Player Discussion Phillip Danault's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
But we had 2 better 2nd round picks that we gave up, and the small French center will never measure up. And an Eller here a Subban there, add a Radulov here... it all ads up.

Danault will never measure up to Eller? Are you serious? Why bother with him being french by the way? Does it make you uncomfortable?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Third line centers routinely have a cap hit higher than 3M (Eller, Filppula, Pageau, Eakin, Bonino, Sutter, Zack Smith, Cizikas).

Danault's biggest problem is cause by the organisation. It's not his fault
He's NOT a good 3rd line center...well maybe he is but we don't know.
Never been used with 3rd line minute, 3rd line role, 3rd line wingers. Defensive mission, less offensive ice-time.
This year's injury make things even worst to evaluate him properly.

Can't give him long term and can't give him a big stepping stone for his next contract.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
All those u named are overrated and have awful contracts

Thanks for helping me out being more correct

Ok.

Danault's biggest problem is cause by the organisation. It's not his fault
He's NOT a good 3rd line center...well maybe he is but we don't know.
Never been used with 3rd line minute, 3rd line role, 3rd line wingers. Defensive mission, less offensive ice-time.
This year's injury make things even worst to evaluate him properly.

Can't give him long term and can't give him a big stepping stone for his next contract.

Eye test makes me happy with anything 3.5 or under.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Danault will never measure up to Eller? Are you serious? Why bother with him being french by the way? Does it make you uncomfortable?

Disregarding the language thing, their likely isn't much to choose between Eller and Danault. They aren’t identical in skill sets but are at the same tier. Both are solid as 3C. Different people will prefer one over the other. From my perspective arguing over which is better is the classic deck chairs on the Titanic. It’s like bottom pairing D aren’t a problem for us.

If you are counting on either of them as a 2C you will be disappointed.

I liked Lars but didn’t mind the trade. I like Danault but wouldn’t mind him being part of a trade to help us get a top 2 C.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Disregarding the language thing, their likely isn't much to choose between Eller and Danault. They aren’t identical in skill sets but are at the same tier. Both are solid as 3C. Different people will prefer one over the other. From my perspective arguing over which is better is the classic deck chairs on the Titanic. It’s like bottom pairing D aren’t a problem for us.

I liked Lars but didn’t mind the trade. I like Danault but wouldn’t mind him being part of a trade to help us get a top 2 C.
Sorry PD was terrible last playoffs. He was playing with patches and radulov and managed 2 assists in 6 games. I doubt Eller would be that bad. And by the ye test he doesn't go in the corners, he isn't sandpaper, he is fast with decent vision, thats it. Hands? not really. Tough along the boards, NOPE. Honestly still not sure why we have him outside of how bad our centers are. This has to be the worst middle in the league. Drouin, Danault, Froese. We don't even have a 4th listed on their website. Pathetic. Froese is our 3rd C and Danault is our 2C with his 25 points! The have DLR listed as a winger, which he so rarely plays that its laughable.

Hard to have any love for this team. When we trade chuck and sign max to a 5 year extension, I will be done as a hab fan. I won't invest any more emotion into this boring useless team with a moron manager and incomprehensible lineup and strategy.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Sorry PD was terrible last playoffs. He was playing with patches and radulov and managed 2 assists in 6 games. I doubt Eller would be that bad. And by the ye test he doesn't go in the corners, he isn't sandpaper, he is fast with decent vision, thats it. Hands? not really. Tough along the boards, NOPE. Honestly still not sure why we have him outside of how bad our centers are. This has to be the worst middle in the league. Drouin, Danault, Froese. We don't even have a 4th listed on their website. Pathetic. Froese is our 3rd C and Danault is our 2C with his 25 points! The have DLR listed as a winger, which he so rarely plays that its laughable.

Hard to have any love for this team. When we trade chuck and sign max to a 5 year extension, I will be done as a hab fan. I won't invest any more emotion into this boring useless team with a moron manager and incomprehensible lineup and strategy.

Danault had 22 ESP in 52 games in a shit season for the team. That's 35 ESP over 82 GP.

Tyler Johnson had 35, Guentzel had 36, ROR 34...Kadri 36.

It's not too shabby IMO. I don't want him with big minutes but he can make points.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Phillip Danault is an essential part of this team going forward under any circumstance. If we loose him in contract dispute it would be a huge detriment to this organization and once again another failure/missed oppourtunity.

We have had a hard time over the years finding top two centers. If we loose Danault where do you expect us to find three centers or four centers now. De La Rose can easily hold down the fourth line center job and Danault more than comfortably can play 3rd fiddle. They aren't all going to be offensive dynamo's but they are perfectly serviceable as the bottom two centers making finding top two centers more manageable.

Plekanecs is one option but doing this would be stunting the oppourtunity to trend this team in the direction of youth. Shaw is another option but he is a bit of a tournant when healthy - he can play up and down and side to side in the line-up. Danault is the definition of what we should be looking for in our third line center.

It kind of pains me that people are shitting over the most natural center we have although he is a third line center and then in the same breath shitting over the fact we don't have top two centers.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Me neither. Adding depth on C with a C like Danault that has demonstrated the ability to step up in case of injury (or lack of depth, same thing) might enable a team to part with an overpaid 3rd line C that could play as a 2nd line C in Montreal. (i.e., a Nugent-Hopkins in EDM).

A Danault, Pacioretty and Mete deal might be more attractive for a RNH, Klefbom and a pick (not a 1st round pick)?

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
Jesus Christ, pump the ****ing brakes buddy.

I'm by no means a member of the Danault fan club, but DLR is by no means a 3C, and is nowhere near emerging as a replacement for Danault. That is honestly rediculous.

Please gtfo of the internet Grant.

(Edit: this is not directed at you L4br3cqu3, only that shill McCagg)

I don't know this McCagg, but he fares pretty well for a dog, that is.

I know him, just a joke. Seriously, that guy is off his rocker.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I like Danault but wouldn’t mind him being part of a trade to help us get a top 2 C.

Wait, so you want to weaken our weakest position in order to make it stronger?

Can I trade you one of my tires and a gas card for a better tire? The other three tires will still be meh, but my plan is my plan my logic is logical.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Wait, so you want to weaken our weakest position in order to make it stronger?

Can I trade you one of my tires and a gas card for a better tire? The other three tires will still be meh, but my plan is my plan my logic is logical.

So getting rid of a 3C to get a 2C weakens us at the centre position?

You can find a stopgap veteran 3C.

Being married to third line players when the team is in woeful condition is not as logical as you think. Declaring players like Danault and Shaw untouchable is a fantastic way for desperate teams to keep themselves from progressing.

One of the worst teams in the league and trading a decent third liner as part of the package is a hard no? Visionary.

You can shove the condescension as well.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
No he will never.

And yes it does make me uncomfortable when our idiot GM brings in players just because they are French to make the idiots that are causing this language thing to be a problem happy. #nomoresmallfrenchcenters.

When they stop bringing in players just because they are French (Drouin, Danault) that's when i will stop the criticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They're near a deal, and it's a good thing as right now, Habs need Danault. However, I look at Jake Evans and Ryan Poehling as two guys that may make Danault expendable somewhere down the line.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

[MOD]
Eller 14gp 5goals 6assist 11points +5

Danault LMAO

Far from same tier.

You say different people will prefer one over the other, what you meant to say was that French Quebequers would prefer one over the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
take your pick from pretty much any center in the KHL......they would be just as good if not better then PD

What you are saying is that Danault is on the level of Anton Lander, Gilbert Brulé, Eric O'Dell, Peter Regin, Ryan Stoa, Ben Maxwell etc. ?

From the KHL, I'd take Shipachyov (probably doesn't ever wanna come back), Shalunov (doesn't want to come over) and Khokhlachev (may not want to be back).

Who else is as good as Danault? Vey? Stoa? Maxwell? O'Dell? Azevedo?

[MOD]

Danault LMAO

Far from same tier.

Eller also had:
2010-2011 7gp 0 goal 2 assists +1
2014-2015 12 gp 1 goal 2 assists +/-0

Very early to judge Danault based on 6 PO games...

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
[MOD]

Danault LMAO

Far from same tier.

You say different people will prefer one over the other, what you meant to say was that French Quebequers would prefer one over the other.

Eller is having a great playoff. Danault had a bad playoff last year playing in a completely ill-suited role.

Over 80 games, I don’t think there will be much too choose between them. I prefer Eller, but the difference between them isn’t hurting or helping this team.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
They're near a deal, and it's a good thing as right now, Habs need Danault. However, I look at Jake Evans and Ryan Poehling as two guys that may make Danault expendable somewhere down the line.

I hope Bergevin continues his policy of not giving a NMC. As much as I hate the Shaw contract, he can be moved. I remember Mike Gillis getting lower cap hits by handing out NMCs to the likes of Chris Higgins.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Danault had 22 ESP in 52 games in a **** season for the team. That's 35 ESP over 82 GP.

Tyler Johnson had 35, Guentzel had 36, ROR 34...Kadri 36.

It's not too shabby IMO. I don't want him with big minutes but he can make points.

are you seriously trying to say PD is on the same level as those 4 players?

[MOD]

if you had the chance to trade PD for any one of those guys, would you not do it?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
@Cobra Commander is on a rampage this morning but I understand his frustration. We don't want danault to turn into another DD situation where we praise him because he's a "bon gars d'ici" . We have drouin for that. Danault is a decent third liner but eller is clearly much better.

People saying oh well the difference between both is minimal clearly don't see the big picture of actually constructing a ******** compétitive hockey team.

Subban for weber, oh don't worry minimal difference.
Don't worry drouin will replace radulovs production , minimal difference.
Markov leads the team in primary assists for the past 5 years? Don't worry we can replace his production, minimal difference.

All these moves stack up and you end up with a plethora of unwanted pieces,bad contracts and no direction. But all these moves are lateral and minimal differences so it's not a big deal

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
@Cobra Commander is on a rampage this morning but I understand his frustration. We don't want danault to turn into another DD situation where we praise him because he's a "bon gars d'ici" . We have drouin for that. Danault is a decent third liner but eller is clearly much better.

People saying oh well the difference between both is minimal clearly don't see the big picture of actually constructing a ******** compétitive hockey team.

Subban for weber, oh don't worry minimal difference.
Don't worry drouin will replace radulovs production , minimal difference.
Markov leads the team in primary assists for the past 5 years? Don't worry we can replace his production, minimal difference.

All these moves stack up and you end up with a plethora of unwanted pieces,bad contracts and no direction. But all these moves are lateral and minimal differences so it's not a big deal
This.

Many of you need to understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: