops!

Mr Tindall is currently listed(3) as the city's 'Special Counsel' as the next TN State Bar exam isn't until July 2016...

Source:

(1) http://www.murfreesboropost.com/craig-tindall-named-new-city-attorney-cms-43014

(2) http://www.murfreesboropost.com/city-attorney-hiring-takes-a-twist-cms-43152

(3) http://www.murfreesborotn.gov/Index.aspx?NID=161

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Fresh from Craigette...

Sources: Gary Bettman, Coyotes met with Valley officials to discuss new arena

To quote:

"NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Coyotes President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc had meetings Monday in the Valley with key potential stakeholders regarding a new arena in the greater Phoenix area, multiple sources confirmed to Arizona Sports.

Bettman and LeBlanc met with state leadership, officials from Arizona State University and officials from the City of Phoenix, including Mayor Greg Stanton.

Arizona Sports could not confirm whether Bettman and LeBlanc met with officials from the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community regarding a proposed location along the 101 corridor, though Bettman did tell Arizona Sports recently that the league has no face-value objections to the idea of an NHL arena on tribal lands."

Source: http://arizonasports.com/story/610442/gary-bettman-coyotes-new-arena-met-valley-officials/

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Fresh from Craigette...

Sources: Gary Bettman, Coyotes met with Valley officials to discuss new arena

To quote:

"NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Coyotes President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc had meetings Monday in the Valley with key potential stakeholders regarding a new arena in the greater Phoenix area, multiple sources confirmed to Arizona Sports.

Bettman and LeBlanc met with state leadership, officials from Arizona State University and officials from the City of Phoenix, including Mayor Greg Stanton.

Arizona Sports could not confirm whether Bettman and LeBlanc met with officials from the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community regarding a proposed location along the 101 corridor, though Bettman did tell Arizona Sports recently that the league has no face-value objections to the idea of an NHL arena on tribal lands."

Source: http://arizonasports.com/story/610442/gary-bettman-coyotes-new-arena-met-valley-officials/

Last gasp for the Coyotes .Bettman to threaten the city,the state and anyone else within earshot. Agree to build it or we are gone at the end of this season.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

"All these deadlines..."

There have been what..... two roughly sketched ones? The end of 2015 and this April.

If you want to call missing the end of 2015 "deadline" an empty promise that's your own opinon.

Last gasp for the Coyotes .Bettman to threaten the city,the state and anyone else within earshot. Agree to build it or we are gone at the end of this season.

Oh... so you were at the meeting and know what was said. Oooookay.

:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad